flawless . . .

by annielaurie (no login)

Jon, how did you feel about the 1982 movie paying tribute to old Hollywood rather than Broadway/Radio City Music Hall/NYC? Since I am a fan of old Hollywood I rather enjoyed it and I liked the song "Let's Go to the Movies". I always wondered why John Huston took the movie in that direction. Why he chose "Camille"(did I get the title right?) as opposed to any other movie of the era. Did it have some significance to the director? Don't get me wrong, I love "NYC" and the tribute to NYC in the play, but I also liked the changes made in the 1982 movie. I did think the segment taken from "Camilla" was a bit too long and I don't quite understand the message, if there was one, that the scene was supposed to communicate to the characters in the movie or us, the audience. Just my two cents. But I've never quite understood the criticism of the movie. I thought it was very well done. Jon, since you know Aileen Quinn personally, do you happen to know how she reacted to the negative reviews of the film? Do you know how anyone associated with the film reacted to the reviews? Did Martin Charnin like the film version? Just curious. I can appreciated missing some songs and scenes, but I loved the movie just the same and enjoyed the new song and scenes. Both the play and the movie are forever in my heart and I can fully appreciate both. As always, thank you for your comments and for sharing so much of your time and expertise on this forum!!

Posted on Sep 27, 2008, 8:46 PM
from IP address 72.75.9.155

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast