I saw the show last night

by -Grief- (Login -Grief-)

And it's truly wonderful. Most of the audience, including me, got teary multiple times during the show. The movie is one of my favorites, and I was very pleased that the show is absolutely true to the original movie. I saw Kiril as Billy and really liked him. His dancing is absolutely incredible, and his singing was totally fine, not standout, but certainly good enough. I was in the last row of the top balcony, so I couldn't see faces, but the view of the stage was just great. I think the mezzanine and balcony is a better view than the orchestra seats, because the stage is so deep, from the higher levels you can see from above, all the way back in three dimensions, while from the orchestra section you would just see from below.

My only complaints were Grandma's Song, which doesn't need to be in the show. People were complaining about the long run time (nearly 3 hrs), and of course I can't complain about spending MORE time watching a Broadway show, but that song was completely unnecessary. I didn't think it was funny or cute, and Grandma isn't really a big enough role to warrant a solo number. I wondered if Elton John thought there were just too many songs just with Billy, Mrs. Wilkinson, and Dad, and wanted to bring a different character into the vocal mix ... but I didn't find it entertaining at all.

I loved the little boy who played Michael, but I didn't love how he was directed. I prefer the movie Michael, who was sort of winsome and almost morose, whereas the Broadway Michael is really flashy and hammy. I'm sure the director wanted this effect to offset Billy's own winsome moroseness, and it was great contrast, but I'm just partial to the movie character. I think he is more real and less "kitsch."

Last complaint ... the man sitting behind me kept opening and checking his (silent) cellphone during the performance! The second time he did it, I held up my program as a barrier to block the very bright and distracting light. He got the point, and tried to open his phone from then on inside his coat, but I kept putting my program up because it was so annoying. Strangely enough, he was still into the show enough that he was crying, yet checking his phone about every 20 minutes!

Didn't mean for this to go on so long, but I HIGHLY recommend this show. Tickets are selling fast! I came home and bought myself another ticket for January ... that's how much I loved it!

Posted on Nov 20, 2008, 2:53 PM
from IP address 208.120.10.35

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Quantcast