Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • The Complete Little Orphan Annie, Volume One
    • Jon Merrill (no login)
      Posted Apr 27, 2008 10:39 AM

As an enthusiastic collector of the Harold Gray LOA comic strip, I have been waiting for a volume such as this for "a lifetime"! No one has ever done anything of this magnitude for the early years back to 1924, and much of it I have never seen, due to the fact that the Princeton University Library in New Jersey--my source for many LOA strip runs not available in reprint books--has the Chicago Tribune complete back only to 1930.

I have been in close contact with the strip compiler in Florida since the idea for this book was first thought about, and I impressed upon him the absolute necessity that EVERY strip must be included for the period indicated with no gaps, and that they MUST be in the CORRECT ORDER. This is one reason for the delay in the release of the book, which was supposed to come out in late February.

As owners of what we call the "Arf" book know, the volume, while a great idea, was compiled in a shoddy manner with some strips in the wrong order and with huge storyline gaps along the way encompassing 30-40% of the 1935-1945 time period. The Pacific Coast Comic reprint books are very good, but they also have gaps and are in no way a COMPLETE record of the LOA strip runs, the way this new book will be.

We all hold our collective breath that this book will be everything it should be and will be THE definitive work for the earliest LOA strip years.

Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement