Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Re: RE: understudy
    • Diane (no login)
      Posted May 21, 2008 8:13 PM

I agree it isn't an insult. It is just shocking to a young performer or any performer. They work so hard at their role and they get called upon to go on and be the best they can be and the some patrons in the audience responds in a negative matter. Yes, when they go on - the deliver and are amazing and I do believe that the audience is happy with the show. We all know that there isn't just one person that can play any role. How many little girls have played the part of Annie, not just on tour, but in Community Theater shows everyone. Each one of them doing a great job. I was just commenting on the responses from the audience. If it had happened once - I wouldn't have said anything, but I heard something every time they announced that Grace Etzkorn would be playing the role of Annie and that Sunny Naughton would be playing Kate. It was like some people felt they were getting a lesser show and if they really wanted to see Amanda as Annie, perhaps they weren't getting what they wanted, but no one walked out that I know of and the show was always wonderful when any of the understudies performed.

Another interesting story is the red hair. Grace wore a wig, so when she went outside the stage door, the fans there didn't know who Annie was, so they would have to ask, Who was Annie? One little girl as cute as cute can be once said to Grace, "Your not Annie, you don't have red hair!". Grace tried to tell her that she wore a wig. There was no way this little one was believing that this girl with long brown hair was Annie. She wanted Annie! Grace & I still laugh about that. We almost bought a wig at a wigstore once just for fun. Many of the cast wear them in between the matinee and the evening show so they don't take their pincurls out. Never did find the right wig. Back to what started this is I am so glad to have the list - we plan to go to New York this summer to see shows. There are so many we haven't seen. We can't wait, we hope to get understudies!
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement