Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Rather Funny Than Boring...
    • Alex (no login)
      Posted Jul 7, 2008 1:27 AM

Hi,

Dorothy Loudon and the others were very good as Miss Hannigan and I agree that they weren't basic or boring, but they all played the character well, in exactly the same way. Carol Burnett brought something unique to the role, which another actress, following the same script, with the same director and same 'floozy' costumes and radio-hugging scenes, couldn't have done. Smoochingwith the radio did make Miss Hannigan seem very cartoon-like but it wasn't Carol Burnett's fault. scenes like that were the director's attempt at being funny. It didn't work very well and at times, Miss Hannigan did seem a bit cartoon-like but, when a character's supposed to be horrible, one of the villains of the piece, I'd rather they be exaggerated and cartoon-like than dull, as Cathy Bates' Miss Hannigan was, dull and not in the least bit frightening.

Of course, it would be best if Miss Hannigan was neither "too funny" or "basic and boring" but, if it was a straight choice between the two, I know which I'd prefer.

Alex
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement