Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Wow! Thank You!
    • Alex (no login)
      Posted Jul 7, 2008 8:34 AM

Hi Julie,

Wow! I hope you didn't do that just on my account. I was only looking for a picture or two. The work I'm planning is for drama. We have to write an essay for our written portfolio and I chose to write about iconic characters in TV and film, and on stage, and how, over time, we come up with stereotypes about who they should be played by and how they should be portrayed.

I'm going to talk a bit about, for example, the different actors who've played James Bond, and how people never seem to agree on who they prefer, and how the same is true for Dr Who. I got the idea for the topic from i'd Do Anything and Nancy and Oliver are other characters I'm going to focus on.

There was such a diversity of entrants in I'd Do Anything and there were lots of disagreements amongst the judges. Some thought that Samantha, for example, was too young to play Nancy at 17 and others that Jodie was too old and Nancy should be young and fresh. There was a black boy among the 12 Olivers too, and my friends and I couldn't agree on whether he should play Oliver.

Annie is such a universally popular character, and one of the most stereotyped, with her trademark red curls, and I'm such a big Annie fan, that I want to include her, too. I wasn't aware that Annie had ever been played by a Black girl until recently, although I know it has toured in some non-white countries and I thought I might mention Adrienne, but couldn't find a single picture of her from Annie anywhere.

I think I've got plenty to write as it isn't supposed to be a huge essay and I picked a very broad topic, but it would be nice to know how the tour went. The articles said that people were very hostile about the idea of Adrienne playing Annie but that the producer hoped they would see why she got the part. Adriennne seemed quite nervous. It'd be nice to know what the response was once the show started.

Thanks!

Alex
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement