Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Another missed opportunity
    • Tina (no login)
      Posted Aug 3, 2008 6:38 AM

OK, I really need advice here. It seems like I am always saying "no" to my daughter when opportunities arise because these opportunities seem to happen at the wrong time.
      As some of you know, when my daughter was 8, she was offered the role of Kate and the 1st understudy to Annie in the Non-Union tour and we turned it down. Now, the most ironic thing happened.
      The other day, I was driving her downtown to meet with her voice teacher in Chicago (my daughter is 17 now, and going to be a senior in high school). In the car, she said to me, "Maybe I should forget about musical theatre in college and try to get a record deal before college starts." (One of her friends just signed with Radio Disney and is on tour with Corbin Bleu). So, I said, "Record producers don't just call you out of the blue! It takes lots of work...meetings, etc, and you haven't worked for this!" Anyway...
      At 5:30 that night, the phone rings (yep...out of the blue). It's a record producer from LA who got his hands on her head shot. He wanted her to come to LA on Saturday for an audition for a 3 girl pop band. They had lost their lead singer to a solo record deal. The new group is going to do a world tour and be in a movie. He told her that he picked 15 girls to audition out of hundreds of head shots.
      So...I told him that we couldn't make it to the auditions on Saturday, but if he doesn't find anyone, we would fly there next week. He told us that if she got the job, she would have to live in LA. She wants to do this and finish up high school in LA. Is this crazy? First of all, there is no guarantee that she would land the job, but what if she did? I would have to find her a chaperone to live with while she finishes high school, and then who knows what would happen with college plans? I wish this group was based in Chicago. I'm thinking that we should just forget the whole thing. What do you guys think?
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement