Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • casting tastes
    • Julie Stevens (no login)
      Posted Sep 11, 2008 5:35 PM

Tyrain:

I don't think Martin Charnin has changed his casting style much in all of the years I have known him. I would say that he casts a personality first and voice second. Andrea was not his original choice for Annie but the creators saw that the role called for a kid with more fire and spunk, which is how she ended up replacing Kristen. Each time a new Annie was cast, there was a "story" as to why but I would not feel comfortable speaking about that here. Remember, there are politics involved in show biz and there were ways that parents made Martin aware of their child's talent, so that he would consider them for the lead role.

Shelley, Sarah Jessica and Alyson Kirk were all the understudy to Annie before taking over the role. Allison Smith was found at a huge casting call and she was already in a Broadway show. It worked similarly on the tours. Kathy-Jo Kelly was an orphan on Broadway and sent out on a tour as Annie. Theda Stemler, Becky Snyder, Louanne and Mollie Hall were also orphans before they became Annie.

Julie
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement