Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • a memorable walk-on
    • Jon Merrill (no login)
      Posted Nov 11, 2008 10:24 PM

In 1991 I was helping out with a community theater group in New Jersey that performed Annie on a wooden platform set up in front of the famous marble staircase in the building that was used for the Warbucks Mansion in the 1982 movie.

With five minutes warning, they talked me into doing a walk-on in NYC. They found me an old hat and an overcoat and I was to be a husband and father to a couple of street people. The actress playing Lily quickly taught me the dance, and on I went. I was petrified the whole time and was glad that most of my onstage time was in a freeze while A Star To Be sang. I am definitely NOT an actor and have terrible stagefright, but I was glad to experience exactly once actually being on an Annie stage.

The only other (sort of) walk-on I did was in 1970 in San Francisco during one of the National Tours of Hair. At the very end, a Hair tradition was to invite the audience on stage to dance along with the actors during the long final number ("Let The Sunshine In"), so of course I did it. A buddy from Army basic training a few months before in Louisiana was doing the same thing, and he recognized me and said hello. Small world.

Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement