Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • A passing of another Sandy...Buster
    • Julie Stevens (no login)
      Posted Dec 23, 2008 10:56 AM

At 5:30 EST (12/22) I put our dear dog Buster to rest. He was diagnosed with Lymphoma a year ago and a course of chemo therapy prolonged his life an additional year. While he aged after the chemo, he still had a smile on his face and time to look for a ball. Two weeks ago the cancer invaded the lymph node near his neck and began to close his wind pipe. He had a hard time swallowing but loved to get canned food for dinner. Our assistant Lori hospiced him the last few weeks so he could get some one on one care. Before it got too painful, I made the decision to let him go today.

Although he never made it onto the Broadway stage, he was a great Sandy. He played tours, regional, stock and even schools. He was the only dog to let our daughter Jenna crawl all over him and lick her face until she laughed. Although he hated traveling, he loved performing and missed it terribly in his last years. But he had a great swan song. This fall Paul Newman was supposed to direct OF MICE AND MEN at the Westport Country Playhouse in Westport, CT. The production still went on after Mr. Newman passed away and Buster played the part of Candy's old dog. He loved going to the theater for four weeks, walking onstage, laying down on a pillow and walking off. More importantly he loved the company and the hugs and pets he got after the show. After all what's more important, the affection of your fellow actors or a good review in the New York Times. (He got both on that show).

I don't mean to dampen anyone's spirit on the holiday. If it weren't for a skinny young guy with long hair named Martin who had an idea for a musical with a dog, I would not have had the pleasure of spending so much of my life with a bunch of sandy colored mutts. And neither would the world. He was a great dog.

Love,
      Bill Berloni
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement