Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • bumps along the way
    • Julie Stevens (no login)
      Posted Jan 13, 2009 10:03 PM

I went to public school my whole childhood and when I was in 5th grade, my school was a part of a new music program. They gave every student an opportunity to study a classical instrument. I chose the violin and after a few private lessons with the visiting teacher, she told me I had no talent and should not play the violin.

When I was in High School, I took a music theory class and was the only vocalist in the class - the rest of the students were in the band/orchestra and played instruments (which I did not). My teacher told me he didn't want me in the class (he knew about my show biz career) and promised to make it difficult for me if I stayed. I really wanted to learn how to read music, so I stayed and he flunked me - gave me my first D ever in my entire school career. When my mother complained to the school, they told her that there was nothing they could do because the teacher was tenured.

When I was in my Freshman year at NYU Tisch School of the Arts, two of my acting teachers told me in my first semester that everything I learned up until that point was all wrong. They told me that my musical theatre background made me a bad actress and that they would have to re-teach me how to act. Nice, huh? Talk about being bitter and cruel.

When I first moved to LA, I attended a workshop with an agent who represented theatre actors. He mentioned in his Q&A portion of the workshop that he was only interested in taking on people with Broadway credits and not to be afraid to approach him during the break. So I went up to him, introduced myself, and asked if he would accept my headshot and consider meeting with me. He repeated that he was only interested in people with Broadway credits so I excitedly told him that I had a Broadway credit. He looked at my resume, saw "Annie" listed, and said to me in a condescending manner, "Yeah, but that was when you were a kid." As if the credit meant nothing or that I grew up to be an untalented performer. He completely blew me off and made me feel foolish.

These are just a few of the bumps along the way. Show biz is tough, people, and you have to really believe in yourself to stick with it and endure the constant rejection and challenges.

Julie

Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement