** All information exchanged on this discussion forum is assumed at the readers own risk. S.O.C.I., its officers, directors, webmasters and members do not endorse its contents and are not liable in any manner for the accuracy, reliability and safety of this information. The administrators of this site reserve the right to remove any postings at their discrection.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Camelot Motors Info Please

January 30 2005 at 7:11 PM
  (no login)
from IP address 64.228.178.116

I am looking for information on Camelot Motors Corporation, as to how long they were in business and how many of the 1957 Thunderbirds did they produce?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Don Smith
(no login)

Re: Camelot Motors Info Please

January 30 2005, 8:11 PM 

From our site, on Shay history: "On July 6, 1982, Shay Motors filed for liquidation of its assets, negociations with the Creditors' Committee having reached an impasse.

In April 1983, Camelot Motors Inc., doing business from a former warehouse in Marshall, Michigan, was authorized by a Federal Bankruptcy judge to purchase the tools, patents and other equipment of the defunct Shay Motors Corp. for $2.4 million and to re-start the production of the Model As and T-Birds. These cars were to be sold from $10,000 to $20,000. Camelot planned to build 400 cars in its first year and no more than 2,000 cars per year afterwards. They beefed up the Model A's frame and added windshield defrosters. In June 1983, they sold the Roadster for $11,765 retail ($9,975 to dealers), the Pick-Up for $12,495 retail ($10,595 to dealers) and the T-Bird around $19,000 retail (including a V-8, whereas Shay's T-Bird had only a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder). The Roadster's optional equipment list was shorter than in Shay's time, including only a rumble seat heater, automatic transmission, chrome spokes or entirely chrome wheels, radio, whitewalls and the rear trunk & rack. They were produced until 1986 and a phaeton model was eventually added to the line. After a short stay in Marshall, they relocated to the big town of Quincy, Michigan, in a larger building.
Camelot Motors Inc. had been founded in March 1983 by Paul G. Housey in Indiana. Housey, a native of Detroit, attended Wayne State University until he went into the Air Force. After his discharge in 1965, he went to work at the Ford Motor Co. as a process engineer. Housey had also briefly been employed by Shay in 1979."

At this time we do not have figures on production for Camelot T-birds (1955 replicas not '57).

Don Smith
President, SOCI

Respond to this message   

(Login handymanwood)

Good One.

January 31 2005, 7:59 AM 

Excellent reply Don.
From 1986 onwards, Regal Roadsters has been producing a T'Bird replica which, although it was designed from the ground up, might very well incorporate some components from the Shay and Camelot T'Birds since that company bought a lot of Camelot's parts after the latter went out of business.
Gary

Gary M Wood
Asst web master for Gilles Bachand's
Shay Model A Informational web site.
Membership Officer for the SOCI.
Shay Owners Club International

Respond to this message   
Paul Housey
(no login)

Info on Camelot Motors

June 30 2014, 6:42 PM 

If you are still interested, my # is (517) 677-2472

Respond to this message   
mike chanter
(no login)

info

July 1 2014, 2:29 PM 

I see paul Housey has responded back...interesting !....paul, where were you a process engineer at ford ?.....what division ?...I was in powertrain ( it used to be called EEE bldg. ( engine and electrical engineering...now closed up )

mike

Respond to this message   
Bill Hines
(no login)

Camelot info

July 12 2014, 12:39 PM 

Mike if you, Jeff or anyone else has had contact with Mr Housey please share any info you may have gained regarding Camelot Motors.

Thanks,
Bill

Respond to this message   
Bob Cowgill
(Login cowgillbob)

Camelot Motors

July 12 2014, 7:05 PM 

July 1, 2014 by Bob Cowgill

Summary of my conversation with Paul Housey, former owner of Camelot Motors Corp.

I spoke with Paul Housey by phone on July 1, 2014.

Paul worked for Harry Shay in 1977 or 1978. He was hired by Harry Shay to design the molds for the Model A and the T-Bird.

He left Shay for other work.

He purchased the Shay assets in 1983 and formed his own company, Camelot Motors. His original facility was a building in Marshall, MI that he rented from the City of Marshall.

He later moved to an 86,000 SF facility in Quincy, MI. In that facility he ran 2 production lines, 1 for Model As and 1 for T-Birds.

Phaetons were made in the last 2 or 3 months of Camelots production. He estimates that less than 15 Phaetons were built by his company.

In 1985 Mr. Housey was working on an $18 million contract with Budget Rent-a-Car. He attended the Budget Rent-a-Car meeting in Maui, Hawaii to finalize the contract. When he returned home from that meeting he had a notice on his desk from his insurance company stating that his product liability insurance coverage would increase from $355,000 annually to $3 million. He could not purchase product liability insurance at a reasonable price so he was forced to go out of business.

If you also read the Shay History information on this site it gives some other information.

Respond to this message   

Gary Wood
(Login gmwood)

Paul.

July 12 2014, 7:21 PM 

I also talked to Paul on the phone on July 2, 2014. Will be talking more with him later on.
Gary M Wood
Webmaster for the
www.shayhistory.com
Membership Officer for SOCI

Respond to this message   
Bill Hines
(no login)

T Birds Built

July 24 2014, 9:24 PM 

Hi Gary, in your conversations with Paul were you able to gain any information as to the actual number of T Birds built by Shay and/or Camelot. I know the Shay number has been put at 200, but is that actual, or a guesstimate? It appears unusual or unlikely that production ceased at exactly 200? Also there seems to be far fewer in existence?

Thanks for all your efforts on this site,

Bill

Respond to this message   

Gary Wood
(Login gmwood)

Bill.

July 27 2014, 9:19 AM 

We only talked about the 57 T-bird [molds] not much more. short call to just say hi for now.
Gary M Wood
Webmaster for the
www.shayhistory.com
Membership Officer for SOCI

Respond to this message   
donnie zinsmeister
(Login drzins)

shay/camelot

July 26 2014, 10:23 PM 

Hello Jeff
I have owned 2 Camelot T-birds(see picture page 69).I presently own a replica of a 1957 t-bird built by
Camelot.I have some sales pamphlets and other information.If you will call me at 256 737 9090 we will talk about Camelots.By the way, I sold my white 55 Camelot t-bird for $18,000,which may be a record for
this brand of cars.
Thank you
Donnie zinsmeister

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Camelot Motors Info Please
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Sticky Topic-Using Photobucket to post pictures

See our Future Meetings page for information on upcoming Shay Owners Club International events!

For Membership in the Shay Owners Club International join online today or mail in a Membership Application!
* *Central States Shay Meet Sept 11-14/2014 in Clinton, Iowa. For specifics check the Forum or contact Rob Arntzen at ArntzenRob@aol.com * * !!!Mid-Atlantic Regional SOCI Event September 11-14, 2014 held in Culpeper, VA 22701- For information contact Morgan Harris smharris1@aol.com or 804-737-9033!!!
Model A Spinning Out