** All information exchanged on this discussion forum is assumed at the readers own risk. S.O.C.I., its officers, directors, webmasters and members do not endorse its contents and are not liable in any manner for the accuracy, reliability and safety of this information. The administrators of this site reserve the right to remove any postings at their discrection.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Shay 55 T-Bird For Sale On Ebay

January 20 2009 at 7:47 AM
Reggie Foote  (Login rjlfoote)
from IP address 71.203.14.255

O.K. all you folks that have posted that you are looking for a Shay 55 T-Bird, especially a RED one, now's your chance to buy one....Check out ebay auction# 260349680572

[linked image]

Reggie

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Don Smith
(no login)

Not sure if it is a Shay

January 20 2009, 9:08 AM 

At first look the dash is not standard Shay/Camelot. I am going to examine the pics closer later this afternoon.

Don Smith
Administrator, SOCI

Respond to this message   
Reggie Foote
(Login rjlfoote)

Shay T-Bird On Ebay

January 20 2009, 9:25 AM 

Hi Don,

One thing for sure, the steering wheel and column is the Fairmont set-up like our roadsters with the horn on the left-side stalk.

I enlarged the photos but am unable to find any Shay identification other than what the seller is providing.

Reggie

Respond to this message   
Don Smith
(no login)

Familiar Car

January 20 2009, 1:09 PM 

I have pics of this same car from last November, was for sale, I believe on eBay at that time.

These new pics show a different trunk interior than the Shay. My bird has a metal vertical center support along the back opening of the trunk extending to the floor of the truck. As well, my Shay has a gas strut support for the trunk to keep it open.

Of course, the dash is a real T-bird dash. Again, it may have been adapted to a Shay/Camelot car, but I am not totally sure of it. The engine compartment is similar to the Shay.

There is no spun aluminum insert on the door panel, but that could have been removed. I also note a button down tonneau top which was an option offered by Shay.

The hard top does not have a port hole. That was standard on the Shay/Camelot, but was not standard on the real '55. It was added to the '56 and '57 models, and some people retrofit their '55's with the port hole.

Could be a highly modified Shay/Camelot.

The description on eBay does not apply to the T-birds. Sahy had abandoned the "team build" concept for the roadsters before they began production of the T-birds.

Anyone else have any ideas on this car?

Don Smith
Administrator, SOCI forum

Respond to this message   

(no login)

shay t.bird

January 20 2009, 8:14 PM 

i have two shay t. bird with this same dash- if any of you
own a t.bird with another dash please post a picture-
because both of mine is the same as this dash-ron

Respond to this message   

(no login)

t.bird

January 20 2009, 8:23 PM 

also neither shay t. bird i have came with port holes
on the tops

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: t.bird

January 20 2009, 8:52 PM 

I'm pretty sure it's a Shay, there are some modifications but too many details are correct. The dash looks like a Shay with a real T-Bird speedometer and a cap of some sort. Many Shays didn't have portholes, check the owners pictures. The biggest difference I see from the one I had is the molded air intake, but that might have changed during "production"

Respond to this message   
Don Smith
(no login)

Lots of variations?

January 21 2009, 7:09 AM 

Ron,

The four Shay/Camelot T-birds that I have personally looked at all had the dash shown below. Ron Clement and I both have this type of dash, and it is shown in the Shay brochure. But, there is also a picture of the the T-bird style speedo in the brochure, which was offered as an option. There is no indication that a T-bird dash was an option.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Looks like options and differences are true here as well as the Model A.

Don Smith

Respond to this message   
Ron Clement
(no login)

Another Difference

January 21 2009, 8:39 AM 

Don,

The two dash pictuers show the rear view mirror mounted low on the windshield. Mine is mounted at the top of the windshield.

Ron Clement

Respond to this message   
Don Smith
(no login)

Same car

January 21 2009, 9:46 PM 

I believe this is the same car, two different pics, one taken off of ebay last November and the second taken in 2007 off of a car sales site. You can see well the modification of the dash, with it having a top overlay (note the color change in the material and the edging that doesn't quite fit right). There are no air/heat vents at the ends of the dash trim as on the Shay/Camelot. Instead there is one vent at right center, and round vents on the top of the dash, near the windshield.

It is possible this is a Shay, where the dash was modified or damaged and the attempt to fix the dash with either a real T-bird dash or a plastic/fiberglass copy as an overlay.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Don Smith

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: Same car

January 21 2009, 10:47 PM 

That's what I think too. I sent a picture of my dash with a '55 speedometer to Gary in the hope he will post it.

Respond to this message   

(Login handymanwood)

Bob's Bird.

January 22 2009, 8:39 AM 

Here is Bob's Shay Thunderbird that he had.Gary

[linked image]

Gary M Wood
Webmaster
Shay Model A Website
www.geocities.com/shaymodela/
SOCI Membership Chairman

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Shay 55 T-Bird For Sale On Ebay
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sticky Topic-Using Photobucket to post pictures

See our Future Meetings page for information on upcoming Shay Owners Club International events!

For Membership in the Shay Owners Club International join online today or mail in a Membership Application!
* *Central States Shay Meet Sept 11-14/2014 in Clinton, Iowa. For specifics check the Forum or contact Rob Arntzen at ArntzenRob@aol.com * * !!!Mid-Atlantic Regional SOCI Event September 11-14, 2014 held in Culpeper, VA 22701- For information contact Morgan Harris smharris1@aol.com or 804-737-9033!!!
Model A Spinning Out