** All information exchanged on this discussion forum is assumed at the readers own risk. S.O.C.I., its officers, directors, webmasters and members do not endorse its contents and are not liable in any manner for the accuracy, reliability and safety of this information. The administrators of this site reserve the right to remove any postings at their discrection.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rumble seat adjustment

January 21 2009 at 12:50 PM
Dale Jones  (Login Dalefhpr)
from IP address 72.185.34.254

My rumble seat "lid" is out of adjustment. Apparently the prior owner attempted to correct it. I found different bolts and washer configuration on each hinge. What is the correct hardware to use and have it open and close properly?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Reggie Foote
(Login rjlfoote)

Rumble seat Adjustment

January 21 2009, 1:34 PM 

Dale,

As most of the parts are fixed, there is a wee bit of leeway and slop in the rumble seat door to bracket hardware so you can loosen up either the bolt or the nut or both, move the door in a different position and then re tighten....I added some washers and lock washers to keep the bolt and nut tight and take up some of the looseness.

Attached are two photos, one each side showing the door, bolt, nut, bracket, washer and lock washer....A simple set-up, but without disassembling to see if there are any actual part numbers, which I doubt, you can see what a "normal" set-up is just with an added lock washer....any hardware store of a Home depot, Lowe's will have what you need.

Also, the brackets that attach to the body can be loosened some and moved to get some movement and then re tightened.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Reggie

Respond to this message   
JJ
(no login)

Re: Rumble seat Adjustment

January 22 2009, 7:53 PM 

Dale,

I had the same problem but worse. I took some .32 stainless and made a square plate about 5" X 5" for the front and back of the attach wall and then drilled new holes. It was hard to get an exact fit trying to drill the holes,but if you are skinny you won't have a problem. I can send you some photos if you want to see the fix. JJ@myelitejet.com

Respond to this message   
ken
(Login kenboire7)

Rumble seat hardware

April 13 2014, 10:50 AM 

My rumble seat does not fit. The hardware is mismatched and not original. Can anybody send me a pic of what is supposed to work?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sticky Topic-Using Photobucket to post pictures

See our Future Meetings page for information on upcoming Shay Owners Club International events!

For Membership in the Shay Owners Club International join online today or mail in a Membership Application!
* *Central States Shay Meet Sept 11-14/2014 in Clinton, Iowa. For specifics check the Forum or contact Rob Arntzen at ArntzenRob@aol.com * * !!!Mid-Atlantic Regional SOCI Event September 11-14, 2014 held in Culpeper, VA 22701- For information contact Morgan Harris smharris1@aol.com or 804-737-9033!!!
Model A Spinning Out