** All information exchanged on this discussion forum is assumed at the readers own risk. S.O.C.I., its officers, directors, webmasters and members do not endorse its contents and are not liable in any manner for the accuracy, reliability and safety of this information. The administrators of this site reserve the right to remove any postings at their discrection.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

side curtains

October 17 2011 at 10:33 AM
  (no login)
from IP address 107.60.131.10

We recently bought a shay model a replica but there are no side curtains. Does anyone know where we could get replacement ones?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Reggie Foote
(Login rjlfoote)

Shay Side Curtains

October 17 2011, 4:14 PM 

Respond to this message   
Reggie Foote
(Login rjlfoote)

Side Curtain Rods

October 18 2011, 11:03 AM 

For anyone contemplating a set of side curtains, please note that the METAL RODS that most vendors, including Mac's, Snyder's and others sell for Ford Model A's do not directly fit the Shay/Camelot Reproductions.

One would most like have to have them made. Attached here is a drawing I made with information previously provided by Gary Wood, Ron Handy and other owners.

[linked image]

Reggie

Respond to this message   

(Login handymanwood)

Picture.

October 18 2011, 11:21 AM 

Your picture is a 1,000 times better then my Reggie...... happy.gif

Gary M Wood
Webmaster
Shay Model A Website
http://www.shayhistory.com/
SOCI Membership Chairman

Respond to this message   

(Login Shayman1939)

Re: Side Curtain Rods

October 18 2011, 1:00 PM 

Hi Reggie,
Nice job on the drawing.

NY - RON

Respond to this message   
Reggie Foote
(Login rjlfoote)

Side Curtain Rods

October 18 2011, 2:40 PM 

Gary, Ron,

My feeble brain tells me that it was both of you fellows who povided drawings in the past for the FORUM...I spent a whole 15 minutes doing it again for my files.

I did talk to Dave Trank today at Mac's and he verified that Mac's only sells real Model A Ford SIDE CURTAIN RODS but that the SIDE CURTAINS themselves, as well as TOPS, were copied/patterned directly from a set from a Shay.

Because of fellows like yourself that have been, over time, so active in the FORUM and the SOCI site, there are more folks out there now familiar with the SHAY, MODERN A & CAMELOT cars and trucks(and THUNDERBIRD) Reproductions with more visibility and exposure of the brand of vehicles on Internet sites like EBAY, CRAIGSLIST, let alone www.SHAYHISTORY.COM.

I still get Shay owners coming up to me at car shows that are not familiar or knowledgeable that there is an active dedicated site for owners and those contemplating ownership.

Thanks guys for your support.

Reggie.

Respond to this message   
SHARYN
(no login)

Re: Side Curtain Rods

October 27 2011, 5:49 PM 

They DO work......with some minor modification...a little bending and some grinding.
Thank You

Respond to this message   

(no login)

side curtains

October 19 2011, 12:56 AM 

Further indication of how many different items were used in these cars. Lance Burton & I both have Camalot 2dr phaetons. In fact I think our serial numbers are only a few apart. Lance's side curtin rods will not fit my Camelot, but "real" '28-'29 Model A's do. Go figure!!
Frank

Respond to this message   

(Login handymanwood)

Rule # 2

October 19 2011, 9:48 AM 

Rule #2: No two Shays or Camelots are alike!........... sad.gif

Gary M Wood
Webmaster
Shay Model A Website
http://www.shayhistory.com/
SOCI Membership Chairman

Respond to this message   

(no login)

No two Shays or Curtain Rods are alike

October 19 2011, 11:21 AM 

Along with No Two Shays are a like; No two curtain rods are a like. Dont forget to grind the other side for the other door. The flat is to the outside on both doors. This might save you from making three Curtain Rods.
Dave Rumohr

Respond to this message   
Reggie Foote
(Login rjlfoote)

Side Curtain Rods

October 20 2011, 9:53 AM 

Dave, My Man,

You are correct in that the two door SIDE CURTAIN RODS are different and not identical.....Looks like it's time to modify the drawing to show the two lower rod bevels.

I've never had my side curtains on (thanks Florida) so I never fitted them!!

Thanks for pointing it out.

Reggie

Respond to this message   
Reggie Foote
(Login rjlfoote)

Side Curtain Rods

October 20 2011, 6:06 PM 

I decided to check out my set of SIDE CURTAIN RODS (found severely bent) which I've never inserted and then took a couple photos for archiving here in the FORUM.

The RED ROD fits in the DRIVERS SIDE DOOR.

[linked image]

The BLACK ROD fits in the PASSENGER SIDE DOOR.

[linked image]

The closeup shows the different grinds/flats.

[linked image]

Reggie

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: side curtains

October 20 2011, 6:52 PM 

I have one of the 1980 Roadster Pick-ups and it did not come with side curtains. I borrowed a set for a roadster from a friend and made myself a set. Was a rather simple process. I am having the top recovered and a set of side curtains fabricated as we speak. Not a tough task....

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - side curtains
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Sticky Topic-Using Photobucket to post pictures

See our Future Meetings page for information on upcoming Shay Owners Club International events!

For Membership in the Shay Owners Club International join online today or mail in a Membership Application!
* *Central States Shay Meet Sept 11-14/2014 in Clinton, Iowa. For specifics check the Forum or contact Rob Arntzen at ArntzenRob@aol.com * * !!!Mid-Atlantic Regional SOCI Event September 11-14, 2014 held in Culpeper, VA 22701- For information contact Morgan Harris smharris1@aol.com or 804-737-9033!!!
Model A Spinning Out