** All information exchanged on this discussion forum is assumed at the readers own risk. S.O.C.I., its officers, directors, webmasters and members do not endorse its contents and are not liable in any manner for the accuracy, reliability and safety of this information. The administrators of this site reserve the right to remove any postings at their discrection.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

number of Shay T birds produced

January 22 2012 at 4:57 PM
  (Login oldfordlover)
from IP address 75.185.97.241

I've seen the number of 200 T birds made by Shay,but looking at the sequential
vin numbers,this seems inaccurate. The highest vin number recorded on here is 137...In research of other cars for sale Ive seen car 144. To me it looks like less than 150..

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login handymanwood)

Vin#

January 22 2012, 9:18 PM 

Lot of luck with that answer. Check the Vin# page on the Website page and it will realy get your blood pressure up..... happy.gif

Gary M Wood
Webmaster
Shay Model A Website
http://www.shayhistory.com/
SOCI Membership Chairman
shaymodela@shayhistory.com

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login Bwatson)
Forum Owner

Shay numbering

January 22 2012, 9:31 PM 

There is no "Rhyme Nor Reason" to the way Shay numbered their cars. I know of several "A"'s that have the date manufactured on their sticker that has a VIN with a number sequentially less than a car produced earlier.

My 1981 T-bird VIN ends with 00091 and my 1982 T-bird ends with 2636. So that would indicate that over 2000 were made, but NOT SO. The bankruptcy papers indicated approximately 200 were produced.

Don Smith
Administrator, SOCI forum

Respond to this message   

(Login oldfordlover)

Re: Shay numbering

January 22 2012, 9:37 PM 

I wonder if there is any members here that actually worked at Shay at the time of their closing? An I witness account would be great..200 is too neat of a number,hard to believe they ended on an even 200...

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Thunderbirds

January 23 2012, 5:52 AM 

I met a man at the Daytona Turkey Run two years ago that made the molds for the Thunderbirds, they were made at a boat building company I think in Miss. and he had to go to the shay plant and show them how to shoot chop fiberglass. He said that is why they were so rought and different sizes and thickness, and fit was poor. He also had trouble getting his money from Mr.Shay.

Respond to this message   

(Login handymanwood)

Plants.

January 23 2012, 8:00 AM 

There was 5 to 7 plants around that made bodies for Shay.

Gary M Wood
Webmaster
Shay Model A Website
http://www.shayhistory.com/
SOCI Membership Chairman
shaymodela@shayhistory.com

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - number of Shay T birds produced
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Sticky Topic-Using Photobucket to post pictures

See our Future Meetings page for information on upcoming Shay Owners Club International events!

For Membership in the Shay Owners Club International join online today or mail in a Membership Application!
* *Central States Shay Meet Sept 11-14/2014 in Clinton, Iowa. For specifics check the Forum or contact Rob Arntzen at ArntzenRob@aol.com * * !!!Mid-Atlantic Regional SOCI Event September 11-14, 2014 held in Culpeper, VA 22701- For information contact Morgan Harris smharris1@aol.com or 804-737-9033!!!
Model A Spinning Out