Return to Index  

Actually....A note about "reverse culture-shock"

April 16 2017 at 10:31 AM
No score for this post
Ruthie  (Login Lavlatte712)
from IP address 64.251.157.170

Response to These are great ideas! :) ...

It is actually a phenomena called 'Re-Entry.' Missionaries, ex-pats, military, international business persons, etc... go through this all of the time. It really is an understudied, not understood reality of returning to one's "normal" life. When I was living in Colorado, I had a referral to do couple's counseling with a missionary couple returning from the field. Massive struggle with transition back to the states and huge marital impact. I ended up referring them to a private practice counselor in Denver who ONLY sees re-entry clients! That was his specialty - re-entry issues!

My sister returned to the states after living in China for 2 yrs. We took her shopping in Walmart like 2 days after she got back...HUGE MISTAKE! Major meltdown, crying tirade in the grocery section because of all of the overwhelming food choices. We literally had to walk her out of the store and just drive back to the house. It took months for her to really transition back.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Personal Web PagesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Live Traffic Stats