Respond to this messageReturn to Main Page
Original Message
  • Seeing the World through Textile Glasses
    • Ramblinman (no login)
      Posted Mar 17, 2007 8:30 AM

Laura,

Thanks for your perceptive comments. Of course the body God gave us is not inherently lewd!

This fellow took a few isolated scripture verses out of context to twist them into a general condemnation of nudity.
      What causes people to be so inclined to leap to these conclusions? These attitudes were not formed in a vacuum.

American Christian culture has a legacy of prudishness that goes all the way back to subtle Gnostic influence upon the medieval church. This took the form of a distrust of the physical world, including the physical body we inhabit.
      Of course the frequent nudity found in Renaissance religious art is strong evidence of a renewed affirmation of the goodness of the nude human body.

Regrettably the English Puritans and the Anabaptists of the Continent adopted prudishness and asceticism from a faction of Roman Catholicism.

And at the risk of repeating the American history we all learned as children, I think we all have heard that these zealous, but very imperfect people brought these doctrines to America. I am not a Puritan basher. I cherish some aspects of their legacy, but I refuse to rubber-stamp my approval on all they brought to the New World.
      Perhaps through ignorance or isolation, many Christians in America think that body prudishness is the norm, rather than an American abberation.

It is not hard to understand that this Mr. "Modesty Rocks" would latch onto every isolated Bible verse that superficially helps him state his case and believe that he has all of the Bible and church history behind him.

I would be surprised he would listen to reason and church history, he's so busy promoting his agenda of shame.

"Modesty Rocks" could also be reacting to the very real problem of provocative clothing and sexual immorality.
      There are two approaches to temptation over nudity (or many other things):
      1. Avoid it (sometimes a reasonable approach)
      2. Face it head on and retrain your mind to accept nudity as not inherently sexual, but as the normal human condtion.

There remains the concern that our own nudity (especially if we are female) would imflame impure desire among those who are not accustomed to nudity. I am not quite sure the best way that society at large can make the transformation to a more platonic view of nudity, but social nudity seems to have achieved some measure of success with this.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Find more forums on NaturismCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
    "Live Nude and Prosper"