<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Main Page  

I need som help

June 19 2006 at 8:33 AM
No score for this post
jim bob  (no login)

hi this is my first post I am wonderinng about what your views are on the verse
Leviticus 20:17
And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he hath uncovered his sister's nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity.

verse taken from the king james version
thanks

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
dayhiker
(no login)

Lev .. passage

No score for this post
June 19 2006, 9:10 AM 

Hi,
You might want to reqd the same passages in the NIV.
I think that version will clear up a question or two for you.
If not then rephrase your question with the new knowledge.

dayhiker

Jonathan
(no login)

I hope this helps...

No score for this post
June 19 2006, 11:11 AM 

Good question. I am glad you asked.

There are a couple of Hebrew words for nakedness. Arom/Erom mean non-sexual nudity. The word Ervah means shameful sexuality. When Lev. talks about uncovering the nakedness of your relatives, mother, father, daughter, etc. etc, it's mean having sexual relationships with those that are related. In other words incest. Sadly their is only one word for nudity in English, so it's hard to seperate innocent nudity from sexual immorality.

Here is a great link in adobe acrobat format.
http://www.ldssdc.info/_VARIOUS-AUTHORS/JudeoNaturism.pdf

Kevin
(Login boydallen)
Owner

Help

No score for this post
June 19 2006, 7:18 PM 

Hey Jim Bob,

Thanks for coming to see us.

A couple other people have already responded, but I'll go ahead and put my two cents worth in.

As mentioned, the phrase "uncover the nakedness of" in the verse you mentioned, and likewise all the other similar OT verses, means to have a sexual relationship- specifically a forced sexual relationship- not just to simply see the other person naked.

In the communal living arrangements that the Israelites had at the time, it would have been virtually impossible to not see other members of your family naked at some point. These verses are not prohibiting that. In fact I have never been able to find any verse that prohibits the non-sexual type of nakedness that Christian nudists promote. Any scripture that shows nakedness to be sinful or immoral, it is some other activity or thought process that is the problem, not the nakedness in and of itself.

Anyway, the verses that you brought up are actually a prohibition on incestuous relationships, not just a prohibition on nakedness. Some more modern translations have actually corrected the wording in Leviticus to reflect this, although they've still seemed to miss the same phrase in Genesis, during the Noah/Ham "incident". Contrary to popular belief, that was also an instance of incest, not just Ham seeing his father passed out drunk.

I hope we've been able to help. Let us know. If you wouldn't be against it, we'd also like to know how these verses came to your attention, or why they're opening up questions for you.

Are you wondering about whether or not being naked is acceptable in a given situation, or is it just simple curiosity, or...? If you have a specific concern, we might be able to help you better if we knew more. You don't have to go into details, or get personnal, but more always helps.

Hang out with us for a while- see what we're about. We're really a nice bunch of people. We don't bite- really. We're simple a group of Bible-believing Christians who believe that God meant it when He looked at His greatest creation- man, still naked and unashamed- and called him "very good".

God Bless
Kevin

bornnude
(Login bornnude)

Yet another suggestion...

No score for this post
June 19 2006, 9:27 PM 

As Kevin mentioned, a lot of people have responded well....

One suggestion I would have is to find a Strong's Concordance. It syncs up with the King James and defines the words.

In lieu of that, you may want to check out a program called e-sword (from http://www.e-sword.net/). Why you ask? Because it comes for free with the King James and Strongs. Other versions can be downloaded for free or purchased, depending on what you are looking for.

As you start checking out what has been said in the other replies to you using these tools, you can determine what is truth and what is not truth for yourself!

If you don't have the cash, the computer or the availability to Strongs, you might also check out Bible Gateway (http://www.biblegateway.com/) as it does have many versions of the Bible for you to compare and contrast.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Main Page  
Find more forums on NaturismCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
"Live Nude and Prosper"