<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Main Page  

The image of God

July 7 2006 at 6:41 AM
No score for this post

bornnude  (Login bornnude)

I was thinking about this in the shower...

What does "being created in the image of God" mean? Also, if Adam and Eve were created in the image of God, does that still apply to us thousands of years later?

I had always assumed that it talked about physical image, however, since I can't see God I guess I can't make that assumption. As I read the passage (Gen 1:26) it says "our image" implying several aspects.

Although the only "meta-physical" aspect of God that Adam and Eve shared that I can tell was sinlessness....

Got to run of to work.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mr. Typo
(no login)

Re: The image of God

No score for this post
July 7 2006, 12:38 PM 

Maybe when we are in His presence in Heaven, He will appear just like a regular human being, excuse me, a SUPERIOR human being! Maybe Adam and Eve were the closest resemblers of God there has ever been. After the fall, sin took over and started to gradually change our bodies, with the change in the atmosphere over the centuries and what not. We will only truly know when we all see Him face to face! Maybe, Greg.

Kevin
(no login)

The image of God

No score for this post
July 7 2006, 5:14 PM 

We were made in the image of God, butthat does not mean the (or maybe just the) physical.

Yes, God has a physical body in Jesus Christ, but God the Father is described as spirit, not physical, even though He is spoken of as having "hands" and "eyes", etc. This was simply a way to construe an idea, not actual fact.

Since God is spiritual, or being made in His image must also be spiritual. We have His characteristics, not necessarily His physical body, although He did call the body that He made for us "very good". I also believe it's called "holy" elsewhere in the Bible.

First Corinthians says God is Love, so in our un-fallen state I would like to think that we were created as creatures of perfect love. We also have an eternal soul, which seperated us from the rest of creation, and makes us "forever", just like our Father.

I know that many, many Christian naturists use the "created in the image of God" thing to justify being nudists- arguing that since the body is patterned after God Himself it can't be sinfull, but that really isn't what that passage means. The body IS good, yes, and is not inherently sinful, but it is not (I believe) made literally as a copy of God's physical form. Like I said- He dosn't have one.

Hope this at least gives you something to think about.

Later
God Bless
Kevin

Boyd Allen
(Login boydallen)
Owner

Re: The image of God

No score for this post
July 7 2006, 5:55 PM 

I tend to agree with this but I also want to include that fact that after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, we were "made perfect in him" so we are "back" spiritually to that natural state we had from the beginning.

In the past 10,000 years, there hasn't been any real change physically in our bodies that the historians can fully note. It's when they start to imply we are from another strange creature (cannot prove or disprove since DNA is too old) so they may try to say there were changes.

But we have not really changed much if at all. As Solomon sez, "Nothing new under the sun".

So I think spiritually we are made in his image and through Jesus Christ, we are made whole (shalome) or back into his image.

Boyd Allen
"May the Lord protect our nudity from the sight of those who will not benefit, and may he allow us to be seen by those who will."

Ron
(no login)

God's image

No score for this post
July 7 2006, 7:46 PM 

I believe we were originally created in God's image as triune beings. Having a mind, body and Spirit.

Father = Intellect, conceiving and creating
Jesus the Christ = Body, the physical manifestation of God
Holy Spirit = The Spirit within us and our connection to God.

With the fall we were seperated from God and the Spirit went out of us. We became incomplete and lost our direct connection to God.

Through Christ we can recieve the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and that connection can be restored. We can experience the completeness that God intended.

Many people, naturist and not tell me they think best in the shower. Is that because of the privacy or the lack of textile restriction.

jochanaan
(no login)

I wonder...

No score for this post
July 7 2006, 8:09 PM 

We speak of body, mind, and spirit as if they were three separate things. But we know now that many physical illnesses originate in the mind or the soul, not in the body; and that bodily imbalances result in, or from, mental and emotional trauma. Just as God is Three in One, so we are a strange and beautiful hybrid of body and spirit, or matter and energy if you will.

So perhaps, just possibly, the Image of God is also physical, in a way...?

Boyd Allen
(Login boydallen)
Owner

That fine line

No score for this post
July 8 2006, 5:07 AM 

It is said that the line between sanity and insanity is a very fine line, and in this case, that line is the same between physical and spirit.

Yet we are so far apart, it is like east is from west.

Funny analogy though, since west is only a thin step "west" from east.

Our lives are a balancing act between physical and spiritual and our very thoughts are what God is most interested in, because it is where we start for every external action we commit. Even our subconcious is something we need to be careful of because we do things that we don't even realize. "It's a habit" we say, yet in reality, we can control it. That is why prayer and meditation is important and what we listen to is important.

We had a discussion earlier here about someone listening to the radio in the background and how it can affect the way we think and feel. Our bodies react to how we think. It's like the sickness sugestion where someone begans to tell the symptoms of some strange disease to watch out for. As the description is being told (coughing) the person listening begans to exhibit the symptons (starts to cough) and as the list goes on, the person exhibits those as well. Comedy writers enjoy that scenario.

But it isn't funny when you are exhibiting those effects when you have been subconciously listening to those symptoms on radio or tv in the background. Same with our spirit and bodies. We began to react physically to what we listen to at church, on music CD's, in fellowship with our spiritual family. That is why gossip is a sin. (it's a part of lying anyway and it's also a form of being a trator)

I have to work hard each day to think positive thoughts.

Megan is watching a childs show where one of the characters is lost in the dark and is saying to himself "I am not afraid". In reality, he should be saying "I am brave". "Not" is a negative word, and he hears himself say "afraid", what he does not want. What he wants is to be "brave" so that is what he should say, and leave out the negative word, "Not". We must be saying what we want, not what we do not want.

"I am a child of God", "I am healthy".

Now there is a danger of "self" stregnthening that is not of God. We are weak, and we have to admit that, but we realize we are also strong. God does not want us to stay weak.

Even though I am weak, God gives me the stregnth, therefore I am strong.

Even though I am sick physically, God heals me, therefore I am whole. You may still be sick physically, but God makes us whole spiritually.

Am I begining to sound like I'm crossing that fine line from sanity??

Boyd

Boyd Allen
"May the Lord protect our nudity from the sight of those who will not benefit, and may he allow us to be seen by those who will."

Mr. Typo
(no login)

Re: That fine line

No score for this post
July 8 2006, 5:35 PM 

What I was referring to in my post was the fact that people are born with deformities, and with certain types of diseases, given the environment our pregnant mothers were in, or of course, the things that they did (such as smoke or drink or what have you). All of the afforementioned contribute to the health of the newborn baby, and possibly that baby's children, and so on. Before the fall, who knows? Would tobacco be used to smoke with? Would poppy seeds be made into opium? Would the industry world pollute our air and lungs? That is what I was referring to in my original post. I was also saying that in Heaven, maybe God would be in human form, or at least appear that way. Of course, what really matters is the fact that we would get to finally see Him, hallelujah! Maybe, Greg.

dayhiker
(no login)

image of God

No score for this post
July 10 2006, 6:49 AM 

Hi all,
I did a study on the image of God a number of years ago.
In reading what other said the thing they seemd to do was pick out one aspect of man and made that the image of God in man, but the commentators didn't always pick the same aspect.

In thinking about this and reading the description of man and what Adam did in Gen.1-3 I figured there was 5 aspects to man's image that were in the image of God.

1. I think there is something to the physical image that has a shape similar to God's spape when his manifests himself in one place. We know God also is omnipresant.

2. Man's intellegence. Seems to me this totally sets us apart from the animals and makes us like God.

3. Man's creativity. Humor, art, music all seem to fall into this area.

4. Man's relationship ability. Love, emotional attraction, not just chemical etc.

5. Man's spirituality .. our ability to relate to God and be interested in the spirit world.

One last point, I think its because we are created in the image of God that allows God to save us after we sinned. The angels weren't created in God's image and scritpure seems to make it clear that there was no possibility for them to be saved.

I have this typed up in a longer format. If you want to email me and I'll send it too you,

Blessings
dayhiker

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Main Page  
Find more forums on NaturismCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
"Live Nude and Prosper"