<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rainbow Falls (Off Serpentine Road) r/o

February 11 2003 at 7:13 AM

ColoradoGuy  (Login stevegarufi)
+ Accepted Members +
from IP address 207.221.60.178

Here's my pictorial of Rainbow Falls...
http://www.stevegarufi.com/rainbowfalls.htm

Just curious, how many of you have actually seen Rainbow Falls off Serpentine Road? It's a really beautiful waterfall, but unfortunately, a few idiot engineers in the 1940's decided to build a huge bridge that travels directly over it. In the old days, guests at the Cliff House could take a burro ride up Manitou Avenue to visit the beauitful falls ... have things changed!

Now the area is most popular for adventurous teenagers with spray cans and other young gangsters. Call me an idealist, but I envision a beautiful park in that area with more historical signs talking about Ute Pass, some kind of well-manicured land and YES, the removal of that hideous bridge that tramples on the dignity of Rainbow Falls. (People needing to go westbound on Route 24 can take Serpentine Road.)

I ask, when is this community going to take back our local environment?

Someday...

Love, Steve

P.S. FYI - That Rainbow Falls area is actually just outside of Manitou Springs city border and is officially unincorporated El Paso county. It is owned privately, from what I hear, by a company in Denver.

Hey! That's me below!

This message has been edited by stevegarufi from IP address 207.221.37.144 on Apr 28, 2003 8:57 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

PikesPeak
(Login PikesPeakDenise)

I've seen the falls...

February 11 2003, 4:10 PM 

...and, like Steve, envision the area reclaimed for use (not including defacement) by the public. I don't know about moving the bridge, but at least have the city buy the land and make a trail and park out of the area!

PikesPeakDenise

Respond to this message   
Tim Clark
(Login FormerlyManitou)

Reclaiming Rainbow Falls

December 29 2006, 2:12 PM 

The falls is still quite the gush of water, especially during a big snow melt, or after rain.

I doubt they'll be moving the overpass. And yes, it certainly ruins what must have been a glorious spectacle at one time. I probably walked to that falls over a hundred times during my 9 years in Manitou. I liked taking the dog there, as I lived on that side of town.

I was really surprised when I read -- and I read everything about Manitou there is to read, in the local library -- that the falls used to be a BIG attraction, such that they had burro or cart rides out to see it as another poster mentioned. That, in itself is kind of funny because it isn't that far away. That was even before the tuberculosis period. (Tuberculosis is the reason there are all those funky little homes all over Manitou.) Manitou was an enclave for the wealthy, before tuberculosis hit, and people starting taking the cure, walking from spring to spring in a set sequence, sleeping on screen porches even during the winter(!).

Back to the falls. It took them years to restore the downtown springs. The town isn't exactly cash rich, but if someone endows them with an inheritance or something, it would be nice if they could de-graffiti the bridge and fix up the trail to the falls. I think they probably don't encourage visitors to that area now, because playing around the falls could be dangererous for kids, but at least it wasn't fenced off the last time I was there, (1999).

Other places that are unique I discovered in Manitou:

Vertical caves on some of the hills. And, a railroad tunnel going through a mountain on the way to Woodland Park, where they have a bunch of barrels stored, of chemicals probably. (Won't find that one in the tourist guide.)

Respond to this message   
Jeff Christlieb
(no login)

Rainbow Falls, a Historic Landmark?

February 11 2003, 10:24 PM 

Steve,
I wonder what the possiblities are for making the falls a historic landmark. If we talk to the local congressman in your area, that could be one possiblity. I invision the bridge being taken out and the area being turned into a park with our "Colorado Lottery" dollars. Making it a historic landmark would at least stop any further damage. I've also investigated purchasing the land just west of the falls right across from the "Little Ute Chief Spring," they want 2 million dollars for the 27 acres. Too much money for me to buy.

--Jeff

Respond to this message   

PikesPeak
(Login PikesPeakDenise)

Great idea, Jeff! :-)

February 12 2003, 10:26 PM 

Who's our congressman to write to, Steve? (Yes, I am aware that I am showing my political ignorance here!)

PPD

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy
(Login ColoradoGuy)
+ Accepted Members +

Congressman Joel Hefley (5th Cong. Dist.) :) n/m

February 13 2003, 7:16 AM 

love, steve

Sometimes I look like this...

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy
(Login stevegarufi)
+ Accepted Members +

Bump! BEAUITFUL SHOT OF RAINBOW FALLS...

April 13 2003, 6:26 PM 

I took it today while on the bridge...

Love, Steve

Respond to this message   
Donna Ford
(no login)

Re: Bump! BEAUITFUL SHOT OF RAINBOW FALLS...

April 28 2003, 12:39 AM 

Great picture, Steve!! I'm sure you realize that the "Falls" are in the county and not the city. That is one of the problems. HOWEVER, we (the council) have talked about talking to the county about our taking care of them and cleaning them up. I will bring this back up at a work session. I would think the county would appreciate our help.

DF

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy
(Login stevegarufi)
+ Accepted Members +

Yes, it is outside city limits...

April 28 2003, 8:48 AM 

...and that is a big part of the problem.

You have my full support in bringing it up at a work session. Clearly, that area needs to be taken care of, for it is the western gateway that tourists see when entering and leaving Manitou.

Love, Steve

Respond to this message   
Jessica
(Login jinxer950)

stonerfalls

March 3 2006, 8:13 PM 

ha! all of us that go to mshs call it stoner falls

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy :)
(Login ColoradoGuy_in_Buena_Vista)
+ Accepted Members +

Stoner Falls! Ha ha ha ha! That's funny ...

March 4 2006, 7:53 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Cities & NeighborhoodsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement