<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Best Restaurants in Manitou Springs...

February 15 2003 at 10:51 PM

ColoradoGuy (Steve Garufi)  (Login stevegarufi)
+ Accepted Members +
from IP address 207.221.56.112

Okay, which restaurant do you think is the best in Manitou Springs? It may be best to categorize Manitou's restaurants into different categories:

• Nicest place to impress a date
  • The best among the "ritzy" ones
  • Best place to "hang out"
  • Tastiest/Best food
  • Most overrated establishment
  • Most underrated establishment

Alrighty, I'm going to sleep on it and give me selections in the morning!

Love, Steve

Hey! That's me...

•     
    This message has been edited by stevegarufi from IP address 207.221.56.112 on Feb 15, 2003 10:58 PM

Respond to this message   
    AuthorReply
    toteco
    (Login toteco78)

Mmmmm food

February 16 2003, 10:52 AM 

Do you consider Amanda's Fonda to be in Manitou? I know they are down the road a ways but I do love their spinach enchiladas.

I think the best place to hang out is the Spice. The place next door has a good chicken salad sandwich. The Keg is interesting sometimes but sometimes it just strikes me as dark but their chicken berry salad is great. The Loop has a fun atmosphere. I never really went ritzy. Hm maybe I need to make a little visit to Manitou this weekend...Precious food......

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy
    (Login kisscactus)
    + Accepted Members +

My choices for best Manitou restaurants...

February 16 2003, 7:55 PM 

Okay, here are my choices. For some of these, it was really difficult to decide, so what I did last night in bed was ... I let the first restaurant that came to mind be the winner, instead of overanalyzing all the restaurants.

Nicest Place to Impress a Date

Adam's Mountain Cafe - The ambiance is delightful! The food has a gourmet-ish flare to it that's just a cut above!

The Best Among the "Ritzy" Ones

Briarhurst Inn - Oh they're so proper and formal there! The old home that you'll dine in is an experience in itself. The Cliff House Restaurant, the Craftwood Inn and the Mona Lisa are all pretty darn good too!

Best Place to Hang Out

Spice of Life Cafe - Oh you knew this was coming! What can I say? It's where all the locals hangout. Good coffee and drinks. Plenty on nice snacks. Right in the heart of downtown. This is definitely NOT Starbucks, people!

Tastiest/Best Food

Stagecoach Inn - Holy Goats Milk! Everytime I go there I am BLOWN AWAY by their food. Their buffalo is scrumptious. Everything is just wonderful there!

Most Overrated Establishment

The Organic Cafe - This place is WAY OVERPRICED! I think I paid nearly $5 for an average sized portion of soy bean ice cream. And I think it was $3 or $4 dollars for a coffee! Yeesh! Sure, if you're a hardcore vegan, this is a cool place, but uhhhhhh...

Most Underrated Establishment

Tajine Alami - I've never eaten there, but here's why it wins this category: Everyone tells me how great it is there and yet I'm too ambivalent to actually try it. Maybe I'm intimidated my Moroccan food. Maybe it's the idea of sitting on a floor with a pillow. Hmmmmmmmm... but for what it's worth, everyone I know loves in there!

There you go! What are YOUR favorite restaurants?

Love, Steve

Heh heh! I love this picture...

This message has been edited by kisscactus from IP address 207.221.48.190 on Feb 16, 2003 7:59 PM

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy
    (Login stevegarufi)
    + Accepted Members +

Addendum to my original post...

April 29 2003, 7:54 AM 

I've been back to the Organic Earth Cafe a few times since this post and no longer consider it overrated. I think it's a good restaurant ... a nice place to hang out with a very interesting non-alcoholic nightlife. Definitely a nice place to take a date as well!

-Steve

Respond to this message   

PikesPeak
    (Login PikesPeakDenise)

Really?

May 6 2003, 1:18 PM 

Joy and I pondered heading there, due to their late hours, when the Loop was closing up that one night.

PPD

Respond to this message   
    Jessica
    (Login jinxer950)

Stagecoach

March 3 2006, 8:09 PM 

I work there..its a very nice place and the workers are amazing people!

Respond to this message   
    toteco
    (no login)

Just wondering.....

February 20 2003, 7:50 PM 

are we the only people who care about all of this beautiful food?!
    No one else has an opinion?!
    Maybe a group should be gathered to go out to eat.
    Tote

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy
    (Login stevegarufi)
    + Accepted Members +

Well CLINT LEWIS and DAVE BEERS...

February 20 2003, 10:49 PM 

What are YOUR favorite Manitou restaurants?

Ahem! It's okay to talk about "lighter" stuff in here, you know!

Love, Steve

Hey! That's me below...

Respond to this message   
    Clint Lewis
    (Login u32u)
    Accepted Members

Loop, cheap, good; Craftwood Inn, expensive, fantastic.

February 20 2003, 11:08 PM 

I think Dave and I are getting a little tiresome don't you? Tough.

But since you asked, my family and I hit the Loop a lot since it's close and cheap. I'm still mad at them though for kicking out the liquor store from what's now their 'extended' section. But when I get hungry, I put that aside. Try the Asade Carne burrito (heck I can't spell it). Not on the menu, insider secret.

For that special night out, we do the Craftwood Inn - an awesome meal and ambiance - take wife material there, you won't regret it.

Wife material. That reminds me of the special female code word - IBM - said to another woman when sizing up a potential mate. Ideal Breeding Material. Who doesn't believe in evolution now!?

-C

Respond to this message   
    Joel
    (Login karrlot)

Our wedding night

May 19 2006, 1:07 AM 

On our wedding night, my wife and I went to the craftwood. It was so awsome, the manager came out and greeted us, congratulated us, and thanked us for spending our special night with them. The food was some of the best I've ever had (although it might have just been the company I was in). It was really good.

I like the Dutch Kitchen, and one that is closed now but I loved was Betty's she had the biggest hamburgers I've ever seen. You could only eat 1/2 of one.

Respond to this message   
    David Beers
    (no login)

I haven't been able to think about food...

February 21 2003, 6:40 AM 

...since Clint said mean things about me in the Politics forum.

Craftwood Inn is at the top of my fine dining list. Every meal I've had there gives me the feeling of being in the presence of GREATNESS. Their chef is a true genius. And I love the Arts & Crafts era architecture. Had one bad experience with a really inattentive waiter there and complained. The guy got fired and my wife and I got a generous gift certificate and a handwritten letter from the owner. Otherwise the service has been exceptional--no wonder! Now that I have a mortgage and am house-poor it may be a while before I get back to the Craftwood. sigh

To be honest, Adams Mountain Cafe is overrated, IMO. I like the cozy atmosphere and appreciate the fact that the chef is making an effort to do creative things with great ingredients, but the dishes I've had have always seemed to be missing something or just not quite right. I've only been twice and maybe just had bad luck.

At the other end of the dining spectrum (and I think just outside the city limits, so maybe it doesn't count) is my favorite guilty pleasure (forget the name exactly): the Vienna Hot Dog place on W. Colorado Ave. It's hard to beat their polish sausage with some kraut and a little brown mustard. And I like the people who work there--they all seem to be having a good time. My wife and I take our dogs up to the G-o-t-G overlook on Ridge Rd (the one that had a camera obscura when I was a kid) and we munch them while surveying our domain.

For a coffee hangout, Steve's right that the Spice Boys have the only game in town for me. I'm especially fond of their soups. Add coffee and a newspaper to the bagel and lox with capers and paper-thin onion slices on a Sunday morning and you have one of life's great simple pleasures. Though, I've got to get back with Doug to finish a conversation about the Spa building. He's on the wrong side of that issue Gotta love their fridge magnet collection!

By the way, for those who are looking for the best coffee beans in the Pikes Peak area, look no farther than Manitou Natural. Wayne gets his beans from a roaster in Boulder every week and they are head and shoulders above anything else I can find. Better than anything I could find in Houston or Washington, DC, in fact. My favorite is the Java Joey blend. Wayne used to be a roaster himself and says he's thinking of opening a coffee roastery in the Manitou Shops when they open (economy permitting).

Still can't get that idea out of my head of having a micro-brewery downtown! I'm going to try to get John Hickenlooper on the horn today and find out what he's thinking. (Back to town politics again...oh well, I tried)

David

Respond to this message   

marisa
    (Login DancingFool)

WOW, hope I never have to wait on you...

February 26 2003, 1:45 PM 

I know you say unattentive waiter, and you could be right, but for the guy to get fired over it, that is harsh! You just interfered with that guy's way of life over him not meeting your expectations for dinner? Hope you're proud of yourself.

It really gets to me when people treat waiters like they are below everyone else. That is just plain rude. I thought people in Manitou were laid back and friendly...sounding proud for getting someone fired, doesn't sound very laid back and friendly to me.

VOTE MARISA FOR HAIR CONSULTANT 2003!!!

Respond to this message   
    David Beers
    (no login)

I *AM* a waiter

February 26 2003, 2:58 PM 

Well, at least I have been a waiter for longer than any other position I have held in my life, considering I paid my way through three degree programs working as one. So no one appreciates the problems of being a waiter more than me.

I also know from experience when a waiter writes a table off as a "lost cause" so he can concentrate on the ones he thinks will give him a tip. We waited for 40 minutes on a slow Monday night to even be acknowledged by our waiter and another 10 before our order was taken. Then we didn't see him again until he delivered the check. Meanwhile he gave great service to the party right next to us--literally 4 feet away. Forgivable at Denny's but when it's a $100 meal that most people can do maybe once a year it's not forgivable.

We didn't ask for him to be fired, but the management was grateful to get our feedback and said they had had other problems with this employee. If there is anyone I have more sympathy for than waiters, it's restaurant managers. No one works harder with less appreciation (and less pay) than management in a good restaurant.

So, yeah, I feel ok about the whole thing. And I stand by my praise of the Craftwood as the best fine dining establishment in Manitou.

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy
    (Login stevegarufi)
    + Accepted Members +

(Marisa and Dave Beers are going at it!) r/o

February 26 2003, 9:27 PM 

On a lighter note...

Hair Consultant candidate Marisa "Dancing Fool" Mosher goes after Manitou Springs citizen activist David Beers. You go, Marisa! You show the public that you've got a spine and you're willing to pick fights when needed! Looking back, when then-candidate Governor Bill Clinton stood up to Sister Souljah in 1992 over her controversial statements, it did wonders for his campaign! YOU GO, GIRL!

Hey, maybe this should go as a headline on the front page: Candidate Marisa Battles Citizen Activist! Hmmmmmmmmm!

On a serious note...

After reading Dave's explanation of what happened with this waitor, which was downright reprehensible and disrespectful to he and his wife, I trust Marisa would agree with Dave.

Hey, maybe you two will meet should Marisa win the election. Remember, she has made a campaign pledge to visit Manitou Springs if she wins the April 2003 Hair Consultant election! Click this link for details: http://www.stevegarufi.com/election2003storymarisa.htm

Love, Steve

Hey! That's me below...

Respond to this message   

marisa
    (Login DancingFool)

yes, i will visit Manitou when I win the HC election!!! n/m

February 26 2003, 9:59 PM 

hugs

Respond to this message   

marisa
    (Login DancingFool)

you were stupid enough to sit there and not get acknowledged for 40 minutes....

February 26 2003, 10:05 PM 

I doubt that! From how you have responded to these threads, I'm not surprised he wrote you off because he didn't think you would tip him well! It is you that makes the manager's position so difficult! You're right, they are underpaid and overworked! Only because some people complain and complain to them about every stinking thing!

IF and let me emphasize IF you were ignored for 40 minutes, that does not only say something about that waiter, but the entire restaurant staff...in the restaurant I work in, we team greet tables...every table gets a greet within 60 seconds...if the entire restaurant let you sit there for 40 minutes, there are major problems there!

hugs

Respond to this message   
    David Beers
    (no login)

Ouch!

February 27 2003, 7:02 AM 

Was I really so bad?

It was our first anniversary and we were just trying to enjoy each other. We didn't want to remember the night as "the time we got bad service at the Craftwood and had to go find the hostess." If anything I was trying to keep my wife entertained so she wouldn't notice we were being neglected. How would you have handled this, Marisa?

Wondering why I am answering this. I like the Craftwood--the chefs, the managers, all the other servers I have had the pleasure of waiting on me. It's a magical place.

David

Respond to this message   

marisa
    (Login DancingFool)

sorry, i just would have gotten someone's attention earlier...

February 27 2003, 7:19 AM 

that did come across a bit more harsh than I meant it to. sorry.

hugs

marisa

Respond to this message   
    Anonymous Don
    (Login NUMERO1)
    Accepted Members

Too much TV?

February 26 2003, 9:27 PM 

This sounds suspiciously like an episode of Seinfeld to me.

Respond to this message   
    apox
    (Login alail)

ummm

May 28 2003, 7:58 PM 

I'm not form there - but my sister says that the keg's salads are Greeeaaat! (read Tony the Tiger style)

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
      << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
    Find more forums on Cities & NeighborhoodsCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement