<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HOUSTON to MANITOU move

February 5 2005 at 1:24 PM
Jermaine  (Login JermaineArt)
Accepted Members
from IP address 69.151.204.49

I seem to recall someone here being a Houston transplant to Manitou. I mentioned my plans to move and they chimed in. Was it Don?
Anyways...we still want to move but are getting a little bit nervous about the move...wondering if LIVING there is as good as VISITING has always been.
We need positive pushing please. Someone please push?
Weve just always been big city people...and we want out, dont get me wrong.
Its just going to be a big shock, you know? We were talking the other night about how we regularly go see plays at all kinds of theaters in town, concerts, eat at TONS of cool restaurants (Houston is KNOWN for its food scene)...and a lot of this is going to change in Manitou.
I guess this is last second jitters.

Help us. :(

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

FloridaPete
(Login FloridaPete)
Accepted Members

You'll fit in nice.

February 5 2005, 2:17 PM 

Denver is a scant 2 hour drive when you need your big city fix. Colorado Springs is right there and it's a fairly good size itself.
Are you Jermaine the commercial artist? (Lon Chaney thread a while back)
If so, Manitou is your home. Probably as many artists there per capita as Santa Fe NM.

---------------------------------------
"It's all about a better Steve through proper hair care" - Vote FloridaPete & Littlehands 2005

-FloridaPete

This message has been edited by FloridaPete from IP address 68.214.95.162 on Feb 5, 2005 2:18 PM

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy! :)
(Login ColoradoGuy)
+ Accepted Members +

Don't listen to those fears; MAKE THE MOVE! :) r/o

February 5 2005, 2:40 PM 

You'll be so glad you made the move once you get here!

In fact, at some point, you'll probably ask yourself: "How in the world did I ever live and survive in Houston?"

I e-mailed Dave (the ex-Houston guy who now happily lives in Manitou Springs), and I hope he comes back on here to encourage you. As for me, I moved to Colorado from New Jersey in 1997, and let me tell you, it is one of the greatest decisions I've ever made in my life. Regarding the "big city" life that you mention, I highly doubt you'll have much culture shock here, and if anything, the culture shock will be for the better!

-Steve

This message has been edited by ColoradoGuy from IP address 4.228.66.163 on Feb 5, 2005 2:42 PM

Respond to this message   

David
(Login davidbeers)

Oh good Lord!

February 5 2005, 3:59 PM 

Jermaine,

There's *great* eating in Manitou--and in Colorado Springs. I know what you mean about the good food scene in Houston. I had all these favorite cafe hangouts, there was lots of good ethnic food, and things were starting to get good downtown (finally). Plus you had cool ice houses in the neighborhoods where you could hang out in the open air with a beer and maybe listen to some hot Zydeco music. But the scene here is just as good or *better* as far as I'm concerned. The reason is that when you are in Houston you have to drive in traffic to all these places and park. You have no idea how nice it is to just walk out your door any time the spirit moves you, and 3 minutes later into any one of a couple of dozen restaurants or cafes here in town.

We've got great fusion cuisine (Adams Mountain Cafe and a new one called Blue Vervain), cool coffee houses (Spice of Life, Mate Factor--which is open all night), the best gourmet pizza I've ever had (Marilyn's even beats Star Pizza in Houston), Moroccan food (Tajine Alami), the best bar food I've ever had (The Keg = great steaks and believe it or not a salad that will blow you away), and some of the best 4- and 5-star sit-down dining anywhere in the state (The Cliff House, The Craftwood Inn, the Stage Coach). We've got some really weird, cool stuff, too: how about a wine and chocolate bar with live acoustic music that's inside a mountain bike and climbing store? Sounds crazy but it's cool. And you'll never find it in Houston.

And that's just the stuff that's within 3 minutes walking distance of your door. Colorado Springs has great dining. The best Vietnamese food I've had, for instance. The poshest and coolest piano bar I've ever been in (The Golden Bee). The nicest hole-in-the wall French cafe I've ever been in (La Creperie).

Yeah, there are things you'll miss. Great Cajun food for one. You are not going to get the kind of quality music acts in the bars and music halls here that you get in Houston--although there's great stuff 20 minutes away in Colorado Springs. For me the few things I miss have been more than compensated by several things:

1. The great street life here. You should see Mardi Gras! People come from all over the state for Carnivale, which is going on right now. All summer long there are bands playing in the bandstand in Soda Springs Park. Festivals of one kind or another about every other weekend. My lord, there are some weird ones. Never a dull moment. We will celebrate ANYTHING we can think of in this town.

2. The great weather. Listen to me: no air conditioning! You just open your window in the summer and cool dry air comes wafting in to your home or car. You don't have to breathe refinery fumes all the time and there are no bugs at all. You don't even need screens on your windows here.

3. The great outdoor scene. From my front door I am 10 minutes walking distance from 4 outstanding hiking trails: The Intemann Trail, which has a branch that goes to the top of Red Mountain overlooking Manitou; the Rattlesnake Gulch trail, that goes up the pass to the little town of Cascade; Williams Canyon, which has 300 foot limestone cliffs that soar over your head; and of course the Barr Trail, which goes to the top of Pikes Peak. Again: those are just the ones I can hike on without ever getting in my car. With a few minutes drive I'm in Garden of the Gods, Waldo Canyon, Red Rocks Canyon, Green Mountain Falls... the list goes on and on. Even if you're not really into hiking and mountain biking, Manitou is still the best town to just walk around that I've been in. Just *try* taking a walk in Houston! It's miserable.

4. The great art scene. Unlike Houston where so much of the art scene is comprised of people who live somewhere else and are paid by folks with oil money to come in and entertain them, ours is mostly homegrown. Manitou is an artists colony. Yes, it's a smaller scene because we're a tiny town. But we have terrific galleries and some really world-class artists here. One gallery got an award recently for being the best place to buy art in the State. We also have great performing arts, thanks to a couple of great local performers who make a business of bringing in terrific national and international acts that perform in the old livery that is now called the BAC. Mostly it's small performing acts--not full-blown theater like you'd see at the Alley--but that's some of the most interesting stuff, in my opinion. If I want to see theater I have the Fine Arts Center in Colorado Springs that's only 20 minutes away. I saw a terrific performance of Cabaret there just this week, by the way.

I'd add a few more things, but I gotta go. Personally, I think you'd be crazy to worry about the stuff you'll leave behind in Houston for what you'll get in Manitou Springs. I've never regretted it for a single second. Not one!

Hope we see you here!

David

Respond to this message   
Jeanie
(Login jmccollom2)

ok David...I'm sold!

July 6 2009, 7:54 PM 

WOW! FREAKING WOW....i dont know what to even say. We are interested in moving there too....and I simply cannot thank you for all of your reassuring words!

No A/C?? No Bugs?? woot! woot! I'm soooo there!

thank you, thank you, thank you for listing out all of those wonderful reasons for moving!

I'm coming from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma....it has some great things (cannot name any now, because i cannot get your words out of my head...but I'm sure there is something great about OK...hehehe) that I'm sure willing to part with in order to move up there.

-jeanie

Respond to this message   
Laura
(Login iomedium)

I moved to Manitou from Houston

February 7 2005, 9:13 AM 

Heya.. I moved here from Houston in summer of 2003. My little sister did the same in spring of 2004. We love it, but the food is no comparison. Houston food is the best I have ever had in the world... and Colorado Springs/Manitou is the worst. But, you are BOUND to lose weight and get in better shape living here. So, I think the trade off is well worth it. Dang tho.. I really would love some Chueys and some Good Co BBQ and some Mai's. You bringing a cooler?

- Laura

Respond to this message   

Laura from Kansas
(Login mountainlvr)
Accepted Members

Hey another Laura !!!!

February 9 2005, 12:31 PM 

Oh dear this is going to be confusing!!

Respond to this message   

Littlehands ;o)
(Login Littlehands)

Don't worry, Laura ...

February 10 2005, 8:04 PM 

there is only ONE Laura, from Kansas!! Love you,

"It's all about a better Steve through proper hair care" - Vote FloridaPete & Littlehands 2005!!

Love you,
Littlehands

Respond to this message   
Jermaine
(Login JermaineArt)
Accepted Members

Thanks guys...I STILL have one concern....

February 7 2005, 11:38 AM 

Thanks all of you...thats what I needed.
See...I know those things but I forget them. Thanks to all of you.
Ive lived in NYC, Seattle...and Houston (where I was born and raised)...so Manitou will be the smallest community Ive ever lived in...but thats a big reason why Im going there. We want to raise our daughter somewhere open-minded...and outdoorsy. In Houston, as stated, youll either collapase from the suffocating heat, or breathe in lots of debilitating air...its just no good. Food tho...yea...Im going to miss it. Laura mentioned GOODE CO.: was just there last week. Dave mentioned STARS PIZZA...oh man! Good stuff. But I agree, MARILYNS is good: I ate there while visiting last time. Kind of nice eating good food with eye-candy (Marilyn!) all around you.

One concern tho...
Does that VERY right-wing spirit creep into Manitou...ever? I mean...I know that FOCUS ON THE FAMILY group is centered up there. I dont know why, but I still get really uneasy when I think about the whole liberal attitude that WE have...and the ultra-conservative folks up in that area. That, along with the whole interracial thing I got going on with my wife...yea, I know its been discussed here...but it all just rolls up in to one big ball of CONSERVATISM that scares me. ANd yet...when Im there...I dont SEE it...I mean, I dont see any visible narrowing of ones rights...even in Co. Springs. But you usually dont ever SEE it these days. It flows through the cracks and crevasses...like poison gas. You smell it...but you cant see it.

So, Im worrying WAY too much about that aspect...right?

'Ruining Your Favorite Band's Image...Since 1995'
http://www.JermaineRogers.com

Respond to this message   

Littlehands
(Login Littlehands)

You are making to much of it ...

February 8 2005, 3:38 PM 

I think you will love living here, and you won't notice any problem with the politics of Manitou, other than the people are very friendly and your daughter will love the area!!

Focus On the Family, doesn't interfere in my life. They have their own agenda and that's fine with me. I am a concservative person, but I don't know the politics of most of the people that I hang around with. It's just not an issue!! Life in Colorado is a lot more than Politics, it's the area we live in and we all feel so fortunate that we are here. Just come on out and expect a friendly welcome. Love you,

"It's all about a better Steve through proper hair care" - Vote FloridaPete & Littlehands 2005!!

Love you,
Littlehands

Respond to this message   
sagiquarius
(Login sagiquarius)

Some opinions...

September 2 2006, 3:47 PM 

Hi,

Myself, my husband and 2 kids AND our best friends, their 2 kids and their mother just moved to Manitou from L.A. last year and I wanted to share some stchuff regarding my new, fantastic life:

-BEST public school system in the state (coming from a place where you can not even send your kids to public school, that is a BIG deal).
-LOW cost of living (expensive compared to the rest of CO - but coming from Houston you'll think it's cheap).
-LEFT wing... way left (my family was afraid for me, when I told them I was moving to Colorado; just remember - It's Manitou). I'm a political artist who's lived in NY, SF & LA, and I fit in fine. I live next door to the Summit minister, and I think we scare him (we are extremely into Halloween). I even made "Anti-Mission Manitou" bumper stickers that we sell at the restaurant; which brings me to..
-FOOD. Don't worry. I was worried (really worried) leaving my Trader Joes. But even Wal-Mart has all my cheeses for fondue. And we 4 Cali-Texas-NY transplants opened "Ned's" in downtown Manitou for soulfood/ latte cravings.
-I don't need no stinkin' car: If you can carve out a routine that doesn't involve a car, you can maximize the Manitou experience (only entering the Springs for the inevitable government required paperwork).

Respond to this message   
Jermaine
(Login JermaineArt)
Accepted Members

Re: Some opinions...

September 2 2006, 10:18 PM 

Very cool.
Ill be there looking for a house or apt. next week. If we find something, we're going to move on it.
Are there lots of rental properties available now? I think we're going to rent for the first year or so...just to be sure everything is cool...which I know it will be.
Cant wait to get there and start driving around looking for rental property. I need to wrap it up in a timely fashion: Ive got to get right back to work and prepare for an gallery show this winter in L.A.
It would be so nice to be painting in Manitou. I cant stress enough how Ive always loved that place...ever since I was 10...dome 25 years ago. I used to cry when it was time to go back to Houston...

jr

Respond to this message   
Tim Clark
(Login FormerlyManitou)

About the religious right in Manitou

December 29 2006, 1:31 PM 

I lived in Manitou 1990-1999, and think it is one of the most unique and beautiful towns in the U.S. I still miss aspects of it, as I run every day in the morning, and miss not being able to run on trails right up in the mountains.

As a gay, non-military person, before I moved there, I had reservations about the conservative nature of the whole Colorado Springs area, but I love mountains and the outdoors, and fell in love with the area. In 1990, Manitou Springs, relative to the greater Colorado Springs area, had a reputation of liberalism and devil worship. You can laugh about the latter. I found it a hoot the whole time I was there, and didn't see ANY of it. I met a few white witches, but that was in my whole nine years there. The Manitou Devil worship was some propaganda put forth by one of the 100+ evangelical orgs in the area, that someone's cat had been sacrificed. Instead, I tend to think that Manitou attracts more of a spiritual-type person. The convergence is said to be a vortex -- a center of spiritual power. I don't know if I felt that overly strongly, but I know the first time I walked down Manitou Ave., I thought the place had a really special feeling. The whole time I lived there, I really loved it.

The military really wasn't a problem for me -- I thought they were all really well behaved -- but I did take the evangelical orgs seriously, and found them annoying, when they started spreading propaganda against gays (that we are all out to recruit school children etc.) and I had to hear this stuff on the local news even. "Summit Ministries" is the one evangelical semi-koo-koo org that is right in Manitou. But, then as now, Manitou tends to be more liberal than Colorado Springs, so you don't have to worry about your daughter in school getting bothered by a bunch of glassy-eyed Bible belters. I grew up in an evangelical home and know how to deal with it. Most of the FOCUS followers or the New Life people, do not live in Manitou. They live closer to the mega churches.

I think the location of Manitou High is kind of a dream, and wish I went to a school like that school when I was young.

If you buy a house, make sure it is one that didn't get wrecked in a mud slide. I had a cliff-hanger type house and water would run under it in a heavy rain, but it was built on rock and didn't move an inch.

I forget the name of it, but there is a funny novel set in Manitou. The local library has it in their Manitou section, as well as local history. The novel is set in the 60's and has hippies running around in Manitou doing funny things. Manitou Springs has a fascinating and rich history. I read a few dozen books about the history of tuberculosis -- one of my arcane interests -- and Manitou had a colorful part in that. I think Manitou would be close to an ideal place to raise children. Unlike most beautiful small mountain towns, is has the advantage of being contiguous with a major city.

The railway end of the convergence tends to fill up with diesel smoke on the hour the train leaves, and if you buy a house in one of the mountain folds, you should look for one on the sunny side of the street. I'll correspond with anyone who is interested about my view on Manitou, pros and cons. I have a lot of opinions about it, especially the real estate. (I'm not a realtor!)

One thing I like much better about where I live now -- Santa Fe -- is the people here. No evangelicals at all, a more interesting cultural mix (The Indians in Manitou at the Cave Dwellings are imported from places like Oklahoma). Still, if I had kids that were attending public school, I'd choose Manitou any day over the schools here.

Tim

Respond to this message   
Jermaine
(Login JermaineArt)
Accepted Members

Okay...here it goes...

August 23 2006, 12:57 AM 

So, next month we finally make the first steps. We're coming up to Manitou for a week or so...and if we see anything reasonable to rent, we're doing it. Ready to make the jump. Hopefully we can find a nice place to rent...preferably with 3 bedrooms, as Id need a room for my workspace/studio...unless I could find an art studio in town to rent.
I cant wait to leave. Im currently finishing up 2 jobs: artwork for the band WEEN and a limited edition art print for a show by the band TOOL...then Im off to Manitou to begin 'the search;.

Im 'slightly' nervous about the whole idea of relocating. Ive moved before...several times...waaay across country even...SEVERAL times...but i was single and younger and had nothing to lose. Now Ive got a wife and a 3 year old...but i desperately want my baby to have 'quality' memories about her childhood surroundings. Houston just aint cutting it, baby. I've wanted to live in manitou since I was 10 years old. When summer vacation was over I used to hate to leave.

I just hate that all the wax museums are gone.

-jr

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy :)
(Login ColoradoGuy_in_Buena_Vista)
+ Accepted Members +

I'm sure you'll do alright, Jermaine...

August 23 2006, 1:55 PM 

Thanks for the update. Since your posting, I moved out of Manitou Springs and live in Buena Vista, about 100 miles away to the west.

I've rented in Manitou and recommend Manitou Rentals. I wrote more about them here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/83410/message/1136940909/Here's+how+I+found+all+of+my+rentals+in+Manitou+...

-Steve in Buena Vista, Colorado

Please check out my other web sites!
  • Autumn Pictures
  • Chaffee County, Colorado
  • My Crazy Video Clips
  • Green Mountain Falls, Colorado
  • Poncha Springs, Colorado
  • Teller County
  • Cactus Lovers
  • Bike Across America
  • New Jersey Web Site
  • Are you a coffee lover?
  • Telluride, Colorado
  • Mt. Princeton Web Site
  • Great Sand Dunes National Park

•  
     Respond to this message   
    Anonymous
    (Login JermaineArt)
    Accepted Members

Re: I'm sure you'll do alright, Jermaine...

August 24 2006, 4:13 PM 

Thanks Steve...

I'll definitely check with this place when Im in town...Ill walk right in the door and say you sent me.

Here's another question for you...or anyone else who live(d)(s) in Manitou...

OK, Iam an artist. I know everyone talks about an 'artists community' in Manitou. I've actually visited some of the co-ops there when Ive visited in the past.
    I love the artwork...but it's not particularly what 'I' do. I don't do a lot of nature or landscapes or Native American stuff, tho I dig it all. My stuff is a yarn more 'alternative'...for lack of a better word. My following is primarily among the 'new look' noveau pop art, low-brow communities...and I dont think many of them live in Manitou. This is very cool, actually...since a big part of this move is a big decision to get 'lost'. Ive kinda done the whole art/rock 'thing for the last decade...and still will...albeit from afar. As Don Mclean said once in a song, 'Im bowing out: I need a second chance'.
    I want to just get lost in my family and in the area Ive loved since I was 10 years old and used to visit on summer vacation. I want my daughter to grow up around that magic...and feel 4 actual seasons constantly swirling around her throughout the year. I want her to know what its like to see woodland stars on a winter night. And it all will draw me closer to my Creator. Im so ready.
    But, I do have to maintain my work...I WANT to. Fortunately, I can work from anywhere...all I need is access to the internet and a post office.
    But, it would be nice to meet and experience the art community in Manitou...so...

My question: how 'open' is the art community there?
    I mean to new 'looks'. My stuff is very organic, but very different from the stuff I saw there when I visited. Are there any artists in Maniotu doing weirder, newer things? The personality of the city always struck me as one that was open to all sorts of new ideas...but I know how some art communities can become very 'inclusive'. It's weird how that happens, but sadly it does.

What you think?

jr

Respond to this message   
    Jermaine Rogers
    (Login JermaineArt)
    Accepted Members

OOPS, the above post is ME, not 'anonymous'!

August 24 2006, 4:17 PM 

yep.

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy! :)
    (Login ColoradoGuy_in_Buena_Vista)
    + Accepted Members +

Well, I think your art will be accepted in Manitou ...

August 24 2006, 6:24 PM 

I can't really speak much about whether the Manitou art community is "snooty" or not to the point that they would reject your artwork, because I really don't know.

What I do know is this: Manitou Springs is a very down-to-earth kind of place. If your artwork is good and interesting, I'm sure you'll be fine. Being a local resident (which you soon will be) and a likable guy (which I'm sure you are) will give you some extra "legitimacy" so to speak, in the art community circles of Manitou.

And yeah, that tacky Native American art goes old after awhile.

-Steve in Buena Vista, Colorado

Please check out my other web sites!
  • Autumn Pictures
  • Chaffee County, Colorado
  • My Crazy Video Clips
  • Green Mountain Falls, Colorado
  • Poncha Springs, Colorado
  • Teller County
  • Cactus Lovers
  • Bike Across America
  • New Jersey Web Site
  • Are you a coffee lover?
  • Telluride, Colorado
  • Mt. Princeton Web Site
  • Great Sand Dunes National Park

•  
     Respond to this message   
    Scott
    (Login shalegreenjeep)

Moving to Manitou

November 2 2006, 1:46 PM 

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great write ups and info on Manitou Springs. If all goes well we will be moving from Houston around the 1st of the year. We have visited Manitou and Colorado Springs for the past two Decembers and have finally decided that is the place for us. Can't wait to leave the traffic, heat and humidity of Houston behind.

Respond to this message   
    bobby ruch
    (Login bobbyrba)

memphis transplant

March 2 2007, 9:54 PM 

memphis couple here...have visited manitou on way to see family in basalt and really liked it. high interest in moving there if you will have us.

we are attracted to the artsy feel, the gorgeous scenery, garden of the gods, all of it. truthfully, it reminded of us italy a little bit when we drove into manitou for the first time...and thats a good thing.

house is going on the market monday, soon to be manitou-ians.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
    Find more forums on Cities & NeighborhoodsCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement