<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Thinking about moving to Manitou Springs....

October 16 2005 at 7:17 PM
Avaria  (Login Avaria)
from IP address 71.208.176.19

My husband and I moved to Boulder about a year ago....
It hasn't really lived up to our expectations.

He is a alternative health cCare provider - and we have a 3 year lease on our office, so we are not going anyplace soon - unless we sell his practice.

But I am going to school to be an acupuncturist - so we have to stay here another 3 years for that anyway.

So we are starting to look around, and Manitou Springs seems like a wonderful place. I was wondering if you had any feed back about alternative medicine in Manitou? In Boulder its HUGE - but with that comes thousands of alternative healers - so the market is saturated.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Also - does the ultra-concervative feel of Colordo Springs make its way into Manitou? I'm pretty liberal - so a place like CC would never make me happy.

Thanks,
Avaria

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

ColoradoGuy! :)
(Login stevegarufi)
+ Accepted Members +

Hiya Avaria - Welcome to the web site! :) ... r/o

October 19 2005, 10:53 AM 

Okay, I'll answer your questions and make my comments as best as I can:

"My husband and I moved to Boulder about a year ago....
It hasn't really lived up to our expectations."

Interesting. I'd like to learn about your experience in Boulder. What exactly were your expectations and how has living in Boulder not met them? (I apologize if I sound like a therapist. That's my job in real life.)

"He is a alternative health cCare provider - and we have a 3 year lease on our office, so we are not going anyplace soon - unless we sell his practice.

But I am going to school to be an acupuncturist - so we have to stay here another 3 years for that anyway."

You know, my gutt would say you're going to eventually come to love Boulder. I don't mean to sound cynical, but keep visiting the sprawling and impersonal suburbs of Denver on a regular basis and I think that'll help you appreciate Boulder more. And man! You're just so close to the mountains and lots of cultural stuff and great restaurants and the college scene ... Hmmmmm! Maybe ((( I ))) should move to Boulder someday!

"So we are starting to look around, and Manitou Springs seems like a wonderful place. I was wondering if you had any feed back about alternative medicine in Manitou? In Boulder its HUGE - but with that comes thousands of alternative healers - so the market is saturated."

Occasionally, I've heard people call Manitou Springs a "mini-Boulder". It really is just a small town of 5,000 people adjacent to Colorado Springs. I doubt the alternative medicine market is as saturated as Boulder, and I would say if you're truly good at what you do, your business will flourish here!

"Also - does the ultra-concervative feel of Colordo Springs make its way into Manitou? I'm pretty liberal - so a place like CC would never make me happy.

Well, it depends. This is a tough question actually, and I'm not sure how to answer it. I don't think the "ultra conservative feel" of Colorado Springs rubs off that much in Manitou Springs, but perhaps others have a different perspective.

Avaria, I'm glad you found my forum. I run this web site and I've lived in Manitou Springs from 2001-2005. Before that, I was just over in Colorado Springs from 1997-2001. At the end of the month, I'm personally moving out to Buena Vista, but it's not because I don't like Manitou Springs anymore. It's just time to move on.

Anyway, if you have follow-up questions or comments, please feel free to post them! Myself and other regular visitors know Manitou Springs pretty well and we'd love to help you in any way we can.

-Steve

Please support my sponsors! They help cover the costs of running this web site!
  • High Rise Coffee Roasters
  • The Homestead Restaurant (Florence, CO)
  • Journey of Hope Counseling
  • Knot Works Furniture Repair & Upholstery
  • Your Ideal Travel Agency
  • Get a cool ColoradoGuy stuff! (Get a rockin' ColoradoGuy t-shirt for $14.99!)

•     
    This message has been edited by stevegarufi from IP address 4.228.84.118 on Oct 19, 2005 10:56 AM

Respond to this message   
    Avaria
    (Login Avaria)

Whats wrong with Boulder...

October 24 2005, 2:27 PM 

Hi Steve - thanks for the welcome!

Hey, are you moving to Buena Vista California? or is there a BV Colorado? I'm originally from So Cal, and I miss it sometimes - but not the traffic, the crime, and the smog.

Ok...so here is my gripe with Boulder.

Most of the people I have met are either....

Weird (and not in a good kinda weird either)
    Rich
    Snobby
    or all of the above.

There is a huge group of snotty pretentious people here - something I did not expect to find in Boulder Colorado.

I love the city - the mountains - the health food stores. But the people are just not what I expected. Also, because I rent right now - the two landlords I have rented from are not very nice. So I just don't have that good of an impression of Boulder right now.

Also - there are more alternative health care professionals that you can shake a stick at. It makes it that much harder to start a practice here. So we are just feeling the waters right now and trying to find our place. If things go well with the practice, we will stay in Boulder - if not, we will be looking for another place to call home.

Thanks for the input about Manitou!

Avaria

Respond to this message   

ColoradoGuy :)
    (Login ColoradoGuy)
    + Accepted Members +

You'd probably like Manitou then ... r/o

October 24 2005, 2:44 PM 

People in Manitou Springs are generally "a little different", but I'm not sure I would use the term "weird" except for the small handful of freaky people that hangout in the park all the time. All ni all, we're just a collection of individualistic folks that tend to go against the grain in our own unique ways. I wouldn't say we're necessarily wacky or looney; You'll just get the distinct feel like you're not necessarily in a boring, generic, suburban cookie-cutter type town.

Now some Manitou folks are indeed rich, but you'll have a hard time knowing it as they're generally not very flashy or snobby. Let me be clear about this: Manitouans are definitely not snobby! Trust me!

Lastly, I'm moving to Buena Vista, Colorado! Here's my recent pictorial just west of Buena Vista:
    http://www.stevegarufi.com/picturesofsnow.htm

-Steve

Please support my sponsors! They help cover the costs of running this web site!
  • High Rise Coffee Roasters
  • The Homestead Restaurant (Florence, CO)
  • Journey of Hope Counseling
  • Knot Works Furniture Repair & Upholstery
  • Your Ideal Travel Agency
  • ColoradoGuy.com Gifts (Get a rockin' ColoradoGuy t-shirt for $14.99!)

•  
     Respond to this message   
    Tim Clark
    (Login FormerlyManitou)

Accupuncture in Manitou

December 29 2006, 2:28 PM 

Manitou is a pretty small town, so the market might be kind of saturated there, as it is in Boulder. In 1999, there was a chiro who would do walk-in adjustments for $10, and he and his business partner, a naturopathic doctor, weren't doing too well. I think the $10 fee showed how desperate he was, as many area chiros charged $30 at least.

Perhaps it has picked up now though. I think office space is probably a lot more expensive in Manitou, than Colorado Springs, and the populace in Colorado Springs, might be loathe to travel to Manitou for treatment.

With Cave of the Winds, the Cliff Dwellings, and tram to PP al right there in Manitou -- in addition to the extreme funky charm of the town -- Manitou is very big for one thing: tourists. And the type of things tourists like to look at such as pottery, art and craft items.

I don't even remember there being a regular allopathic doctor being in town. Certainly not one with an HMO.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
    Find more forums on Cities & NeighborhoodsCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement