<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Backcheck  

Let's play Mike Milbury on draft day!!!

June 17 2003 at 9:33 PM
NYISLES  (Login Isbister)
from IP address 216.223.205.5

Let's say that Milbury keeps his 15th pick. Avail. are fowards Patrick O Sullivan, Robert Nilsson, and Anrei Kastitsyn......Defensemen Mark Stuart, Denis Ezhov and Richard Stehlik. Who do you grab? Nilsson the safe pick? O Sullivan the wild card? Or do you dare take the most talented of the bunch, and the BIGGEST risk? Or you could wimp out and take a defenseman like Stuart? Make your pick Mike. The Islanders are on the clock!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
mike22bossy
(Login mike22bossy)

As a...

June 17 2003, 9:47 PM 

habitual risk taker, MM takes Kastsitsyn. He has had better luck finding serviceable defensemen (Van Impe, Butenschon, Timander) than finding explosive offensive talent. Also, with three 2nd rounders, d-men can be had, but Kastsitsyn's talent at #15 is a rarity.

Good Karma?
NYI have had 15th overall pick twice in its history... Steve Tambellini (who's son will be drafted this year) and Mike Bossy (no explanation needed).

Respond to this message   
Wiemer28
(Login wiemer28)

My guesses

June 17 2003, 9:55 PM 

The options

A-he trades parrish, bates and a 2nd rounder for the 1st overall and takes zherdev

b-keeps our pick and takes whichever is available in either kastitsy, nilsson, or o sullivan

c-moves into the top 8 to grab phaneuf

d-turns it into mad mike day and its crazy

Respond to this message   
Draftman
(Login Draftman)

Of that group.....

June 17 2003, 9:57 PM 

Nilsson or Stuart. Ezhov will be available when the Isles pick 53rd. He is a late second rounder at best.

Who exactly are your top 14 picks? Then we can make a better answer.

Respond to this message   

(Login Tumer)

Nilsson

June 17 2003, 10:16 PM 

I'd love defense but I'm jonesing for a top-notch offensive talent. Nilsson makes me have Naslund dreams.

Respond to this message   
NYISLES
(Login Isbister)

DRAFTMAN

June 17 2003, 10:27 PM 

I do not know why naming the first 14 picks makes it easier for you, but here is MY mock draft. Based soley on team needs, and NO trades being made of course.

1-Eric Staal-Florida

2-Nathan Horton-Carolina

3-Marcd Andre Fleury-Pittsburgh

4-Milan Michalek-Columbus

5-Thomas Vanek-Buffalo

6-Nikolai Zherdev-San Jose

7-Zach Parise-Nashville

8-Braydon Coburn-Atlanta

9-Dion Phaneuf-Calgary

10-Hugh Jessiman-Montreal

11-Dustin Brown-Philadelphia

12-Ryan Suter-New York (R)

13-Anthony Stewart-Boston

Respond to this message   
RJ
(Login R.J..)

Not answering your question ... but

June 17 2003, 11:38 PM 

If Nikolai Zherdev is available at 6 ... and that is who MM wants ... why would we give Florida a package for the #1?

Why not wait until, say the 4th pick. Then make Colombus or Buffalo (who has new owners ... and they want to make the playoffs next year) an offer?

Just thinking out loud.

na na na na ... na na na na ... hey hey hey ... goodbye ...

Respond to this message   
Draftman
(Login Draftman)

It's easier .......

June 17 2003, 11:59 PM 

since I know who else is available. However, you did manage to name all of the players I would include in my top 14. Therefore making it difficult to name someone else. So I'll stick with the choices made in the post above.

I do think that Parise is a possiblity of being a player who could fall to the Isles at #15. I also like Jessiman but I believe he will go before the Islanders pick. All of the others are a lock IMO to go early in the first round with the exception of Stewart. I would not like him to be their choice. I think he's overrated.

Respond to this message   
hockey dork
(Login hockeydork)

Wouldn't be "wimping out" on Stuart

June 18 2003, 9:44 AM 

Not a "sexy" pick but by all accounts this guy is only a year away,and able to play about 10 years as a 3 or 4 dman,with a physical edge.
Now that said I think we could drop a few spots and obtain some other picks and still get him at like 18-21 range.

As for an answer to your question I said earlier I like Nilsson but the kid Kastistyn is intriguing as hell.NO Stewart that's all.

Respond to this message   

(Login izbiztuh)
Forum Owner

Let the picks begin: What teams might want on draft day

June 18 2003, 10:47 AM 

Let the picks begin: What teams might want on draft day

By Ray Slover -

Here's a capsule look at the selection order for the
first round of the 2003 Draft, to be held June 21-22,
and the expected wants and needs of each team.

Draft order is subject to change pending trades
and is for the first round only.

Pick Team comment
1. Florida Panthers GM Rick Dudley has traded the first overall pick before. The team needs a power forward and has plenty of youth, but Dudley will keep the pick and take top prospect Eric Staal.

2. Carolina Hurricanes It's the team's only reward for a miserable season. GM Jim Rutherford has taken defensemen the past two seasons, and he will again for a team that has major needs on the blue line.

3. Pittsburgh Penguins Skill, speed and a major name for the future. GM Craig Patrick will continue to build his team despite a plethora of major questions about its future -- including what will happen with Mario Lemieux.

4. Columbus
Blue Jackets We know there will be no argument between the coach and GM now that Doug MacLean has settled into the dual role. MacLean wants another Rostislav Klesla or Rick Nash to continue building his young, talented team. Expect the Jackets to pick a forward.

5. Buffalo Sabres The team might trade the pick, but it would be wise to select a forward. A bruiser with a scoring touch would be best, because the Sabres haven't been able to find one. Defense is another problem area, but getting a scorer would provide a more immediate impact.

6. San Jose Sharks Doug Wilson's first draft as GM will set a tone, but will it be any different? The team's penchant has been for defensemen. If Wilson wants to change things, he should fill the team's need for speed, particularly at center. Fast forwards will be key to rebuilding.

7. Nashville Predators This team is ripe for an upward trade, because it has never gotten the young scoring star it needs to take that next big step forward. Team selectors prefer talent from Canada's Western juniors league. If a deal can't be struck, a defenseman would be a wise choice.

8. Atlanta Thrashers This is an unusual spot for the Thrashers, who picked first or second in their first four drafts. Picking so high, it's easy to take the best available player. But the team's need for talent means it will probably peddle the pick. If not, the crying need is for a big center.

9. Calgary Flames Darryl Sutter's coaching style is well known. His ability as a GM will get its first big test. Even Sutter must see his team's greatest need is scoring, and getting a forward to help lighten Jarome Iginla's burden is a must. But in this spot, the only way is via trade.

10. Montreal Canadiens Center is a problem, because of age and caution about Saku Koivu's health. Goaltending would appear to be the only area the team should believe is secured, so a best-available pick might be in order. Given the team's scoring struggles, a player with a nose for the net would be a wise choice.

11. Philadelphia Flyers
(from Phoenix) The Flyers got this pick from the Coyotes in the 2001 Daymond Langkow deal, and it looks like an astute move. Don't expect the team to stray from its recent bent of getting skilled Europeans. They've been very successful. The team has young defensemen in the pipeline, so a forward is tempting.

12. New York Rangers GM Glen Sather would love to unload a couple big contracts and move up. Trouble is, his wares do not tempt buyers. Sather leans heavily on Tom Renney come draft time, and Renney will look to Western Canada for the best available player. This team needs a forward with skill and all-around ability.

13. Los Angeles Kings If the team can shrug off its disappointing season, it will see a growing base of young talent collected in recent drafts. Don't expect the Kings to deviate from their pattern, because they are beginning to get rewards for their efforts. Well stocked with forwards, a defenseman figures to get the call.

14. Chicago Blackhawks The silver lining from a clouded season is the team's young talent. GM Mike Smith, who always has an eye on Europeans, will add to his collection of prospects by again taking the best player available. Despite Smith's preference, his team's best prospects are forwards. But given its wealth of comers, don't be surprised to see the team trade this pick.

15. New York Islanders The only certainty is GM Mike Milbury's unpredictability, which means he could do just about anything with this pick. The Isles' biggest need is for skilled players, and he might deal this pick to get someone to complement center Alexei Yashin. Or he could pluck a defenseman to replenish the stock he depleted in the past couple years.

16. Boston Bruins Goaltending is the team's biggest need, but immediate help won't come through the draft. The team should add a talented center to the mix, since it has tabbed goaltenders and defensemen in recent drafts. Its preference for defenseman has been a success, so there's good reason to see a smart move for a skilled forward to balance the talent distribution.

17. Edmonton Oilers Young is good, and the Oilers are proof. Their cache of youthful talent is as good as anyone's, and it's cheap, too. It's time for the team to add toughness to the mix, because recent drafts have filled the tank with talented (OK, soft) Europeans and collegians. Excellent skaters are a given.

18. Washington Capitals Any and all help will be appreciated, so this team will snatch the best available player with scoring touch. This is the team that will pull the trigger on a trade to move up in the first round, because it has age and salary questions and needs to stock up for the future.

19. Anaheim
Mighty Ducks The Stanley Cup playoffs are Exhibit A of GM Bryan Murray's belief that size and character are necessities. Earlier drafts stocked the team with skilled players, so Murray will follow his vision and find a tough two-way forward with this pick.

20. Minnesota Wild GM Doug Risebrough's mandate is to select quality skaters who know the game and are willing to adapt to Jacques Lemaire's system. Free-lancers need not apply, because the Wild fill the ranks with guys who have good speed and are always in the right place. One area to watch: center, where the team is getting a bit gray.

21. San Jose Sharks
(from Toronto) Having peddled Owen Nolan to get this pick, the Sharks will look for some size with this pick. There are too many minnows in the Sharks' pool, but at least those fry are talented. There should be a bruiser cruising at this pick.

22. New Jersey Devils
(from St. Louis) By exercising their right to swap picks with the Blues, the Devils move up. OK, Lou Lamoriello, who is this year's Adrian Foster? Lamoriello's 2001 pick caught everyone by surprise, and scouting chief David Conte is adept at pulling rabbits out of his hat. The only certainty is, this pick will be for long-term help.

23. Vancouver Canucks "Best available" is the motto in the Canucks' draft HQ, where the biggest need is for scoring help. The forward corps is as thin as it is talented, so the team will look to bolster its scoring depth. Size would be a good starting point.

24. Philadelphia Flyers Having plucked a quality talent with the 11th pick, the Flyers can look to the future with this choice. Skilled forwards are the group to watch, but the team will grab the best player available. A wild card? Package this pick for a goaltender.

25. Tampa Bay Lightning Unaccustomed to picking this late, the Lightning must do some adjusting. Their recent poor seasons helped raise the talent level, as last season's results show. Now is the time to put more grit in the mix. That might mean a move away from European skill types and into the North American grinder. Expect the team to snag a goaltender, but not until early on the second day.

26. Los Angeles Kings
(from Colorado) The second of the team's three first-round picks comes two years after the Rob Blake trade. Forget drafting someone of Blake's considerable skill; the team will look to the future. Best guess? A goaltender, if a top player is available.

27. Los Angeles Kings
(from Detroit) For their third first-rounder, obtained in the Mathieu Schneider deal, the Kings will take the best player available. Trading down might be an option, if the team can find a taker offering young talent.

28. Dallas Stars The team is aging, its rank of top prospects is thin and management is cutting costs after last summer's high-priced talent grab. Good thing the Stars snagged a lot of talent early last year. The future is the key, and two-way forwards with scoring touch are high on the list.

29. Ottawa Senators Look for the team to add size to a center corps that is mostly Smurf-like. Jason Spezza, taken second overall in 2001, is ready now, and the team will look for a potential replacement for Radek Bonk. Trades last season also thinned the team's prospect list, so there's room for talented players.

30. St. Louis Blues
(from New Jersey) Critics say the Blues have a terrible farm system with few players in the pipeline. Want to bet the team's top four prospects will be with the Blues next season? With few No. 1 picks in the past two decades, the team is accustomed to finding talent with lower picks. The key is Jarmo Kekalainen, who will make his draft debut as director of amateur scouting. He knows how to pick 'em, and he'll be looking at two-way forwards.

Various media sources contributed to this report. Ray Slover is an associate editor for The Sporting News. Email him at rslover@sportingnews.com.

As you know, and we are learning, it takes a lot to build a major league sports franchise into a Dynasty as the Isles once were. The most important building block is commitment, both on and off the ice. We are committed to the Islanders and to you. This off-season, we are committed to keeping the talented youthful core of our team. We are committed to again increasing the Islander payroll by adding more veteran leadership. We are committed to hiring a coach who will motivate, teach and provide the discipline necessary to play at the consistently high level required to win in the National Hockey League. We are committed to creating a minor league system that teachers our players Islander hockey. We are committed to utilizing our top pick in the upcoming draft to select one of the amazing talents that lead this year's crop of prospects. - Charles B Wang Sanjay Kumar
April 2001

Respond to this message   
rickyz
(Login zickyr)

I don't get this

June 18 2003, 11:14 AM 

Is he saying that the Hurricanes are going to keep the #2 and pick a defensman? Who would it be, Coburn, that high? That would turn the top of the draft on its ear. I don't think Darcy would mind that at all.

Respond to this message   
NYISLES
(Login Isbister)

Top 100 from THN

June 18 2003, 1:23 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login izbiztuh)
Forum Owner

I couldn't find it at Borders

June 18 2003, 1:35 PM 

Did anyone have luck elsewhere?

As you know, and we are learning, it takes a lot to build a major league sports franchise into a Dynasty as the Isles once were. The most important building block is commitment, both on and off the ice. We are committed to the Islanders and to you. This off-season, we are committed to keeping the talented youthful core of our team. We are committed to again increasing the Islander payroll by adding more veteran leadership. We are committed to hiring a coach who will motivate, teach and provide the discipline necessary to play at the consistently high level required to win in the National Hockey League. We are committed to creating a minor league system that teachers our players Islander hockey. We are committed to utilizing our top pick in the upcoming draft to select one of the amazing talents that lead this year's crop of prospects. - Charles B Wang Sanjay Kumar
April 2001

Respond to this message   
NYISLES
(Login Isbister)

Nope!

June 18 2003, 2:02 PM 

I am having no luck either.

Respond to this message   

(Login izbiztuh)
Forum Owner

and I've bought it there before

June 18 2003, 2:30 PM 

I refuse to believe they sold out ALL their copies!

Maybe Barnes and Noble has it?

April 2001

Respond to this message   
NYISLES
(Login Isbister)

And with the 15th pick, the New York Islanders select....

June 19 2003, 7:26 PM 

Anrei Kastitsyn!!!!

That is right. He is my choice. After carefully weighing the negatives and the positives...I gotta go with the talented 18 year from Belarus!!!! Epilepsy and ALL!!!!

Respond to this message   
Wiemer28
(Login wiemer28)

Wow NYISLES

June 19 2003, 7:34 PM 

we have been agreeing a lot this week even though i havent been posting. I got my copy at a newsstand on LI of the draft preview...i have read that thing about 1000 times and ready as all hell for saturday..excited as can be

Respond to this message   
Duckman
(Login DuckmanNYI)

Hockey News Draft Preview

June 19 2003, 7:46 PM 

I got mine 2 weeks ago at 7-11 which always carries Hockey News. Given the sparse coverage from other sports periodicals, it's a must have for the draft.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Let's play Mike Milbury on draft day!!!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Backcheck  
Find more forums on New York IslandersCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement