Click here for Host attention.

Return to Index  

Re: How is John 6:38 a figure of speech?

May 20 2016 at 5:24 PM
INCquisitor  (Login fccc354)

Response to How is John 6:38 a figure of speech?

John 6:38 does not speak o Christ as preexisting in heaven.

The Bible says there is only one God (Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Cor. 8:6). The Bible also says that Jesus is a MAN (John 8:40; Acts 17:31; 1 Tim. 2:5).

Therefore, there is no way that Jesus preexisted as God IN ADDITION to the God who SENT him and whose WILL Jesus was sent to do (John 6:38).

Therefore, the idea that John 6:38 speaks of Christ as preexisting in heaven is a TWISTED interpretation of what Jesus said as "coming down from heaven" which, to me, is simply a figure of speech to describe his "coming from God" or being "SENT by God" (John 17:3).

ME:

There is only one God. Jesus is a man. No problem there.

Now, you said "Therefore, the idea that John 6:38 speaks of Christ as preexisting in heaven is a TWISTED interpretation of what Jesus said as "coming down from heaven" which, to me, is simply a figure of speech to describe his "coming from God" or being "SENT by God" (John 17:3)."

The verse says "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me."

Where is the figure of speech there? The statement is plain and simple. If you say that the statement "For I have come down from heaven" is a figure of speech, please explain how it is a figure of speech. You can start by telling us what type of figure of speech it is, and show us why you say it is such type. Is it a simile, metaphor, hyperbole, personification, synecdoche, or what?

INCQUISITOR:

"For I came down from heaven," is simply Jesus' another way of saying, "For I proceeded forth and came from God" (John 8:42).

I don't believe Jesus intended to say that he pre-existed in heaven as God. First of all, Jesus acknowledged that he is a MAN (John 8:40). Second of all, Jesus acknowledged that the Father is the ONLY TRUE God (John 17:3).

Therefore, if Jesus did not pre-exist as God, it would have made no sense for Jesus to have pre-existed in heaven as anyone or anything but God.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. What type of figure of speech is John 6:38, if you say it is? - Michael on May 21, 2016, 12:11 PM
    1. It is immaterial what figure of speech is John 6:38. - INCquisitor on May 22, 2016, 9:17 AM
      1. It is. For if you can't tell us, then you have no basis of saying it is a figure of speech - Michael on May 22, 2016, 10:11 AM
        1. If Jesus PHYSICALLY pre-existed in heaven, WHAT was he? - INCquisitor on May 29, 2016, 9:21 AM
          1. If he physically preexisted, maybe he preexisted as a form. But he likely preexisted spi- - Tomas on May 29, 2016, 11:41 PM
          2. Who said Jesus PHYSICALLY preexisted in heaven? - Michael on May 31, 2016, 11:47 AM

Find more forums on ChristianityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Click here for Host attention.