Click here for Host attention.

Return to Index  

About the LORD of hosts.

June 4 2016 at 7:06 PM
Tomas  (Login TomasSedlacek)

Response to Re: My answers to your new or repeated questions.

Michael:

John 6:38
38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.

"I have come down from heaven", Jesus said. Clearly, Jesus came down from heaven. He comes from heaven, and have been sent to the world.

Clearly, this passage speaks of Him as preexisting in heaven before He existed on earth.

Here are some questions to think about:

1. Who was He who came down from heaven? Does He have a name? If so, what is His name in heaven?
2. What was His nature of existence in heaven? Is He invisible and immortal?
3. Who is He relative to God?

Do you believe what Jesus says in this verse?

If not, why not?

If you do, how do you answer the 3 questions above? Do you have answers?

Tomas:

My answers: Yes, I believe totally in what Jesus says in this verse, I believe everything anyone inspired says in the Bible. So if for example Sadducees claimed there is no life after death, I don't believe that, they were not inspired to say that. Or if Pharisees said Jesus committed blasphemy, I don't believe that. But I believe of course everything Jesus said, he is always infallible. And I believe everything that apostles wrote in the Bible, they were inspired. Likewise what prophets of God wrote in the Bible, they were inspired, it is all true.

So my answers to your other questions:
1. Before he came down from heaven, he was already the Word, and the Son of God. When did he become the Christ, already in preexistence, or was he anointed in Mary, I don't know. God anointed him.
Does he have a name? Now his main name is Jesus. Another name of his is Immanuel. He still has those names in heaven. He did not have those names in his preexistence in heaven. Maybe his name was Michael, that would be true if he is the Archangel. Or possibly he did not have any name. Or his preexistence name is not revealed in the Bible.
2. His nature in his preexistence in heaven was probably as a powerful spirit being. Though I can't completely eliminate the possibility of what some Oneness Pentecostals teach, that in his preexistence he was not a person, but a form. Is he invisible and immortal? Now he is. Back then, in his preexistence, if he was a powerful spirit being, he was invisible too. If he was just a form, he was perhaps visible. But he was not immortal, he died later on the cross. But now he won't die again, he is now immortal.
3. Who is He relative to God? If Oneness Pentecostals are right, he is now in a human spiritual glorified body with God formerly incarnate inside, now dwelling inside, since I believe he no longer has flesh. He is therefore God, the only person of the Godhead.
If Trinitarians or Binitarians are right, he is now the second person of the Godhead, with similarly a glorified human body, where the second person was incarnated, and now dwells, since he no longer has flesh.
If Arian churches are right, he is now a powerful spiritual person, with a spiritual body in which the spirit was incarnated and now dwells, and that spiritual person is the second most powerful person in the world, he might be God's holy Archangel.
But regardless of the theories above, he is God's holy Christ, the anointed King of kings, the Word, our Lord. That's who he is relative to God for sure. And he is faithfully and lovingly obedient to God the Father. So that is his obedient relation to God.
So as you can see, I do have answers. And where the Bible provides us with clear answers, I am dogmatic about my answers. Where the Bible provides us at most with possible hints, about what Jesus might be, I am likewise not able to be dogmatic, I can provide only guesses. I expect we will know far more after we are resurrected. Like Paul wrote, now we see through glass darkly, but when the perfect comes, we will know.

ME:

Who was He who came down from heaven?
Your answer: the Word, the Son of God.

Does He have a name? If so, what is His name in heaven?
Your answer: You don't really know.

I agree that it is the Word, the Son of God was Him who came down from heaven. And before He came down from heaven and came to earth, He is called or referred to in scriptures as the Word, the Son of God, the Christ. Certainly, scriptures does not call or refer to Him in the name Michael.

What was His nature of existence in heaven? That you can't really tell. So, you don't know.

Well, as for me, being referred to by John as the Word, that He is spirit in nature.

Is He invisible and immortal? I was referring of course to the time before He came down from heaven. And your answer is that, as to His being invisible or not, you really don't know or can't tell. And as to His being immortal, you say He was not immortal.

As for me, being a spirit, He is invisible. And that He is immortal. His dying later on the cross was not that He was not immortal, but that, because He became a mortal human.

Who is He relative to God? You said "he is God's holy Christ, the anointed King of kings, the Word, our Lord.".

As for me, in relation to God, He is the Son of God.

Tomas:

Well, of course now Christ has names. But did he have any names before he became incarnated in Mary? The Word, the Son of God, the Christ are titles, not names. So perhaps his name was Michael. He is called in the Old Testament the Prince of Israel. That can fit the Son of God, as the ruler of Israel. Michael is mentioned in the New Testament as coming at the end, right before the resurrection. That can fit the Son of God well. So even if he is God, he might be called Michael. Michael is called the archangel, meaning he rules over the angels. That role can fit the Son of God well.
Now was he visible and immortal, before coming into Mary? As far as being invisible, if he was a spirit, then yes, he was invisible. If he was a form, as some Oneness Pentecostals think, then I guess he was visible. Maybe hidden somewhere, but still potentially visible.
Was he immortal? If he was a person, a spirit, not just a form, then he surely knew he was going to die. Anyone fated to die, is mortal.
And of course I agree that one important thing he is in relation to God, is he is the Son of God. Of course that is not all he is to God. But it is certainly necessary for us to know he is God's Son, without knowing it we can't be saved. So it is vitally important information.

ME:

You said "The Word, the Son of God, the Christ are titles, not names."

Consider:

Revelation 19:13
He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

His NAME is called The Word of God.

Is that a title or a name? Or is a title considered a name or not?

Consider also:

Is "Lord of Host" (Yah-weh ṣə-ḇā-’ō-wṯ) a title or a name?

For the rest, you don't have to explain yourself repeatedly Tomas, what you don't know:

Does He have a name? If so, what is His name in heaven? You don't really know.

What was His nature of existence in heaven? That you can't really tell. So, you don't know.

Is He invisible? You don't know.

Was He immortal before He became a mortal human? You don't know.

Who is He relative to God? And I'm referring to relationship Tomas, in the same sense of the question, who is the Christian in relation to God?

Tomas:

You have good knowledge of Rev. 19:13, I forgot about that. So yes, Word is another name of Jesus. And he had that name from the time he was created.
In Yahweh of hosts, Yahweh is the Father's name.
Christ has names in heaven now, like Jesus, Word, Immanuel.
I assume he is invisible now, since he has a spiritual glorified body.
Relative to God, Christ is His only begotten son, just like we Christians have a somewhat similar relation to God, we are his adopted sons and daughters.

ME:

So, I understand that, you now believe that the Son is called the "Word" before He came down from heaven to come to earth. That's good.

Regarding "Lord of Host", is this a title or a name? You have not answered this.

Tomas:

In some translations of the OT, he is called the LORD of hosts. When all 4 letters are capitalized, it is a substitution for the holy name Yahweh, because in the New Testament Lord is substituted for Yahweh. So most translators did a similar substitution in the OT. But some translations retain the holy name Yahweh, so they call him in the verses you speak of, Yahweh of hosts. Or it can be translated Yahweh of armies. There Yahweh is the name, and of hosts is the description, who he is Yahweh of.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: About the LORD of hosts. - Michael on Jun 5, 2016, 2:09 AM
    1. About Yahweh of hosts. - Tomas on Jun 11, 2016, 6:14 PM
      1. Re: About Yahweh of hosts. - Michael on Jun 12, 2016, 7:18 AM
        1. What does that mean? - Tomas on Jun 19, 2016, 1:51 AM
          1. Re: What does that mean? - Michael on Jun 23, 2016, 3:03 AM
            1. What is Yahweh of hosts? - Tomas on Jun 25, 2016, 10:26 PM
              1. Re: What is Yahweh of hosts? - Michael on Jul 15, 2016, 1:12 PM
                1. King of kings and Lord of lords. - Tomas on Jul 16, 2016, 8:36 PM
                  1. God is the King of kings and the Lord of Lords. - Michael on Jul 18, 2016, 3:38 AM
                    1. The same is true of Christ. - Tomas on Jul 25, 2016, 12:11 AM
                      1. That's right, and that's the point. - Michael on Aug 9, 2016, 4:30 AM
                      2. That does not prove Christ is God. - Tomas on Aug 13, 2016, 9:17 PM
                      3. For you, I understand. - Michael on Aug 14, 2016, 4:02 AM
                      4. The Bible does not teach Christ is God. - Tomas on Aug 20, 2016, 9:04 PM
                      5. Re: The Bible does not teach Christ is God. - Michael on Aug 22, 2016, 8:08 AM
                      6. You think it teaches Christ is God. - Tomas on Aug 27, 2016, 10:46 PM
                      7. And you think it doesn't, or it may or may not. - Michael on Sep 4, 2016, 6:05 AM
                      8. It does not teach he is God, or is not God. - Tomas on Sep 10, 2016, 6:22 PM
                      9. Re: It does not teach he is God, or is not God. - Michael on Oct 1, 2016, 11:43 PM
                      10. Well, different Christians think they see different things in the Bible. - Tomas on Oct 2, 2016, 12:16 AM
                      11. Re: Well, different Christians think they see different things in the Bible. - Michael on Oct 20, 2016, 9:18 AM
                      12. The task was somewhat simpler for the Bereans. - Tomas on Oct 22, 2016, 9:36 PM
                      13. Simpler or more difficult, is not the matter. - Michael on Oct 22, 2016, 11:14 PM
                      14. Your solution does not lessen the differences. - Tomas on Oct 30, 2016, 9:09 PM
                      15. Re: Your solution does not lessen the differences. - Michael on Oct 31, 2016, 12:29 AM
                      16. Start off with their prejudices and biases to their belief? - Tomas on Nov 6, 2016, 1:27 AM
                      17. Re: Start off with their prejudices and biases to their belief? - Michael on Nov 6, 2016, 2:56 AM
                      18. But many verses are difficult even for Christians. - Tomas on Dec 5, 2016, 2:05 AM
                      19. Re: But many verses are difficult even for Christians. - Michael on Dec 10, 2016, 6:42 PM
                      20. The principle is Bible alone. - Tomas on Dec 19, 2016, 3:30 AM
                      21. Re: The principle is Bible alone. - Michael on Dec 19, 2016, 5:40 AM
                      22. I am not quite sure how to understand those two verses. - Tomas on Dec 24, 2016, 10:20 PM
                      23. Re: I am not quite sure how to understand those two verses. - Michael on Jan 2, 2017, 6:14 AM
                      24. Of course, I am not infallible. - Tomas on Jan 8, 2017, 1:30 AM
                      25. Re: Of course, I am not infallible. - Michael on Jan 11, 2017, 5:42 AM
                      26. I gave you the alternate theories of how to understand it. - Tomas on Jan 15, 2017, 12:25 AM
                      27. Re: I gave you the alternate theories of how to understand it. - Michael on Jan 20, 2017, 9:58 PM
                      28. God won't today give us understanding of anything. - Tomas on Jan 22, 2017, 11:25 PM
                      29. Re: God won't today give us understanding of anything. - Michael on Jan 29, 2017, 5:36 AM
                      30. God just won't give us new understanding today. - Tomas on Feb 4, 2017, 11:25 PM
                      31. Re: God just won't give us new understanding today. - Michael on Feb 6, 2017, 3:26 AM
                      32. I don't know how else to explain it, I would be repeating myself. - Tomas on Feb 12, 2017, 2:26 AM
                      33. Re: I don't know how else to explain it, I would be repeating myself. - Michael on Feb 12, 2017, 3:04 AM
                      34. I can't receive new understanding from God, none of us can. - Tomas on Mar 19, 2017, 7:24 PM
                      35. Re: I can't receive new understanding from God, none of us can. - Michael on Apr 20, 2017, 8:36 AM
                      36. Of course to God it would not be new understanding. - Tomas on Apr 30, 2017, 1:20 AM
                      37. Re: Of course to God it would not be new understanding. - Michael on May 3, 2017, 7:20 AM
                      38. So then since you have nothing more to say, then OK, we agree to disagree. - Tomas on May 13, 2017, 10:38 PM

Find more forums on ChristianityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Click here for Host attention.