Click here for Host attention.

Return to Index  

Re: The Gospel Of Christ

April 15 2017 at 1:49 AM
Michael  (Login tong2012)

Response to Re: The Gospel Of Christ

ME:

You said "How can I refute your explanation of verse 20? You merely reiterated what it says"!

Let's see if I just repeated what it says. Here, let me post it here.

"In v.20, what Jesus is talking about is clearly about the Scribes and Pharisees' righteousness, as referring to what it is they do and think and even teach to be the righteousness one needs to have in order for one to enter the Kingdom of God, and concerns the righteousness of whom He speaks to, His audience. So, even if you find what you say stands to reason, it's not what makes it to be what is said and meant in the verse.

Here is v. 20 and I'll put in CAPS the important words you should not fail to take emphasis and consider in trying to understand what it says, "For I say to you, that UNLESS YOUR righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, YOU will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven".

Jesus says "UNLESS", meaning, 'except on the condition that'. So, Jesus is telling them of a condition. What is that? That is, YOUR righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the Scribes and Pharisees. The verse says "YOUR" righteousness. So, the condition is with regards one's righteousness as compared to that of the Scribes and the Pharisees. Clearly, the righteousness of God is not in view here in verse 20. The verse says "YOU" will by no means enter the kingdom of Heaven. What Jesus says here concerns them to whom He says these things, and is with regards the matter of entering the Kingdom of God, in relation to the righteousness of the Scribes and the Pharisees. That they will enter the Kingdom of Heaven on the condition that THEIR righteousness exceeds that of the Scribes and the Pharisees, or that, they will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven if their righteousness does not exceed that of the righteousness of the Scribes and the Pharisees. That is all there is in there. There is nothing Jesus said about how they will exceed the righteousness of the Scribes and the Pharisees".

Now, if you say "How can I refute your explanation of verse 20? You merely reiterated what it says", which evidently I did not, it just shows that, what I have said there is like repeating what verse 20 says, which means that there is really nothing for you to refute as it says the same thing as what the verse says.

You asked "Is anything wrong with what I teach"?

Yes. That is what can be found in our discussion in this thread. As of this point, it's about your teaching regarding Mt.5:20, centering on your take of the law as specifically referring to Deut. 24:16 and Ezek.18:20. And so, whatever it is you teach based on this automatically is erroneous as well, for it is based on a wrong premise.

INCQUISITOR:

Earlier, you asked, "Now, Jesus speaks of "the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees" in verse Mt.5:20. What do you say Jesus is referring to by "the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees"?

To which I replied:

"Jesus did not have to tell his audience that "no one can exceed the righteousness of the Scribes and Pharisees by following the law of Moses." The Scribes and the Pharisees were fanatic about the observance of the law of Moses. Therefore, it stands to reason that no one can exceed the righteousness of the Scribes and the Pharisees by following the law of Moses, even if Jesus did not say this."

Apostle Paul wrote, "Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes" (Rom. 10:1-4).

Israel is composed of Jews and among them are the Scribes and the Pharisees. To these people, righteousness means strict compliance with tradition and the laws of Moses.

To exceed the righteousness of the Scribes and the Pharisees, one must "submit to the righteousness of God."

Unfortunately I failed to effectively make you understand what it is I was trying to impart.

The "righteousness" of the scribes and Pharisees is their strict compliance with tradition and the Laws of Moses. But apostle Paul considers this as the scribes and Pharisees "seeking their own righteousness" INSTEAD of submitting to the righteousness of God (Rom. 10:1-4).

Therefore, one must "SUBMIT to the righteousness of God" in order to EXCEED the righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees.

Do you know the "righteousness of God" to which you must submit? If you don't, then you can never EXCEED the righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees and you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 5:20).

Me:

Scriptures speaks about what righteousness the scribes and Pharisees have:

Matthew 23 [CAPS MINE]
1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying The SCRIBES and the PHARISEES sit in Moses' seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever THEY bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for THEY SAY, AND DO NOT.
4 For THEY bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but THEY themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
5 But ALL THEIR WORKS THEY DO for TO BE SEEN OF MEN: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
13 But woe unto YOU, SCRIBES and PHARISEES, HYPCRITES! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
14 Woe unto YOU, SCRIBES and PHARISEES, HYPCRITES! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
15 Woe unto YOU, SCRIBES and PHARISEES, HYPCRITES! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
16 Woe unto YOU, YE BLIND GUIDES, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!
17 YE FOOLS and BLIND: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?
23 Woe unto YOU, SCRIBES and PHARISEES, HYPCRITES! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
24 YE BLIND GUIDES, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
25 Woe unto YOU, SCRIBES and PHARISEES, HYPCRITES! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
26 THOU BLIND PHARISEE, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 Woe unto YOU, SCRIBES and PHARISEES, HYPCRITES! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

28 Even so YE also OUTWARDLY APPEAR RIGHTEOUS UNTO MEN, BUT WITHIN YE ARE FULL OF HYPOCRISY AND INIQUITY.

29 Woe unto YOU, SCRIBES and PHARISEES, HYPCRITES! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
33 YE SERPENTS, YE generation of VIPERS, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
-----------------------
INCQUISITOR:

Therefore, one must "SUBMIT to the righteousness of God" in order to EXCEED the righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees.

Do you know the "righteousness of God" to which you must submit? If you don't, then you can never EXCEED the righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees and you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 5:20).

Me:

Romans 3:21-22
21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: The Gospel Of Christ - INCquisitor on Apr 16, 2017, 4:08 PM
    1. Re: The Gospel Of Christ - Michael on Apr 17, 2017, 11:43 AM
      1. The gospel you preach does NOT reveal the "righteousness of God." - INCquisitor on Apr 18, 2017, 4:16 PM
        1. Re: The gospel you preach does NOT reveal the "righteousness of God." - Michael on Apr 18, 2017, 11:22 PM

Find more forums on ChristianityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Click here for Host attention.