Click here for Host attention.

Return to Index  

Re: "According to the Scriptures" means "In compliance with the Scriptures.."

May 26 2017 at 8:32 AM
Michael  (Login tong2012)

Response to "According to the Scriptures" means "In compliance with the Scriptures.."

Isaiah 53 is a prophecy spoken of Christ, and clearly spoke of him as to bear our iniquities, as an offering. And this goes well with the clear testimony about Jesus, as being the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

INCQUISITOR:

I don't think apostle Paul had Isaiah 53:3-7 in mind when he said "Christ died for OUR sins ACCORDING to the Scriptures." The death of Christ FOR OUR SINS did not have to be "IN COMPLIANE with" what is written in Isaiah 53:3-7.

Me:

So we differ as to what in scriptures Paul refer to. You want to think that it's not Isaiah 53:3-7. Don't you believe this prophecy spoken of Christ by Isaiah? Don't you also do not see this in that Jesus is the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. Apparently not.
---------------------------------------
While Deut. 24:16 and Ezek. 18:20 which are scriptures as well, they are laws given to Israel. They are not prophecies, nor are a shadow or type, of the death of Christ on the cross.

INCQUISITOR:

These Scriptures are more likely what apostle Paul had in mind. Christ died FOR OUR sins "according to the Scriptures" means that Christ died FOR OUR sins "IN COMPLIANCE with" the "righteousness (justice or law) of God" written in Deut. 24:16 and Ezek. 18:20. Prophecies are fulfilled - NOT complied with.

Me:

"are more likely" says what it is that you think "according to the Scriptures" means. What scriptures says of the death of Jesus Christ is in connection to him bearing our iniquities is the fulfillment of the prophecy spoken of Christ by Isaiah.
-------------------------------------
You speak of the law in Deut. 24:16 and Ezek. 18:20, being fulfilled by Christ. That is far from even being applicable to the death of Christ. These laws says that "The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.", and that "Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor shall children be put to death for their fathers, that a person shall be put to death for his own sin".

The bottom line of these laws is that a person shall be put to death for his own sin. You sinned, I sinned. According to these laws, we, individually, will be put to death, for our own sin. That our fathers shall not bear the guilt of our sins, nor they be put to death in our stead. Jesus is far from fulfilling these laws. He can't. Firstly, Jesus is not our father nor he is our son. And even if he is, these laws do not allow him to die for us.

INCQUISITOR:

Your understanding of Deut. 24:16 and Ezek. 18:20 is correct. Nobody can NORMALLY die for the sins of others - not even Jesus.
And yes, Jesus is far from fulfilling these laws NORMALLY.

However, Jesus said, "I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is finished" (Mt. 5:17-18). Therefore, Jesus fulfilled the law and indeed "Christ died FOR OUR sins according to (in compliance with) the Scriptures written in Deut. 24:16 and Ezek. 18:20.

Me:

It's not that's it's the normal way or not. As I pointed out, Deut. 24:16 and Ezek. 18:20 are far from even being applicable to the death of Christ. For as these laws says, "the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself", not upon anyone other than himself. What Jesus fulfilled with regards his dying for our sins is the prophecy spoken of Christ by Isaiah, he being the lamb of God.
--------------------------------------
Now, I understand that you make the church and Christ into an imaginary man, Christ being the head part and the church being the body part. But be that as it may, the man that they become is not wholly Christ, but is him and the church. So, this imaginary man could not be Christ, as you want it to be.

INCQUISITOR:

If Christ is the "HEAD of the church, and the church is his BODY" (Eph. 1:22-23), then Christ and the church is the "one new man" that apostle Paul was talking about in Ephesians 2:15-16. This enabled Christ to fulfill God's law or righteousness written in Deut. 24:16 and Ezek. 18:20.

This is also HOW "the righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in disciples of Christ" (Rom. 8:4). This is also HOW Christ was made sin for disciples of Christ that they might become the righteousness of God in Christ" (2 Cor. 5:21).

Apostle Paul wrote that "Christ is the head of the church; and he is the savior of the body" (Eph. 5:23). Apostle Paul also wrote that "Christ loved the church and gave himself FOR HER" (Eph. 5:25).

That's why apostle Paul wrote that Christ PURCHASED his church with his blood (Acts 20:28).

Me:

The new man you make of, even is not Christ, but is Christ and the church.
-------------------------------------
And finally, no scriptures prophesy of this nor there is a testimony in the NT about this.

INCQUISITOR:

This is the "mystery of Christ" (Eph. 3:4), "which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets" (Eph. 3:5). "that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ through the gospel.

Me:

Well.....

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: "According to the Scriptures" means "In compliance with the Scriptures.." - INCquisitor on May 26, 2017, 4:55 PM
    1. A new Christ? - Michael on May 27, 2017, 2:43 AM
      1. Re: A new Christ? - INCquisitor on May 27, 2017, 4:56 PM
        1. Re: A new Christ? - Michael on May 27, 2017, 7:37 PM
          1. Re: A new Christ? - INCquisitor on May 28, 2017, 4:22 PM
            1. Re: A new Christ? - Michael on May 30, 2017, 4:56 AM
              1. Re: A new Christ? - INCquisitor on May 31, 2017, 7:48 PM
                1. Re: A new Christ? - Michael on Jun 1, 2017, 1:21 AM
                  1. Re: A new Christ? - INCquisitor on Jun 3, 2017, 6:35 AM
                    1. Re: A new Christ? - Michael on Jun 3, 2017, 9:44 AM
                      1. Re: A new Christ? - INCquisitor on Jun 3, 2017, 8:04 PM
                      2. Re: A new Christ? - Michael on Jun 7, 2017, 7:21 AM
                      3. Re: A new Christ? - INCquisitor on Jun 11, 2017, 7:00 AM

Find more forums on ChristianityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Click here for Host attention.