<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1973 460 PI

October 11 2002 at 11:42 PM
No score for this post
  (no login)
from IP address 24.116.7.252

need info! what are the heads worth? rods and pistons? are they stronger than regular rods and pistons? what compression ratio could i expect? thanks

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Scott429)

Casting number on cylinder head castings???

No score for this post
October 11 2002, 11:50 PM 

Should be D3AE-???. If its D3VE they are not PI's Actual PI heads bring $250.00 to $450.00 and the mud runners love them.

Rods should be CJ style. Stock pi's were 8.5 to 1. In many ways the PI's were just detuned lower compression CJ's. Slightly smaller intake port cross section for street use with a full size vehicle.

Hope this helps...

SMJ

http://reincarnation-automotive.com

PullinBret
(Login PullinBret)

No, I think the heads should be D2OE's!

No score for this post
October 12 2002, 10:42 AM 

My Grandma use to have a 74 Highway Patrol car and it indeed had D2OE's. She sold it back when I was poorer than I am now.

"PULLIN FOR CHRIST" Bret

(Login Scott429)

Good to know Brett, thanks...

No score for this post
October 12 2002, 2:32 PM 

Have you ever seen the D3AE itineration of the PI's???

SMJ

http://reincarnation-automotive.com

PullinBret
(no login)

Never seen or heard of them! n/m

No score for this post
October 12 2002, 4:19 PM 

(Login rubble)

Gotta love a 460 powered patrol car.

No score for this post
October 13 2002, 1:41 AM 

I read a article in hot rod(1980 or so) where they did a 460 build up and jack roush was the builder. it was hi perf. street type car engine. Jack stated that a 73 PI motor had the good heads because those heads had the big valves and the smaller ports and it made for killer street head( I think they said that was the only year for the big valves in a PI) Do you guys feel that, that train of thought holds true today? Isn't that what edelbrock has created with their head. After all it is recommended to use a 1 7/8 header with theirs and I don't think that the 1 7/8 header will work very well with the motorsport head will it? (wish I could find that hot rod issue to reread the article, some how i lost it).

(Login rubble)

More on the subject.

No score for this post
October 13 2002, 1:49 AM 

Just picking my memory here but I think that what made the big valve with the smaller port has got something to do with velocity. I assume these statements were based on fact rather than theory, but who knows.

dacofa
(Login dacofa)

PIs

No score for this post
October 13 2002, 2:38 AM 

I remember the 70 428PI and 71 429 PIs. They were screemers. Fortuntily I had a 71 Torino Cobra 429CJ. Sure was fun playing with the cops back then. Ahhhhhhh to be fun like that again.

(no login)

re: PIs

No score for this post
October 13 2002, 11:08 AM 

The '70/71 PI engines were CJs. '72-74 PIs had their own identity with the D20E-AB heads the pullers are after for their high-velocity cross section ports. And the D20E design is what Edelbrock used in their new heads, right down to the intake valve sizes. PI valves are 2.19I and 1.66E. Old Ford performance bulletins actually recommeded the 2.19" intake over the the 2.25" CJ intake valve for non-CJ heads. But that was before Scott and others showed how the exhaust could be ported to provide a better I/E ratio and take advantage of larger valves in non-CJ ports.

Mike R.
(no login)

73 460 PI

No score for this post
October 14 2002, 8:34 AM 

My brothers and I used to own several 429 and 460 police interceptors. The 73 460 police interceptor did have alot of nice pieces. My current 460 engine started life as a 73 460 police interceptor.

Here's what a stock 73 460 PI has:

D20E-AB heads w/ guideplates & hardened pushrods
cj/scj style connecting rods
TRW forged pistons with a large valve relief. The pistons are very nice. They are unique from any other piston ford ever made. They look similar to a JE piston with a slight dish that is the same shape as the combustion chamber.

An oil cooler with an adapter identical to what a 71 429SCJ Mustang drag pack car used.

The blocks were very often 4 bolt main blocks, but you never know until you look.

The oil pan is a baffled CJ/SCJ style pan.

The intake, carb and valve covers are standard passenger car units on the 73 460 PI. If it were a 72 429 PI it would have the large port intake and aluminum valve covers.

Alvin
(no login)

Valve covers

No score for this post
October 14 2002, 10:06 PM 

Mike, your description of the '73 PI is very accurate. However, the valve covers are unique. They are stamped steel and painted blue from the factory but have the drip fingers, similar to the ones used on the CJ, welded to the inside of them. All of the rest of your details are totally correct. I own several of these motors.
Alvin

Mike R.
(no login)

Valve covers

No score for this post
October 15 2002, 8:31 AM 

That's funny you mention that Alvin. I remember that some of our metal VC's had drip rails, but I didn't realize that was unusual. Then I had noticed some of the metal VC's I've seen lately didn't have drip rails. I just never put 2 and 2 together.

(Login rubble)

I have seen those on chevy vc.

No score for this post
October 15 2002, 2:34 PM 

I was dissapointed that my ford racing covers did not have them. Ford racing must have felt they were not needed,but, I bought the chrome plated aluminium talls and paid $200 dollars for them and figured every trick in the book would be incorporated into them but I guess not. Still love the covers though. It is interesting to know that ford did use this technology sometimes. Wish I owned a 73 squad car, everything is tricked out on one of those!

Current Topic - 1973 460 PI
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement