<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

DIVE A2B BLOCK

May 28 2004 at 8:50 PM
No score for this post
  (Login srshll)
from IP address 216.147.233.63

ANYBODY KNOW THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN THE DIVE AB2 BLOCK AND THE D1VE 6510 AB2 BLOCK (YEARS, OUT OF, WHAT BLOCK IS BETTER)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
KEVIN
(no login)

SORRY D1VE BLOCK/D1VE 6510 A2B BLOCK

No score for this post
May 29 2004, 10:59 AM 

SOMEONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE BLOCKS

S. LEONARD
(no login)

Not much at all

No score for this post
May 29 2004, 11:16 AM 

The only difference in those two blocks was some sort of revision which could have been a extra bolt hole tapped or a similiar modification.
Physically inspected both blocks if both pass then use either block -
THEY ARE THE SAME but if going to a bigger bore than have them both sonic checked and then use the thicker walled one.

DaveMcLain
(no login)

Blocks

No score for this post
May 29 2004, 11:51 PM 

To my knowlege there are several variations on the 385 series blocks. The early blocks, C8-C9VE had larger round holes in the lifter valley area, they had the skinny pan rail AND the skinny main webs.

The DOVE block still had the skinny pan rail, but it's got the beefy main web which was designed to accept a factory style 4 bolt cap. Some DOVE blocks also have an A cast on the front, I think this identifies a Boss 429 style bulkhead front and rear and the front main bulkhead is quite a bit beefier where the cap bolts on. There is also a boss where another oil passage could be drilled through the block. It is NOT the same block as the boss block, but it shares those features.

There are also D1 blocks which are the same as the DOVE-A blocks.

The later and probably most common block is the D1VE in several variations, A, A2A, A2B etc. I don't know exactly what changes from one to another, they are VERY similar. All that I've seen have the wide style pan rail and the skinny main webs. They are just fine for a performance buildup and they make a very nice block for most uses. For very hard use they can be fitted with a 4 bolt cap on 2,3,4 pretty easily using the Blue Thunder caps.

The D9TE block is as far as I know, the last of the factory variations. It again is very similar to all the others esspecially the D1VE's from the '70's except that it has a slightly longer cylinder bore that sticks down farther into the crankcase. I think there are some minor detail changes to the machining of the mainwebs in the case, so there might be some interference issues with some cranks, that's why '79 up engines are externally balanced. If using one of these for a stroker build it might work out good because of the additional cylinder wall length, you'll just have to make a notch for the rod right at the bottom of the bore, just like the SVO A-460.

I don't really know if there are any differences in cylinder wall strength and overall strength between any of the production blocks. I'm pretty sure the materials are similar in all of them. I don't think anyone can say for sure that a DOVE or older block can take any more overbore than a later D1VE or D9TE block. Some are better than others, but all of the blocks are very good and very beefy.

With or without 4 bolt mains I think Ford did a great job on the design of these engines, weather by intent(very unlikely), or by thoughtful design choices(again very unlikely), or by good luck( quite likely) they are a very good engine.

(Login PullinBret)

Another wrench in the works...

No score for this post
May 30 2004, 6:59 PM 

I have 4 DOVE blocks. One has the big A cast in the front. All four have the heavier buldhead with the place where it looks like another plug goes except it's not drilled on the pass side front. I haven't been able to tell what the big A denotes. ???!

Oh yeah, I think the D9TE blocks had extra mounting holes up front for special truck mounts.

"PULLIN FOR CHRIST" Bret

DaveMcLain
(no login)

Well so much for that idea

No score for this post
May 30 2004, 8:25 PM 

The block I've got with the A on the front also says 460 in the right direction, the other DOVE-A has 460 in reverse on the front. I have not had that engine apart in a while to see if it's got the heavy front bulkhead, I'm not sure.

(Login JustStrokin)

The rev's also related to deck height....

No score for this post
June 1 2004, 6:42 AM 

There were 3 different deck heights from late 60's to around 72-73. They started at 10.300 then to 10.310 and finally 10.320....

Current Topic - DIVE A2B BLOCK
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index