<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

DNE2 (Doug Nash Enterprises) Overdrive unit. Anybody ever used one?

May 15 2005 at 11:39 PM
No score for this post
  (Login 460stang)
from IP address 24.244.74.75

I picked one up today at a swap meet. It was all there including the adapters for my C6. I am stoked.

So far I know it is .80 OD and it is the early model that had a noisy shift if you did not get it just right and a fair amount of backlash in the gear train.

I am not too worried about that, Just was tryin to figure out how stong they are. Anybody ever use one or see one in use?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login h2oking)

DNE/U.S. Gear over/underdrives

No score for this post
May 16 2005, 1:36 AM 

I have three of them...two underdrives and one dismantled overdrive. I also have one U.S. gear Dodge underdrive, and a new adapter for a chevy tranny. The DNE's were ultimately produced and bought out U.S. Gear. U.S. Gear changed the tooth pitch on the planetaries for quieter operation which makes the currently produced models incompatible with the DNE units (for the gear set only, the rest appears the same) and they will not service the DNE units. The U.S. Gear adapters will work with the DNE units but be aware that the actual units must be matched for the make of tranny it is mounting to..i.e. Ford with ford adapter, Chevy with chevy adapter....Look at the input of your unit (the part that slides over the output shaft of the tranny) and if it has no grooves circling it it is a GM 32 spline overdrive, 1 grove ford 31 spline overdrive, 2 groves GM underdrive, 3 grooves Ford underdrive, 4 groves dodge etc. I prefer these units to the GV units for two reasons....1, inherently stronger (and heavier); 2. No clutches and no free wheeling planetary that engages/disengages on its own. They do "clunk" and need a slight release of engine load to shift so not for quick shifting for time but whatever position they are in they stay there until you tell them to shift and engine braking is always there. I also prefer the underdrive models for my lightweight (Ranchero and Crown Vic) because a 2.75 posi (CV) becomes effectively a 3.25 and the 3.25 DPI (Ranchero) becomes a 3.90....both good ratios for towing 460 BBFs. The CV will get over 20 mpg on freeway and the Ranchero did get 18mpg
with 460PI and 2.75 but it is in the process of being upgraded to 533, manual shift c-6, with the 3.25 rear so don't know what it will get when it is done. If I had it to do it over again though I would go with a maxed out AOD or E40 for the simplicity. Since there is no sliding spine you must use a truck driveshaft and you must KNOW which GM400 output shaft you have i.e. 1330 or 1350 universal type to get it properly matched up. If in underdrive I don't usually shift until 2 gear is used up, then upshift..use it up, then 3rd assuming heavy load...less load be lazy go 1-2-3 then shift unit. The ability to shift down .8 while in high is great on tough hills and smoking tires at speed in 2nd. I also think the underdrives are quieter while in direct drive and if you need the torque multiplication of the underdrive the engine is usually wailing anyway. Sorry can't give you anymove definitive information on the overdrives. Alan

(Login 460stang)

Thanks.

No score for this post
May 17 2005, 12:26 AM 

I looked into mine today. I cleaned up the electrical today and it all looks like it works good. BUT there is NO way I am going to get this in my FOX. I knew if would take some sheet metal work. But with some measuring it seems that the passenger seat mounting and the E-brake mechanism will have to be cut up to. Don't want to go there. I think I will clean it all up and sell it to someone with a little more room. DANG I wanted OD. Maybe I can get enough for it to start building an AOD.

(Login h2oking)

If for sale

No score for this post
May 18 2005, 12:02 AM 

If you are going to sell it let me know how much..I may be interested. Still need one more C-6 adapter for a third installation. Thanks Alan spilc150@access4less.net

(Login 161854)

Used DNE2 Units

No score for this post
March 5 2014, 3:23 PM 

Alan,
I have one complete , locally rebuilt, working overdrive for a C-6 with wiring and another that is apart with a partial wiring set. Both have adaptors, yokes, etc as well as a couple of new switches and other misc parts for the units. I will sell "all" of what I have for $ 900+ shipping. I am in So Cal.
Randy

(Login daddysdream)

DNE2

No score for this post
November 7 2013, 6:19 PM 

Hi I see your post I know its an old post but I hope to talk to you I just bought a doug nash dne2 overdrive unit for a chevy t400 trans and I want to see if you want to sell the one that's apart I need some parts for this one my number is 813-385-2807 if you could give me a call much appreciated thanks,i hope you see this.

(Login daddysdream)

DNE2

No score for this post
November 7 2013, 6:19 PM 

Hi I see your post I know its an old post but I hope to talk to you I just bought a doug nash dne2 overdrive unit for a chevy t400 trans and I want to see if you want to sell the one that's apart I need some parts for this one my number is 813-385-2807 if you could give me a call much appreciated thanks,i hope you see this.

Rob
(Login 67stang1)

Doug Nash

No score for this post
May 17 2005, 10:34 AM 

I've got one on my 86 F-350 that I pull my 26' car trailer with, the only thing I had to change once was the shifting motor after it got an internal short. As far as strength I've got the 6.9 with a Banks Sidewinder and it holds up to that with no problem, being it's not a planetary unit it does have a very loose and clunky shift like you said. You have to shift it like the old two speed truck rear ends, when going from direct to overdrive you need shift it and then let of the gas to "unload" it before it will shift. I wouldn't recomend down shifting from overdrive to direct untill your almost at a stop as it really clunks and I have heard of them coming apart from doing that, I always wait till I'm under 10 mph put the trans in neutral, then shift it and put the trans back in drive.

Although they won't take anywhere near the power of the new planetary overdrives out there now if you watch how you shift them and don't over power them they are pretty durable.

Current Topic - DNE2 (Doug Nash Enterprises) Overdrive unit. Anybody ever used one?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement