<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cowl hood for '73-'79 Ford trucks and '78-'79 Bronco.

May 22 2005 at 4:04 PM
No score for this post

(Login dcf150)
from IP address 67.163.170.250

Where are you guys buying these complete hoods from? They look very good and would serve the purpose I need. I only need about two inches of clearance.

Would it make more sence just to buy the cowl hood scoop? (There's nothing wrong with my hood.) What type of hood scoop (open front or cowl) would look good on my '78 Ford Bronco? Here are some ideas I have. Thank you for the help.

These next two are only for supercharged engines (single carb, I know), right? They don't seem capable of flowing alot of air, anyway.

May God's Grace Bless You.

1978 Bronco, 508" EFI, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator AOD-FRPP wide ratio gearset, Atlas II Highlander transfer case, performance built Dana 44/60-lockers & 4.10 gears, 4 wheel disc brakes, heim joint cross-over steering, 4" suspension lift, 35" mud tires.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bohica
(Login bohica2xo)

'Glass hood assy....

No score for this post
May 22 2005, 4:17 PM 

Danny:

Try here:

http://www.up22.com/ranger.htm

They make several hoods for the '73~'79 Ford truck.

Part #'s FDA384 & FDA389 available from 4 inches to 9 inches.

They also make lightweight "race" hoods, and a pile of scoop designs...

Dave Max
(Login ddrace)

what i did

No score for this post
May 22 2005, 6:06 PM 

I bought a harwood cowl scoop and fitted it to my hood. my truck is a 70 though. same principal. its even functional. here is a picture of the early stages. the hood has since been smoothed out and almost ready for paint. I used fusor two part panel mount. rivets every three inches. when all set up, I covered the area where the glass hood met the steel hood with fiberglass matting and resin. then finished with a light coat of filler.

D&D Race

(Login 77460ford)

Here's a couple more Danny

No score for this post
May 22 2005, 10:13 PM 

http://www.usbody.com/
&
http://www.mercury-pickup.net/mcmillan.htm

The second link is a business not far from me. I didn't see them listed but he has the molds for a fiberglass hood with the scoop molded in. If interested I could call on Tuesday for more details.
Are you looking for more hood clearance? If not another option is:
http://www.ramairbox.com/
This is what I used.

John.

(Login dcf150)

Thanks for all the responses (but no one answered any of my other questions).

No score for this post
May 23 2005, 1:37 PM 

Bohica, thanks for the link, it's a great resource.

Dave Max, you did a great job on that hood! That's exactly what I have in mind. Please post pictures of the finished product.

John W., I've been a big fan of that ram air box for a long time. That is the absolute best method for air induction. I have A/C and other accessories, that make this option more difficult to fit.

A few questions:
What size (diameter) are those air ducts?
What size drop base is that?
What diameter filter housing is that?
What height filter housing is that?
(By the way, I didn't see any cowl hoods or scoops for the late 70's Ford trucks on those links you provided.)

May God's Grace Bless You.

1978 Bronco, 508" EFI, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator AOD-FRPP wide ratio gearset, Atlas II Highlander transfer case, performance built Dana 44/60-lockers & 4.10 gears, 4 wheel disc brakes, heim joint cross-over steering, 4" suspension lift, 35" mud tires.

(Login cstmwgn)

Some info for you

No score for this post
May 23 2005, 2:56 PM 

Danny

Not one of the contributors above but here is some contact info:

Air Inlet Systems
(905) 549-6135
website "http://www.ramairbox.com"
email ramairbx@wchat.on.ca

This info comes from the back of their 98 catalog so I can't swear that it is still current. They have a number of different configurations and specs in the catalog.

Allen

This message has been edited by cstmwgn from IP address 67.188.46.217 on May 23, 2005 4:14 PM

(Login 77460ford)

Some dimensions

No score for this post
May 23 2005, 7:00 PM 

Hi Danny,

The US Body link only has a GT500 molded scoop in their tilt front, that would make changing plugs easier . It almost looks like a cowl induction from the picture or you could open the front of the scoop, either way its a big project. The second link doesn't show the late '70's hood with the scoop, I'll ring him tomorrow (holiday today) and find out if the molds are still around and cost. He had a cobra jet style scoop molded for one and maybe a cowl induction but I'll check.

As to using a scoop or hood, I guess my concern is how you cut the hood and support it. Not being a body person (autobody), you'll have to make that call. Dave looks like he did a great job. I've read pro's and con's to molding in scoops and not getting cracking.

The inlets for the ram-air box you see in the pic are 5" pipe welded to the rad saddle. I wanted a little more meat when putting the ducting on and off. I use a flat base on the air cleaner (gave more room for plumbing and linkage), the air filter element is a 14" x 5". With the Performer RPM at 4.12", a 1" carb spacer, carb, and 5" high filter element I've got about another 1" to 1 1/2" clearance to the hood.

Hope this helps.

John.

PS - Dave, could post or e-mail a couple pics of how you cut your hood under the scoop. Thanks

This message has been edited by 77460ford from IP address 209.213.244.224 on May 23, 2005 10:49 PM
This message has been edited by 77460ford from IP address 209.213.244.224 on May 23, 2005 7:21 PM
This message has been edited by 77460ford from IP address 209.213.244.224 on May 23, 2005 7:02 PM

Current Topic - Cowl hood for '73-'79 Ford trucks and '78-'79 Bronco.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index