<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

460 tow rig help

July 18 2013 at 10:55 PM
No score for this post
  (Login 71T500)
from IP address 32.178.247.21

Ok, here's what I have so far.... C9 block, .030 over, DOVE-A heads. My question is, should I go with KB137 pistons w/zero deck or a dished variety? This engine is going into my 76 F250 CrewCab pickup and I will be towing with it ( I know, should look into a diesel but that's not nearly as cool in my book...) the rest of the build will be mostly stock, small "rv" cam (still think in' on that one) I've got a 750 Holley vac seconds, a DUI dizzy and stock truck exhaust manifolds. I'm also kicking around some scorpion rockers for the top. The reason I ask about the zero deck flat tops is I built a 4V Cleveland a few years ago for my 71 Torino, I got my squish down to .032 and I swear I could run diesel in that thing! Now I know that's a light car that doesn't tow but I've always been amazed by it... I've read many posts on this sight and I still can't make my mind up... Anyone have any thoughts? I guess at the end of the day I want a strong running street truck that can still latch onto my camper now and then... Thanks for your thoughts! Also, my machinist just called today to let me know the block is good at .030 so I can order pistons... Aargh!!!!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login PaulKane)
Forum Owner

Re: 460 tow rig help

No score for this post
August 22 2013, 12:31 PM 

Use of the KB137's may not require block decking, and at 0.030"overbore your compression ratio will be around 11.7:1 with the D0VE heads. Not a great combo for a 4500+ pound F250 truck if you want to run pump gas and tow additional weight...even at 0.032" squish.  The KB 15cc dished pistons will get you to 10.5:1 and the 22cc dish about 9.9:1, but personally I think both of those options still result in too much compression for any pump gas friendly truck/tow engine we'd build for a customer....unless they stay constantly remain at high altitudes.

fordavatar.jpg

We're On The Web:

http://www.highflowdynamics.com/

Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family

Email:

highflowdynamics@earthlink.net

Montana Dan
(Login 71T500)

Thanks Paul!

No score for this post
August 23 2013, 4:34 PM 

Welp, I ordered and installed the KB137's.... I was figuring on about 11.5:1 with a .040 head gasket so I guess my math was close! And you were right, no decking required, I'm right at zero. Let me get your opinion on a couple more questions if ya would; because of the higher compression I was going to install a bit bigger of a cam, around a 270h grind and advance it 4 degrees, install some L and L shorty headers and a water meth kit for towing. Hopefully this with tame it down a bit, what's your opinion? Thanks!

(Login PaulKane)
Forum Owner

Re: Thanks Paul!

No score for this post
September 24 2013, 8:06 PM 

Sorry, no personal experience with water or methanol injection for detonation control. And I have no idea what a 270h cam is. But if you mean to say that you want to use a " bit bigger of a cam" and a "water meth kit" for detonation control due to your exhorbitant compression ratio for the application.....then I would say that I'd be starting with less compression ratio so as to avert the needs of the ancillary systems and components. This isn't to necessarily say that your approach won't work...I've just never gone down that road.

Paul

fordavatar.jpg

We're On The Web:

http://www.highflowdynamics.com/

Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family

Email:

highflowdynamics@earthlink.net

Montana Dan
(Login 71T500)

Paul!

No score for this post
September 23 2013, 11:54 PM 

Still value your opinion......

(Login klla)

460 powerd tow rigs

No score for this post
October 9 2013, 11:34 AM 

we`v built/run 3 of them. one was a hydro boom/wheelift F-350 with a stock 429, one was a f-350 roll back with a modded 460 and the last is a F-550 with a holmes 500 "birdcage" style twin boom with a modded 460.

the wheelift 429 truck is what sold us on the 385 series powerplant as an excellent choice for gas power in these rigs! plenty of low end torque and good pulling characteristics throughout!

the rollback with the modded 460 was a mistake. and the mistake was compression ratio too high/RPM specific cam/intake. {IMHO} being a rollback w/wheelift, we would grab a couple of todays cars at the auction and run them wherever. this truck would fall flat on its face up until about 45mph!then it would start running good!since the auction was ALWAYS in the middle of town, driving through traffic there would heat this thing up so bad that restarting was ALWAYS a problem! put a couple of cars on it and you`d better NOT stop and shut this thing off! new starters and jumpstarts seemed to have little effect. it just wasnt starting until it cooled off! [this with a new waterpump and 4 core radiator!]the mech who spec`d this engine up for my partner said it was a matter of timing and he would need to install gear drive setup to stay within spec. "bullshit", i told him, "its a matter of mix-matching heads and block deck height and the machine shop screwed you further by milling so much off the heads in an attempt to get them flat!" the matter was solved when the truck got T-boned and the engine was sold off to a guy building a `72 gran Torino! not surprisingly, that engine ran pretty damned good in that Torino!

the 460 in the F550 was pro built for a motorhome. engine ran great until it backfired under the doghouse and burnt the motorhome to the ground! its got a medium RV cam/tri-Y headers and a RPM intake. its an 78 block with stock comp ratios and heads. i`v hooked up to a box truck weighing in at 22.5g and walked right off with it! because of the stock F550 gearing,55/60 is about top i want to run this rig but it will run faster, just dont see a need to run it that hard!

if i were you, i would seriously take pauls advice regarding comp ratios and cam specs!we tried it the other way and all we got was a decent street car engine! was`nt worth a damn for a towtruck!

Montana Dan
(Login 71T500)

Thanks Klla!

No score for this post
October 9 2013, 9:25 PM 

Thanks for your input Klla! I'm to far in to stop now though.... Engine is going in as soon as I've winterized my camper, which I should'a probably had done prior to the last blast of snow.... I've got my water/meth kit installed and working on my FE in preparation for the 385, and I'm hopeful, we shall see I suppose. I will keep those interested informed of my success or demise, I just kinda hope with my gearing and other mod's mentioned I will be happier than a fella with a 390! Lol!

Current Topic - 460 tow rig help
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement