Software for repair shop
Assist Control

Free trial

tv repair

Monitor repair forum - Open   
Download schematics and service manuals
See our courses below

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to monitor repair course  

Dell P1110 excess brightness after reset.

November 8 2004 at 1:55 AM
No score for this post
Alex Balashov  (Login valeko)

Greetings,

I got a used 21" Dell UltraScan P1110 (Trinitron) yesterday, and the image on it was beautiful until I accidentally hit the factory default reset button. After that, the baseline brightness is very high; even at "zero" brightness, it's nowhere near the black point.

I've toyed with all of the OSD features (none of which seem to affect brightness) and researched this question, and it seems to me that most people's solution is some kind of electrical modification. But is that really necessary? Isn't there something I can do to turn its baseline brightness back down?

This monitor does not seem to have a 'service mode'; I've tried several different documented approaches to entering it, and none of them lead to a password propmt.

My motivation for this enterprise is that the brightness was correctly tuned before. Surely it must have gotten that way somehow? How do I get it back there?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Richard B
(no login)

Re: Dell P1110 excess brightness after reset.

Score 5.0 (1 person)
November 8 2004, 4:25 AM 

This unit may have been set using the expert colour settings due to the brightness problem.

I guess It would have had the colour backgrounds set lower than normal this would reduce the brightness level.

Rich

Alex Balashov
(Login valeko)

Hm.

No score for this post
November 8 2004, 5:18 AM 

If I understand correctly, you're referring to the 'expert' colour temperature settings. I've fiddled all around with those, but all they seem to do is affect colour. Background brightness subsists at an absurdly high level. I'm quite certain the solution lies elsewhere.

Richard B
(no login)

Re: Hm.

No score for this post
November 8 2004, 12:33 PM 

Hi yes I am.

Try using the colour calibrate which you can only do after the unit has been on for 30 minutes.

if this does not work then try the following.

If you turn down all 3 backgrounds by equal amounts the the colour temperature should remain the same but reduce the brightness level.

If this does not solve your problem the only resort is too take it to a Sony repair agent and have them set it up on the DAS software.

Pressing restore has called up the factory settings, the reason it is now too bright is either the factory setting for brightness has been corrupted or the monitor had been set up by someone else using the expert mode to make the picture darker.

Rich

Alex Balashov
(Login valeko)

Ah.

No score for this post
November 9 2004, 1:53 AM 

Well, I've turned down the three RGB gains and that did have a slight downward effect on brightness, but nothing worth mentioning. It's still absurdly bright.

Surely there's got to be a way to sort this out without finding a Sony repair agent! The shop from which I got the monitor almost certainly did not have that done, and I doubt the original user of the monitor did either. It all seems very improbable.

Where does one find a Sony repair agent, anyhow? How does one look that sort of thing up? The Sony website leaves me utterly bewildered.

Richard B
(no login)

Re: Ah.

No score for this post
November 9 2004, 4:28 AM 

Hi it is not the gains that need turning down, the gain is akin to the contrast for each colur where the backgrounds are the equivelent to the brightness for each colour.

Some where in the postings on this forum a guy called "Cid" says that this problem is usually caused by component failure in the G2 circuit but as the cost of monitors is now so low no one has delved that deep to find which component causes this problem.

Rich

Alex Balashov
(Login valeko)

Hm.

No score for this post
November 9 2004, 11:31 AM 

Yeah, I realise now that the biases is what I had turned down, not the gains. Thank you for that clarification nevertheless.

There has got to be an easier way to sort this out. When I got the monitor two days ago the brightness was at a perfect black point. It doesn't seem to me that circuit/component problems would permit that, but rather that they would foster a chronic, pervasive problem. It was fine prior to my hitting the settings reset button; I should be able to get it back to how it was before without making any electrical justifications.

I finally found a copy of the Dell DAS software and several variations on that theme, but unfortunately all of them require a HASP dongle.

There has got to be some way.

Alex
(Login skiperman)

Re: Hm.

No score for this post
November 10 2004, 8:05 AM 

Are you russian?
Where you live?
E-mail me, then call by phone. I try to give you solution

Alex Balashov
(Login valeko)

Problem fixed.

No score for this post
November 20 2004, 7:01 PM 

I am happy to report that I have fixed my brightness problem on my Dell UltraScan P1110 (Sony Trinitron). I decided to go ahead and replace a resistor, as recommended ubiquitously online, and it worked. Essentially, I followed this procedure:

http://www.hutzelman.com/home/hardware/mods/monitor/

Basically, replacing the 10 meg resistor at junction R459 on the controller sorts the problem and gets low brightness back down to a suitable black level. Somewhat counterintuitively, the lower the resistance is, the lower the brightness (the circuit of which R459 is part provides positive feedback to some regulator, I think; it's not directly responsible for brightness).

That page recommends something in the 4.7 meg - 6.8 meg range, so we installed a 6.8 meg resistor. This is because my baseline brightness level wasn't really "too bright"; if it were superbright, a more radical solution (e.g. 4.7 meg) would have been in order. Also, the page does not mention it, but other sites mention that the resistors need to be rated for at least 0.5 W. This is crucial if you want to avoid it burning up. Radio Shack carries resistors in the 4.7 - 6.8 range, but only rated at 0.25 W, so I had to order some from DigiKey that fit the bill.

Rich B
(no login)

Re: Problem fixed.

No score for this post
November 21 2004, 5:25 AM 

Hi Alex

I see you have done the same as everyone else now.

Just one little thing the wattage rating for the resistors was so so that 500V rated resistors are used in the repair not 1/4W 250V rated.

The dissipation in the resistors is less than 50mW.

Rich

anonymous
(no login)

works great

No score for this post
December 23 2004, 2:40 PM 

i did this with a 5.6Megaohms resistor to me CPD-500E and its cured, thank you very much!

mstuehler
(no login)

Re: Problem Fixed

No score for this post
January 4 2005, 6:20 PM 

Alex,

Many thanks for your post. I'm having the same problem, so I thought I'd try your solution, but I don't know anything about electronics and soldering.

I'd like to order the same resistor you used from Digi-Key, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Can you provide a link, or more detailed specifications?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers,
Matt Stuehler

Anonymous
(Login voltron-defender)

Re: Problem fixed.

No score for this post
October 12 2007, 5:38 PM 

Hello!

I have IBM P260. The brightness was too high, so i did everything like here:
http://www.hutzelman.com/web/pages/hardware/Mods/SonyCRT/

I've soldered 5.1 MOhm resistor instead of 10 MOhm.

Now brightness level is pretty good, but there's another problem: EVERYTHIG BECAME VERY RED !!!

"Color Return" function didn't help.
I've lowered red bias to zero, but greys are still reddish.
Brightness controll affects only red brightness (when I increase brightness, picture becomes red, and when decrease - it becomes green-blue).

Help me, please, to fix this bug.

P.S. sorry for my bad english.

Scale
(no login)

problems with trame

No score for this post
January 26 2005, 6:48 AM 

i'm sorry but my english is not very good because i'm french

i have a problem with trame of DELL TRINITRON ULTRA SCAN P1110 and i "chercher" electric "schema" for repair

if you help me for my problems, thanks

Ade
(no login)

Re: problems with trame

No score for this post
January 26 2005, 3:37 PM 

Here http://rv6llh.rsuh.ru/shema.htm go to Sony CPD-E500E, its almost identical to the P1110 bar the casing and video input arrangement.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to monitor repair course  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
   TV repair course   TV repair forum     Monitor repair forum    Monitor repair course