HAVE A NICE DAY!!!! Post Now

Return  

Removing brass tubes

March 30 2010 at 7:48 PM
No score for this post
Tom  (no login)
from IP address 76.16.237.22

Response to I doubt if it really matters.......

I know this is an old post, but it seems like the right place.

Just put a 4100 on my 351w yesterday - started right up; but wouldn't idle or even stay running unless I held the choke almost all the way closed. Something's dirty. So I go right back to the carb cleaner and air on that grubby primary booster. Several cycles of soaking and blasting didn't clear up the idle circuit which seemed very restricted. So... I pulled the inner brass tubes out.

I gently clamped the booster upside down in a vise and slowly heated it with a propane torch. Not so hot that you couldn't touch it - but hot enough that you wouldn't hold it for more than a second or two. I put my leatherman pliers on the brass tube and with light but steady pressure wiggled the tube right out - pretty easily - both.

With the inner tube out I made a half hearted attempt at the outer tubes; but didn't want to press my luck and didn't see the point.

The tubes were still dirty; but easy to clean up when they're out. Even with them out, one side of the booster still seemed restricted. So I grabbed my cheapo sandblaster and a box of baking soda and had at it. I kept blasting up the outer brass tubes (inner ones still on my bench) until I saw a steady stream of baking soda blowing out the idle jets and air bleeds. Clean is good.

When tapping the inner tubes back in the booster they had a mind of their own though. All my efforts couldn't get them to go back in any different than they came our - Crooked! -

Idles great and seems to run good now - won't know how good until I get the boat on the water for the real test.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on TechnicalCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Post Now