<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

John 1:1

April 20 2009 at 9:16 AM
  (Login JohnOneOne)
from IP address 69.95.189.230

This message is not meant to be an advertisement to sell my book ("What About John 1:1?"), as it will not be available but for maybe another year or so.

Directing your attention to my website (has, as its only purpose), is to draw attention to the fact that such a work is in the making, something of which I believe may be of interest to many here, hoping to also serve as an encouragement/invitation to any of you to contact me about it if you so wish.

Yes, I am in search of any feedback/input from any here, as I would hope that by way of your engagement with me, I too may benefit from your thoughts/information as well.

Good Companion Books
"What About John 1:1?"
http://www.goodcompanionbooks.com

Agape, Alan.
john1one@earthlink.net

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
rhonda
(no login)

The book

April 20 2009, 10:16 AM 

Hi Alan,

I love the title, because that's what almost everyone says in response to the assertion that Jesus is not God. "But what about John 1:1?"

Did you have the Yahoogroup forum: John 1:1? I was a member there once, and I was amazed at how much material, study, information and discussion that results on just on that one Scripture!

So many years of research going into the book--I'm very interested in reading it, Alan.

Thank you for telling us about it! I'll be sure and share your website with others I know. happy.gif --rhonda

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnOneOne)

Yahoo Discussion Group

April 20 2009, 11:02 AM 

Yes, Rhonda, I am the moderator of the Yahoo discussion group entitled: JohnOneOne, found at:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JohnOneOne/ (Any others here are also more than welcome to join.)

As for the title of my forthcoming work, "What About John 1:1?", I would agree, this certainly is the question many a Trintarian asks. Hopefully, with the time and attention to detail given to this question, many will be finally afforded the opportunity to receive some very satisfying answers to such an important question.

Agape, Alan.
john1one@earthlink.net

Respond to this message   
Curious
(no login)

Questions re the Book.

April 29 2009, 2:32 AM 

What are your Academic qualifications for doing this? Are you proficient in Biblical Languages or are you just quoting sources with which you agree with?

Are you considering other Biblical language scholars such as William Barclay, Dr. Robert H. Countess, Dr. F. F. Bruce, A. T. Robertson, Bruce M. Metzger [et al] and answering there concerns re the translation of the verse?

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnOneOne)

Questions re the Book

April 29 2009, 5:30 AM 

In answer to your questions I will simply state that, because this work is a collaborative effort - that is, by means of engaging the expertise and input of many qualified individuals - our hope is that this will be quite thorough in effectively addressing most (if not all) issues raised, especially by any of those who happen to hold to a Trinitarian influenced mind-set, those who are commonly known to object (for what ever their stated reasons) to an "a god" rendering within the third clause of John 1:1.

Agape, Alan.
john1one@earthlink.net

Respond to this message   
Curious
(no login)

Re: Questions re the Book

April 29 2009, 2:47 PM 

Expert and qualified in what field?

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnOneOne)

Expert and qualified in what field?

April 29 2009, 5:01 PM 

Quite Curiously, is it not true that, in the face of having possessed the greatest 'expertise' and in being so much more 'qualified' than any individual who had ever lived on earth, even Jesus was regularly confronted by those who would insist that his background (as they saw it) made him (and his followers) simply unworthy of any serious consideration? What a shame.

Apparently, who is an "expert" and to be considered "qualified" is in the eye of the beholder. It is for this reason why I am of the opinion (for what that's worth) that what ever I might provide and/or list here about them cannot be expected to impress all, and that would be true even if Jesus, himself, were here present among them. After all, even history is replete with the record of many a 'qualified expert' as having made any number of poor decisions.

On that note, I prefer to let the work itself speak more directly to that and other important issues.

Agape, Alan.
john1one@earthlink.net

Respond to this message   

(Login knischansr)

Question Re:

June 5 2009, 10:08 AM 

In other words no you are not, anymore then C.T. Russell was when he wrote studies in the scriptures.

Respond to this message   

(Login rhondayvonne)

Matthew 11:

June 5 2009, 10:35 AM 

25 At that time Jesus said in response: I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to babes. 26 Yes, O Father, because to do thus came to be the way approved by you. 27 All things have been delivered to me by my Father, and no one fully knows the Son but the Father, neither does anyone fully know the Father but the Son and anyone to whom the Son is willing to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all YOU who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh YOU. 29 Take my yoke upon YOU and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and YOU will find refreshment for YOUR souls. 30 For my yoke is kindly and my load is light.

Respond to this message   
Curious
(no login)

Questions re the Book.

April 29 2009, 2:32 AM 

What are your Academic qualifications for doing this? Are you proficient in Biblical Languages or are you just quoting sources with which you agree with?

Are you considering other Biblical language scholars such as William Barclay, Dr. Robert H. Countess, Dr. F. F. Bruce, A. T. Robertson, Bruce M. Metzger [et al] and answering there concerns re the translation of the verse?

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnOneOne)

Quoting only those with whom I agree.

April 29 2009, 6:23 AM 

Curiously, with regard to your question, that is, as to whether I intend on "just quoting sources with which [I] agree," as someone once brought to my attention, is this not exactly just what Trinitarian's, themselves, do? Regardless of what some might, otherwise, surmise/conclude, we certainly hope to not be guilty of the same, especially in the same way as they are.

Contrary to what some might initially suppose, by way of our research and detailed, exhaustive consideration of the subject, our intention is to provide for our readers a fair, thorough and balanced work. If, at a later time, it is the contention of some that such be not the case, that will be for them to decide. And yet, we are also certainly willing to concede to the notion that, regardless of what the truth of the matter really is, there will always be those who, despite all of any of the evidences to the contrary, will still seek to find some reason to reject it. (Jesus and his disciples are certainly a testimony to just such experiences.)

And, perhaps, it is, indeed, needless to point out that this would not, in and of itself, prove the correctness of our position, nor the substantiation of any claim towards a professed fairness. Even so, it is also our view that this can certainly lay credence to the notion that not all will/can be expected to agree - and this we honor as a God given prerogative - regardless of which side of the issue one may stand. (Again, Jesus is a testimony to that particular kind of circumstance as well.)

It is our hope that, as different ones give thoughtful and prayerful consideration to such matters, they will be afforded a greater opportunity to explore the full implications of the many different alternative renditions, that is, of those as had been presented (along with their detailed reasonings) by many a Biblical scholar, even as proffered by Trinitarian and non-Trinitarian alike, down thru the past 2,000 years, in as many as 15 different languages.

Agape, Alan.
john1one@earthlink.net

This message has been edited by JohnOneOne from IP address 69.95.189.230 on Apr 29, 2009 6:49 AM

Respond to this message   

(no login)

John 1:1

July 12 2009, 3:12 AM 

Dear Curious,

You asked:

"Are you considering other Biblical language scholars such as William Barclay, Dr. Robert H. Countess, Dr. F. F. Bruce, A. T. Robertson, Bruce M. Metzger [et al] and answering there concerns re the translation of the verse?"

Yes, we hope to have included within our work some level of consideration of most all of these scholars' views as well.

Agape, Alan.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

What scholars have said. . .

August 9 2012, 5:58 AM 

. . . about the New World Translation.

Regarding this topic, you may find the following weblink quite interesting, as, apart from attempting to provide an arguement against the NWT, many of those very same scholars and their claims are here being specifically addressed:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_the_jehovah_witness_bible_and_the_Christian_bible

Agape, Alan.
john1one@earthlink.net

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - John 1:1
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on ChristianityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ptf footer
Views expressed on this forum are not necessarily
those of the forum owner or any other group or individual.
This forum is not affiliated with any Church or denomination.

Return to Index Start

Present Truth Forum
http://www.octaman.com/images/hippodromestage.jpgSearch Pastor Russell

Search Bibles
Online Bibles
Crosswalk.com
Gateway Bible
Blueletterbible.org
chart of the ages explainedPresent Truth Website
Bible Student Websites
Contact Forum Owner

Best Sources for News on Israel