Return to Index  

One rifle using 7.62x39mm is...

September 5 2001 at 7:12 AM
  (Login MillRatUSMC)
from IP address 12.84.5.37

Response to The "tumbling bullet" theory has been around since.......

The rifle that they took from us in Nam...that being the M-14 which many (Seals are a good example) are now using as a sniper rifle especially in cold weather...but all these rifles have been reconditioned and they may be using a slightly heavier barrel.
You were dicussing the theory about the wounding of a man and it would take two to carry him...many of our enemies bodies are the least of their worries...another theory that I might suggest if we turn this around and you're under fire at a range greater than 300 yards by someone using a round heavier than the 5.53-5.56mm round you're at a disadventage from the start...and you're the ones that will be suffering and having people killed or wounded.
Now about the thumbling...saw a woman shot in the ankle because she was running away and she was warned to stop...that round went clean through exiting in the ball of the foot...if that had been a 7.63mm round she would have lost the foot...now the round is heavier than the round that was designed to do the thumbling and with the shorting of the rifling from 1-14 to 1-7 is has reduced any thumbling of the bullet...a fear that I have never voiced is that many believe in the thumbling theory and are placing their lifes at risk because it will not do as promised...which brings us back to what I read that now our thinking is defensive instead of offensive because we have to wait till their within range...than we will take them under fire starting with 3 rounds burst than turning to a single shot...
My gut feeling is that many know there's a problem but don't want to risk the commission or career by raising a concern...much like the industry in the civilian world...lost of job or career might mean loss of family...so they keep quite...even if they know there's a big problem...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo aka The Dusty Footer..."ALL THE WAY"

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

If you want Justice, work for Peace!