May 6 2012 at 7:48 AM

lunamagic  (Login lunamagic)
BW Member
from IP address 90.38.202.86

ZIGGY'S 40TH BIRTHDAY

kingston_ad.jpg

1972.05.06 KINGSTON POLYTECHNIC

Saturday 6 May 1972
David Bowie, Kingston Polytechnic Main Hall, Penryhn road, London.

The evening's gig at Angie's alma mater marks a turning point in David 's popularity.

After the sound-check, pianist Nicky Graham and sound man Robin Mayhew leave the venue to flypost the neighbourhood with posters illustrated with a cartoon rendition of David as Ziggy.

On their return, their access is blocked by the queue which tails around the block. "I had to call friends to act as extra security," said Graham in 1990. " It was about this time we really knew we were on to something."

The set now consists of 'Hang On To Yourself', 'Ziggy Stardust', 'The Supermen', 'Queen Bitch', 'Song For Bob Dylan', 'Changes', 'Starman', 'Five Years', 'Space Oddity', 'Andy Warhol', 'Amsterdam', 'I Feel Free', 'Moonage Daydream', 'White LighVWhite Heat', 'Gotta Get A Job', 'Suffragette City', 'Rock 'n' Roll Suicide' and 'I'm Waiting For The Man'.

In the audience is David's acquaintance Alan Mair, formerly of The Beatstalkers.

Customers and fellow stall-holders in Kensington Market have been raving about David's latest releases, and Mair is curious to check out the latest from his fellow former client of Ken Pitt's.

"When we got there I was amazed to see the queue," said Mair in 1992. "We didn't have tickets, so I asked one of the bouncers on the door if he would get a message to David that Alan Mair was outside with friends. He returned and said we could get in through a side entrance.

"We had to pass the dressing rooms on the way to the auditorium. I could hear David singing so I knocked on the door and walked in.

"He immediately said 'Hi Alan!' and threw his arms around me.

"The show itself was absolutely amazing and I could immediately see what all the fuss was about. Afterwards I said to him, 'David, you're fucking brilliant!' That was the last time I saw him; my friends still talk about it to this day."

Also on the bill is Scottish electric folk quintet The JSD Band, who impress David so much they become a regular support act.

Kevin Cann - Any Day Now: David Bowie The London Years: 1947-1974

mick_rock_uk_tour_1.jpg
Photos Mick Rock - UK tour 1

May 6 KINGSTON,POLYTECHNIC. qu 71/2 min 80 X

Hang on to Yourself/Ziggy Stardust/Supermen/Queen Bitch/Song For Bob Dylan/Changes/Starman/Five Years/Space Oddity/Andy Warhol/Amsterdam/I Feel Free/Band intro-Moonage Daydream/White Light, White Heat/Got to Get a Job/Suffragette City/encore: Rock & Roll Suicide/encore: Waiting For the Man

The JSD Band attended to the part of the programme leading up to Bowie and his men's appearance. "I'm David Bowie, these could be the Spiders from Mars, but this is some of our music" Bowie says, coming on stage. The audience are fairly calm and there are spells of silence in between the numbers. The majority of the audience knew little or nothing of Bowie, but, when Space Oddity begins,they recognise it and start applauding. During the lift-off they must laugh: for Bowie tries to imitate with his mouth the sound of a rocket taking off, but all he produces is some muttering! The performance of the song is beautiful with Ronson taking the second voice. "Thank you very much for coming. I want to say that I don't think we've ever worked with a better group, I think the JSD Band are fantastic, I really do. This is a song by a French composer", Bowie says, and continues with Amsterdam. Then comes I Feel Free, the old Cream number written by Keith Brown. I dare say the lengthy instrumental part played in this song sounds very much like that of Width of a Circle! The audience clap along with the first part of the song, and when it is finished Bowie introduces the Spiders to the audience. After Moonage Daydream comes White Light, White Heat, which Bowie announces with the words: "We shall continue with a number written by somebody I admire very much, an American songwriter called Lou Reed". "Thank you, this is one from the album we've been doing most of the material tonight, it's called Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, and this is called Rock & Roll Suicide" Bowie says when he is called back by the enthused audience. "Show me your hands!" he sings, and after this the audience are even more frantic, and clapping their hands, yelling, and stamping their feet, they finally succeed in calling Bowie back a second time. "With his banjo we'll do one more for you tonight. It' s a Lou Reed number called Waiting For the Man".

live_in_england.jpglive_at_kingston_polytechnic.jpg

Bootlegs:

Live in England '71: Wizardo WRMB 504
Side 1: Ziggy Stardust/Song For Bob Dylan/Starman/Amsterdam/I Feel Free
Side 2: White Light ~White Heat/Got t o Get a Job/Five Years/Rock & Roll Suicide qu 6 min 40 X
A very rare record whose existence has long been denied. Only 2,000 copies were made of this disc!

Live at Kingston Poly 7-5-72 Volume 1
Side 1: Hang on to Yourself/Ziggy Stardust/Supermen/Queen Bitch/Song For Bob Dylan/Changes/Starman
Side 2: Five Years/Space Oddity/Andy Warhol/Amsterdam
Live at Kingston Poly 7-5-72 Volume 2
Side 1: I Feel Free/Moonage Daydream/White Light, white Heat/Got to Get a Job
Side 2: Suffragette City/Rock & Roll Suicide/Waiting For the Man
Both records are of much better quality (qu 8) than the Live in England LP and, moreover, between them they comprise the entire concert, which renders the Live in England LP much less exceptional.
Pimm Jal de la Parra - DAVID BOWIE - The Concert Tapes

rarestonebowie_i_feel_free_kingston.png

Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Re: Ziggy 40 - 1972.05.06 Kingston Polytechnic, LondonhmMay 6, 2012, 9:01 AM
  Excellent post!StrangerMay 6, 2012, 11:52 AM
   Re: Excellent post!hmMay 6, 2012, 1:34 PM
    ah, so it was Angie Bowie, with the microphone that did it!StrangerMay 6, 2012, 2:24 PM
 Re: Ziggy 40 - 1972.05.06 Kingston Polytechnic, LondonClaudeMay 6, 2012, 1:41 PM
  Re: Ziggy 40 - 1972.05.06 Kingston Polytechnic, LondonAntMay 6, 2012, 2:48 PM

Back to BowieWonderworld website