<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

So what are you reading at the moment/recently?

March 1 2010 at 5:21 PM
No score for this post

sonofsilence  (Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member
from IP address 62.25.109.194

I'm reading Gabriel Garcia's One Hundred Years of Solitude.

It has to be one of the hardest books I've ever read. Too many characters and doesn't flow at all. I'm on the verge of giving up on it.

Another books I recently read was Steve Toltz's Fraction of the Whole. Fantastic book. The Aussie author's first novel. And a great effort.

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy from IP address 62.25.109.194 on Mar 1, 2010 5:22 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

doctoroctopus
(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

Re: So what are you reading at the moment/recently?

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 5:29 PM 

Brubaker's Captain America. Its the tits.

-----------------------------------------------

96dbNibbler
(Login Nibbler3000)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 5:36 PM 

I started reading One Hundred Years of Solitude late last year. This was the second time I'd read it, the first was in 1979. I found it tough-going too and I gave up as soon as James Ellroy's Blood's A Rover hit the shops.

I'm currently reading this:

[linked image]

MotorSensational
(Login MotorSensational)

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 5:54 PM 

I am reading this for the first time ever!!!

[linked image]

It was not allowed until recently.

Don't want to end up a cartoon,
In a cartoon graveyard .....

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 6:47 PM 

Since my computer went tits-up the other day, I've had to resort to books. Bill Bryson's 'The Mother Tongue' is a very amusing tour through our wacky but popular language.

With a little coercion they will happily swan-dive into the vortex of their own making

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 6:51 PM 

I like Bill Bryson's books. So far I've read a Short History of Almost Everything, Into the Woods and the Life and Times of the Thunderbolt kid. All highly recommended.

Baal
(Login CageyUK)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 6:54 PM 

Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Small Island" is a damn good read.

---------------------

96dbNibbler
(Login Nibbler3000)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 6:56 PM 

I've read the Aussie one (Down Under or, for some strange reason, In a Sunburned Country in the US and Canada), which was particularly interesting for me as an immigrant (albeit 8 years before it was published in 2000).

It was a good read. I'd like to read more.

doctoroctopus
(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

Nibbler

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 7:17 PM 

Have a read of some of these extracts our kid.

http://www.booksattransworld.co.uk/billbryson/downloads.html

-----------------------------------------------

billb
(Login unfurl)
BW Member

re;So what are you reading at the moment/recently?

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 7:23 PM 

SOS

'The Damned Utd '

Much like 'train spotting'

It has style.

and both enjoyable reads.

rgds

billb

GeoCentric
(Login GeoCentric)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 8:01 PM 

Just Kids by Patty Smith

Geo.

http://www.georgewolstenholme.com

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

Re: Just Kids

No score for this post
March 1 2010, 11:39 PM 

It's the Radio 4 book at bedtime...sweet dreams.

With a little coercion they will happily swan-dive into the vortex of their own making

iggyziggy3
(Login iggyziggy3)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 2 2010, 4:19 AM 

patti's just kids was fantastic......as a part of splitting up the belongings with the soon to be ex- missus we took our 3,000 book library and sold 2,000 of the buggers. the remaining 1,000 were split between us mostly along lines of interest. so in my new little bachelor pad i have my all time favourite 500 books on the shelf. the other night i thought it would be a great project to re-read all these books and see how age and experience has changed my perception of them. the early results are ..

GUT SYMMETRIES - JEANETTE WINTERSON .... even better than the first time ... a beautifully written book ... that artfully weaves together a love triangle , alchemy and quantum physics ... and comes to the conclusion that ,yes , love is the answer and we are are all made of stars. JW would be in my top three for best living writer on the planet.

A SELECTION OF BOOKS BY CHARLES BUKOWSKI .... a great prose poet and genius in describing the lower rungs of society ... a man with an amazingly powerful bullshit detector. also an unrepentant alcoholic and a real bastard to the women in his life ... which bothered me a lot more now than it did in my younger days.

TOKYO DOESN'T LOVE US ANYMORE - RAY LORIGA .... a brilliant and fairly recent work of speculative fiction. he's a spanish writer and unfortunately only 2 of his books have been translated. this one becomes more relevant every day. set in the very near future....when legal and bootleg psychotropic drugs are saturating the market. the narrator sells drugs that make you forget ... short term...long term...a specific incident. it posits the question(s) what would you do if you knew you would not remember it or have to live with the consequences? what would you like to forget if you could? if you have no memory of something are you innocent of it ? and finally what happens when the dealer (who works for a massive corporation) starts getting in to his own supply ?

[linked image]

Sean
(Login under-the-god)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 2 2010, 7:42 AM 

I listened to it, really good and would advise everyone to tune in.

Portraying The Poor - In Print was excellent too Em

wink.gif

Tits and Explosions

AJ
(Login ajowen)
BW Member

What am I reading?

No score for this post
March 2 2010, 10:42 AM 

What am I reading at the moment? The same threads over and over as they do not turn mauve any more when I have read them.

123paul
(Login 123paul)

No score for this post
March 2 2010, 2:42 PM 

garcia's '100 years...' is a good book - i re-read it over the xmas period & found it pretty free-flowing and entertaining. i'd not praise it quite so highly as s. rushdie does, tho.

in the last month or so i've read shimon gibson's 'the final days of jesus', w mckeen's hunter s thompson biog, the gospel of thomas, leslie phillips autobiog, mieville's 'the city & the city' (gosh, that was very good, i thought), some of the poetry of michelangelo, defoe's 'robinson crusoe' (interesting as i mostly saw it as an adventure story for children before, ha!), sam delany's 'dhalgren' (again), a book of letters between r. graves & s. milligan (two writers / artists / poets that i'd appreciated seperately, but had no idea that they knew each other & corresponded - bargain aged hardback for £2.50).

my idea of heaven is an afternoon in a second-hand / antiquarian bookshop that is seemingly endless.

96dbNibbler
(Login Nibbler3000)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 2 2010, 5:59 PM 

my idea of heaven is an afternoon in a second-hand / antiquarian bookshop that is seemingly endless.

I know what you mean. There's a suburb in inner Sydney, near Sydeny Uni, called Newtown and there are a number of new/secondhand bookshops there. One of them is in this huge barn of a place. It must have more than a million items. You could spend a week in there and still not see everything.

123paul
(Login 123paul)

No score for this post
March 2 2010, 6:16 PM 

ah...how i yearn for the second-hand bookshops that existed when i was a younger man. there was one on duke st. that had an amazing ground floor & an utterly incredible basement area that was huge. i found a copy of e.r. burroughs 'a princess of mars' 1st (uk) edition and only paid a couple of quid for it. bliss. they had so many ancient magazines & periodicals - mostly at 50p a throw - keriiiist, how i wish i'd taken out a 2nd mortgage & bought the lot - hindsight is a wonderful thing, eh? there was another shop that had a display with 'Malleus Maleficarum' in it...mind you, that was very expensive - even then.

beautiful books. some of my best friends are books.

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

Re: The Poor In Print

No score for this post
March 2 2010, 8:26 PM 

Heard that this morning, Sean...very interesting indeed.
I had an abridgement of Mayhew a long time ago, when we were working on Old New York and the impoverished mice in 'An American Tail'.

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

Re: The Poor In Print

No score for this post
March 2 2010, 9:23 PM 

123paul....If you are into second hand book shops you will die for Hey-on-Wye in Wales. Famous for it's acient second hand book shops. For population of 1900 it has 30 bookshops!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hay-on-Wye

Here's some pics I took of the place.
the famous bookshop (next to bank)
[linked image]
Shelves overloaded with books 9the place has that musky smell of old books.
[linked image]
and more
[linked image]
even outside
[linked image]
[linked image]

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy from IP address 86.171.96.148 on Mar 2, 2010 9:31 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website