<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Noel Gallagher, Alex Turner, Plan B On Bowie

October 7 2011 at 4:46 PM
No score for this post
Dash_Away  (Login Dash_Away)
BW Member

Some really nice quotes about Bowie from this month's Q magazine which is celebrating it's 25th Aniversary and has asked a whole host of stars to comment on the music that changed their lives.

Noel Gallagher is asked: Which legend would you most like to see live?

His reply: "Bowie. He is the one person me and the missus would die to see. Led Zeppelin, Roses...they would be exciting. But I'd kill to see Bowie live. I know he hasn't been very well but we need him. He's just in a different league to everyone else."

Alex Turner is questioned about which musical heroes have you met?

He replies: "First time we ever played New York, David Bowie came to watch us. We talked about nothing because we all freaked out, basically. He came backstage after and we all shook hands and said hello. It was a mad time for us, anyway, but I wasn't expecting that. I wasn't prepared. I'd like to meet him again, now it would be a better conversation. We're all pros. We just went silent and he could see what was happening and just went, "Good gig, I'm off now." That would be an example of how not to meet someone you admire."

Turner also goes on to say he's attempted Moonage Daydream at karaoke!

And Plan B is asked about what he thinks people will be saying about him in 25 years and replies that "my mum says I remind her of David Bowie, not the way the music sounds but just how I can be diverse and reinvent myself. So maybe people will see me as that."

Bowie is also mentioned by the likes of Green Day, The Killers, Guy Garvey from Elbow.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Michael
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

Re: Noel Gallagher, Alex Turner, Plan B On Bowie

No score for this post
October 7 2011, 7:38 PM 

Noel's full of shit. If he was such a big fan, he had plenty of chances to see Bowie live. They were probably having dinner together with Tony Blair at Chequers during the 'Cool Britannia' years, so he would even have been on the guest list, but the twat thought he was too good to be associated with Bowie and 'Dad down the disco' stuff.

Alex Turner and the Arctic Monkeys are shit, but at least he's not gushing or comparing himself to Bowie, so I'll let him off.

Plan B - "my mum says I remind her of David Bowie, not the way the music sounds but just how I can be diverse and reinvent myself." Honestly, this is why music is so shit now, these people have their head so far up their own arses admiring the view and thinking they're something special and believing their own publicity, and nobody has the nerve to turn round to them and say 'Actually, you're pretty shit.' Has anybody heard Plan B? The only way that prick could reinvent himself, would be by climbing to the top of Big Ben and diving off head first, and his Mum should follow him, for being daft enough to fill his head full of nonsense.

Nobody will be talking about him in 25 minutes time, never mind 25 years time!

That's just my opinion, though!

Mist.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson.

Shane
(Login shane140)

No score for this post
October 7 2011, 7:44 PM 

Arctic Monkeys are shit, Plan B is shit (one minute he's rapping the next he's singing in the ridiculous high pitch voice, in the same song!) Noel Gallagher is alright, I like him more than his twat brother.

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 7 2011, 11:42 PM 

Noel must be mid-forties so yeah,plenty of opportunities.
I remember him saying some thing like he'd smack Bowie if he met him (over the nazi salute).
I remember thinking at the time." Yeah,Bowie would kick the shit out of you,you tosser". happy.gif

Don't mind Plan B.A lot better than most of the shite in the charts these days.
At least it's got a tune.happy.gif

This message has been edited by lestwh on Oct 7, 2011 11:47 PM

Rednik
(Premier Login paulkinder)
BW Member

Not Noel

No score for this post
October 8 2011, 5:46 PM 

Why does everyone down south seem to get Noel and Liam mixed up?

Noel has never bad-mouthed DB - ever.

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

Re: Not Noel

No score for this post
October 8 2011, 11:47 PM 

This southerner doesn't get Noel and Liam mixed up Paul.
I'm 99% certain the quote was Noels.

Dash_Away
(Login Dash_Away)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 8 2011, 4:48 PM 

Well, in fairness, Noel's mouth did/does sometimes run away with him but I'm sure I've read him say several highly complimentary things about Bowie over the years. Same as John Lydon who, though he slated Bowie in his autobiography, has been quite generous in his praise over the past few years or so as well.
As for Alex Turner and Plan B, well whatever you think of their music, it's nice to hear them say very positive things about Bowie. Turner, in particular, is one of the best talents of his generation and I think it's great he acknowledges his peers. He seems to know his stuff. I think him and Bowie would get along just fine if they ever met again.
But that's just my opinion.

Dash_Away
(Login Dash_Away)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 8 2011, 5:58 PM 

I've always quite liked Noel as a person. Cannot stand Liam at all. A complete pillock, with his hard man act. Who's he trying to kid? If I remember rightly, the only time he ever got into a fracas with Oasis, with some guys in a bar when abroad, he literally got his two front teeth knocked out and was thrown across a table. Now he wear two false front teeth. Maybe that's why he now sings like someone with a hernia trying to have a shit through a straw.
Not that I condone violence, but in this case I'm tempted to make an exception.
A complete fake.

Rednik
(Premier Login paulkinder)
BW Member

Outside tour

No score for this post
October 8 2011, 5:47 PM 

Noel did Bowie Outside gig at Wembley in 1995.

He was also backstage with David.

I think he means to see a "new Bowie gig"

Dude
(Login Du_de)
BW Member

Re: Outside tour

No score for this post
October 10 2011, 3:24 AM 

Plan B has done two albums.

Both are completely different from the other. If you listen to them and don't see that as re-inventing yourself then you have your head up your own arse.

His Defamation Of Strickland Banks album was easily the best of last year. He's a real talent.

Alex Turner is the best lyricist since Moz. Very talented and he'll be around for along time. He's done 5 albums of real quality and he's only a young fella. Admittedly the first two Arctic albums were the best but he's evolving. I see him as being the one who'll really be compared more closely with Bowie as the years go by as he seems to have a lot in his locker.

What Noel has said reminds me a little of Weller. Weller always hated Bowie but warmed to him as he got older and actually became a fan. Maybe Noel started listening to Bowie and realised that he'll never get close to writing an album of the quality Bowie used to bring out annually.

BSI
(Login bowieseveninch)
BW Member

Re: Outside tour

No score for this post
October 10 2011, 4:44 AM 

I'm a massive admirer of Arctic Monkeys. Alex Turner also put out a beautiful EP for the Submarine film.

I'd rather these people talking Bowie up instead of slating him.

Baal
(Login CageyUK)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 10 2011, 9:32 PM 

Noel Gallagher is asked: Which legend would you most like to see live?

His reply: "Bowie. He is the one person me and the missus would die to see. Led Zeppelin, Roses...they would be exciting. But I'd kill to see Bowie live. I know he hasn't been very well but we need him. He's just in a different league to everyone else."

So he's poorly then?

---------------------
webmaster@helden.org.uk
http://www.helden.org.uk

Michael
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 10 2011, 9:33 PM 

Well spotted there, Baal!

Mist.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes." - William Gibson.

Paulinee
(Login porkers57)

No score for this post
October 11 2011, 1:32 PM 

I'm glad that there are some positive comments about Bowie still around by relevant artists. I do like Plan B - I played his last album non-stop when it first came out - great for singing in the car on the way to work. As for Alex Turner - I agree he is a great writing talent and one that will last - I really liked the Shadow Puppets too and their version of 'In the heat of the Morning' - brilliant. As for Noel not too bothered either way - any good comments are fine by me. I do get disappointed by some comments on this forum about present music - there is so much good stuff around - it's good to look forward and not always look back - Listen to 'Wild Beasts', 'Foals', 'The Horrors' to name but a few great British bands. love on ya happy.gif

lee
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

plan b

No score for this post
October 11 2011, 2:58 PM 

not keen on plan b or his music he comes across as a bit of a twat.

how on earth did he get cast to play george carter in the sweeney?

i take it that this film remake will not be set in the 70s.
no-one was fat in the 70s dennis waterman was always very slim.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website