ZIGGY

March 27 2012 at 8:50 AM
No score for this post

Grandfather Jones  (Login qawsedrf2)
BW Member
from IP address 62.49.31.206

[linked image]

REMINDER: ZIGGY STARDUST PLAQUE THIS MORNING

The VIP unveiling will be hosted by The Crown Estate at the Hub, 10 Heddon Street, W1 opposite number 23 where the original Ziggy Stardust cover shot was taken.

Spandau Ballet's Gary Kemp is doing the unveiling. Here's a bit from the band's news page,http://www.spandauballet.com/news/gary-to-unveil-ziggy-stardust-plaque/ posted last week...

Garys love of the seminal album goes way back to his childhood and he often refers to seeing Bowie on Top of the Pops as being a life-changing moment. Now, 40 years on, Gary is honoured to be an integral part of the celebrations of Bowies mystical alien landing on Earth.

The Ziggy Stardust album cover photograph was shot in Heddon Street and the plaque will be only the second to be erected in London to commemorate a fictional character (the first being Sherlock Holmes) . Gary will also be presenting a BBC Radio 2 documentary to be broadcast on 6th June, the actual 40th Anniversary of the albums release.

David Shaw, Head of The Crown Estate Retail Portfolio will also speak as will a Westminster City Councillor.
Gary has been talking to the media about the upcoming Ziggy Stardust BBC Radio 2 documentary and you can still hear him for three more days via the BBC iPlayer from when he was a guest on The Robert Elms Show about the project and his love of all things Bowie.

The Bowie section is around half an hour in to the show.http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00plqxn/Robert_Elms_With_Gary_Kemp_this_week_s_Fourfer__Johnny_Homer_and_Curtis_Stigers/

FOOTNOTE: If you do go, listen out for THAT phone ringing...if you answer, make sure the first thing you say is 'I Love Ziggy Stardust' and you just might get a Ziggy-related prize.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
hm
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

Re: ZIGGY

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 9:18 AM 

I still think the whole thing stinks. Radio 4 were live from Heddon Street this morning. The medley of Ziggy tunes sounded really really embarrassing on the Today programme.

Alan Galaxy
(Login alan.galaxy)

Heddon Street today

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 1:37 PM 

Trevor Bolder and Woody Woodmansey underneath the plaque in Heddon Street this morning.
[linked image]

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

Re: Heddon Street today

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 1:53 PM 

Wonderful pic, many thanx happy.gif

[linked image]

Alan Galaxy
(Login alan.galaxy)

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 2:21 PM 

Glad you liked it, here is another one:
[linked image]

L-R Gary Kemp, the guy from The Crown Estate (who was wearing a particularly impressive pair of platforms), Terry Pastor (who hand coloured the album sleeve~), Trevor & Woody. Sorry about the bloke in front taking the photo but I wasn't quite tall enough to get him out of shot!

hm
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 2:29 PM 

I like it now happy.gif

Alan Galaxy
(Login alan.galaxy)

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 3:07 PM 

I have to say it was a great atmosphere, everybody was cheerful, all celebs were happy to chat and sign autographs and all egos were left at home. I'm glad I made the effort to go.

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 3:14 PM 

Another great pic! Many thanx Alan happy.gif

[linked image]

Rednik
(Premier Login paulkinder)
Forum Owner

Nice pics

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 6:14 PM 

Nice pics Alan... glad you made it. Thanks for posting

Tom
(Login trysomebuysome)
BW Member

Re: Nice pics

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 7:32 PM 

Where's my post! Hmmmm.........

Debbie
(Login breakingglass)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 5:30 PM 

Nice post happy.gif Cant believe I was in London last wk and it all happened this wk.....missed out

Breaking Glass x happy.gif

Claude
(Login Claude2011)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 6:34 PM 

Great!
Thank you! happy.gif

-----------
Claude

Alan Galaxy
(Login alan.galaxy)

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 6:46 PM 

Woody was great.....I held his cup of tea whilst he signed my Ziggy CD.
[linked image]

Alan Galaxy
(Login alan.galaxy)

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 6:50 PM 

.....and Trevor seemed a little bewildered by all the attention.
[linked image]

lee
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

itv london tonight

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 6:53 PM 

there was a nice little feature about it tonight on this programme.
it was on for about five minutes. she was talking to gary kemp and trevor and woody.
complete with clips of starman from totp and ziggy hammersmith odeon gig.

interesting that trevor said bowies management is here and i think we'l b hearing a lot more about this?

woody really looked rather like jim bowen i thought.

Alan Galaxy
(Login alan.galaxy)

Re: itv london tonight

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 7:17 PM 

"woody really looked rather like jim bowen i thought"

ROFL

I can see where you're coming from.

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

No score for this post
March 27 2012, 7:28 PM 

LOL! wink.gif

[linked image]

BB1
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 4:14 AM 

Am I the only one feeling slightly uncomfortable with Gary Kemp being given the honour of unveiling this Ziggy plaque? Surely there are more deserving candidates who should have been considered before Kemp.

Might I respectfully suggest Paul Kinder would have been more fitting choice since he is responsible for what's probably considered the best Bowie fan site currently available thus keeping interest in Bowie going, even Blammo from Bowienet would have been a better choice after all the shit he has had to take keeping the shipwreck that is Bowienet afloat.

Gary Kemp says Ziggy changed his life, well Ziggy changed mine and others as well, just coz he is a washed up ex pop star doesnt make him a good or indeed worthwhile choice IMHO.

Great photos btw Alan G, thanx!! happy.gif

--------------------------------------------
REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]
---------------------------------------------

hm
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 7:44 AM 

That's one of my problems with these misguided things - Weird N Gilly were there. Get them to do it.

BB1
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 3:44 PM 

Gary Kemp has done a program on Ziggy for R2 hasn't he? that must have been the reason he jumped to the top of the list to get the honour of unveiling this special Ziggy plaque? Bollocks!

Indeed why weren't Trev and Woody given the honour since they were there?? I suppose it could have been worse, Boy George might have got the gig sad.gif

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]
---------------------------------------------

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website