July 27 2012, 10:25 PM 

Not enough of bowie featured.

Respond to this message   

Claude
(Login Claude2011)
BW Member

Re: Olympic opening ceremony first impressions

July 27 2012, 10:25 PM 

This message has been edited by Claude2011 from IP address 94.36.229.172 on Jul 28, 2012 4:11 PM

Respond to this message   

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

July 27 2012, 10:33 PM 

Embarassingly bad.

Seems a list was drawn up of all things great about Britain.

Like the NHS,the Mini and err...sardines got a mention.

Nothing obviously imperialistic like Spitfires,Nelson and Churchill.

Respond to this message   
marcellipop
(Login marcellipop)
BW Member

July 27 2012, 10:51 PM 

well at least Bowie was included in the show; its a starman.....

Respond to this message   

(Login nomadetech)

China wins

July 27 2012, 11:19 PM 

It seems artistically wise China is a step ahead and not rooted in boring tradition. Mr.Bean is the cherry on top of this disaster.
Good Bowie steered clear of the greatest drug induced show on Earth.

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

@Pierre

July 28 2012, 11:02 AM 

Bowie hate China wink.gif

I thought the opening ceremony was BRILLIANT!

And as for China! Maybe you should go live there Pierre LOL.

What a lot of rot you do talk.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login nomadetech)

Sorry

July 28 2012, 2:40 PM 

If I hurted you national pride. Sincerely,
I liked the second half more than the beginning, it's just that I am anti-olympics.
At leat it ended with Heroes.
Pierre

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

Re: Sorry

July 28 2012, 3:22 PM 

Apology accepted Pierre happy.gif

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login lillybrinker)

July 27 2012, 11:21 PM 

Weird...I'm watching BBC World News and they are talking about the opening ceremonies also.

I thought the show would be broadcast live around the world. Guess not. I won't be able to watch it for another hour or so here on the East coast of the States.
NBC is showing it at 7:30 pm EST

Respond to this message   

(Login justahint)
BW Member

July 27 2012, 11:57 PM 

Its heroes!!

Respond to this message   

BSI
(Login bowieseveninch)
BW Member

July 27 2012, 11:58 PM 

Team Great Britain walk out to "Heroes".

Best part of the night.

Respond to this message   

(Login justahint)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 12:02 AM 

Now we've got arctic monkeys playing in a biscuit tin!

Respond to this message   
gabe
(Login gabe_)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 12:44 AM 

I just turned it on and saw Paul McCartney singing Hey Jude for the one billionth time.

This message has been edited by gabe_ from IP address 70.49.11.100 on Jul 28, 2012 12:45 AM

Respond to this message   

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 1:08 AM 

You missed him balls up the intro then? happy.gif

The second half was an improvement.Nice touch letting the youngsters light the flame after all the speculation.
Also,very sad to see Ali in such a bad way.

Respond to this message   
lillybrinker
(Login lillybrinker)

July 28 2012, 1:57 AM 

NBC's commentary is horrible.

Yes the conductor of London's Symphony may have nice legs but did you really need to say that out loud?

Respond to this message   

Mt Obvious
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 2:02 AM 

"Keep your eyes on the baton arsehole!
...sounds like a goof

Respond to this message   
hm
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 8:32 AM 

A shower of shit. Over designed, and made a please the generation bent of The Voice, 1xtra and BBC3 shit.

Respond to this message   

Nuclearstar
(Login nuclear_star)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 8:37 AM 

I enjoyed it for what it was.

Boyle did good.

What would the moaners liked to have seen?

(Ps. Never seen the voice!)

Sound of the devil, breaking parole.

Respond to this message   
Mick
(Login Littlebombardier)

July 28 2012, 8:40 AM 

The Brits entering the stadium to Heroes.

What a proud (Bowie fan) moment.

happy.gif

Catch the moment here........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19025006

This message has been edited by Littlebombardier from IP address 79.75.70.79 on Jul 28, 2012 8:45 AM

Respond to this message   

Dandyfied
(Login Dandyfied)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 9:46 AM 

I thought Mary Poppins and the industrial revolution were fabulous.

It was refreshing to have the Arctic Monkeys playing at it would have been so easy to have some sub standard Simon Cowell act.

Could have done without yet another rendition of 'hey jude' though, and I thought the Mr Bean segment was just naff.

The use of Heroes was a perfect way for team GB to arrive.

Overall..., well done Danny Boyle happy.gif

Listening to Passion Pit

Respond to this message   
Mick
(Login Littlebombardier)

July 28 2012, 9:49 AM 

'I thought Mary Poppins and the industrial revolution were fabulous.

Overall..., well done Danny Boyle '

I agree - the industrial revolution bit was spectacular (was a bit worried at the start though!)

happy.gif

Respond to this message   

John S
(Login UrchinOne)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 10:40 AM 

The first half didn't really work for me. The analogy with Glass Spider is a good one. When there is too much going on the over-all effect is lost. I think the Chinese understand this. They take something simple like someone drumming and then repeat it 20,000 times. This creates a spectacle.

The highlight for me was Team GB entering the arena to Heroes, followed by the lighting of the torch and the Arctic Monkeys were fantastic - cool Britannia indeed.

McCartney? Another poor appearance I think (the other being the Jubilee). I've got no problem with artists continuing into old age if they can still cut the mustard but McCartney's voice has gone. Someone should tell him.

Over-all the ceremony was quirky and quintessentially British but I'm not sure how much of the first half would have been understood by the rest of the world. At least Boyle didn't dumb the whole thing down (Bond sequence not withstanding).

7 out of 10.

UrchinOne
White and Dressed to Kill.

Respond to this message   

popp
(Login idnks)

July 28 2012, 11:10 AM 

i know it's impossible our dutch team would walk into that stadium to Heroes, the fact that the british team did is very cool, it's about those people, it's not about paul mccartney singing hey jude again at the end, it's about the team that walked into that stadium and he choose Heroes to go along with that.
that's so f*cking cool, and then the starman moment, and all these ziggydancers, i think bowie was very well represented, more then i expected

----------------------------------------
what a beautiful thread, tell the others.

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

July 28 2012, 11:13 AM 

Well said popp happy.gif

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
tintoy
(Login tintoy)
BW Member

could have been worse . . .

July 28 2012, 12:22 PM 

"Heroes" was majestic, a true goose bumps moment. I agree Mt Bean was pathetic, Industrial revolution and other Bowie bits were great though. It could have been so D grade celeb'/Big Brother dumb type stuff. It was reverential and quaint in parts but not bombastic . . .

Respond to this message   

(Login tintoy)
BW Member

just found this good review . . .

July 28 2012, 12:30 PM 

Respond to this message   
muzz
(Login muzz08)
BW Member

It was a bit of a mish mash

July 28 2012, 12:43 PM 

But that's in evitable in the circs

I thought the Arctic Monkeys were great - and I long lost patience with junior guitar bands

Macca was Macca - a bit like the Queen, did his bit, ok he was a bit embarrassing but hey....

The Bowie touches were superb, really struck a chord or two. Even if the lyrics to Heroes aren't quite what people think they are.

Respond to this message   

Claude
(Login Claude2011)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 3:40 PM 

"that's so f*cking cool, and then the starman moment, and all these ziggydancers, i think bowie was very well represented, more then i expected"

Well said Popp! wink.gif

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

Respond to this message   

Claude
(Login Claude2011)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 4:25 PM 

Great!!! happy.gif

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

Respond to this message   

Claude
(Login Claude2011)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 4:15 PM 

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

July 28 2012, 4:31 PM 

Many thanx Claude happy.gif

It's nice to see how other nations view us.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Claude
(Login Claude2011)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 7:15 PM 

27 million of pounds(euro 34 million) just for the opening ceremony, what a shame in times of crisis!

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

Respond to this message   

(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 8:11 PM 

Great! happy.gif

-----------------------------------------------

Respond to this message   
Mick
(Login Littlebombardier)

Bowie Gold Medal!

July 28 2012, 11:10 PM 

Respond to this message   

Bowie Base One
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

Great. for me as well.

July 28 2012, 11:14 PM 

Well to be honest I thought it was brilliant. happy.gif

It played on our heritage and past so what! when you have a heritage and past as good as ours it's something to admire and celebrate. Quite often I find that those who dismiss something on those grounds are jealous because they haven't got much of a heritage or past to call their own that's as rich and diverse as ours, or if they are from this country and they think such things then they are totally unaware of the importance of it because if they were aware of it they would know why its something to shout about and be proud of. Anyway this was an opening ceremony of the Olympic games wasn't it, as such the whole idea of it is to celebrate the particular host countries good points, past and present. Maybe we should have celebrated the winter of discontent at the end of the 70s which caused Thatcher to gain power which fucked the United Kingdom in more ways than one right up to the present day instead? or maybe we should have celebrated within the show how all our home grown manufacturing and service industry bases have now gone, and how everything is now owned by Johnny Foreigner? or that instead of celebrating the concept of the NHS, a system everyone still admires and envies, we should have celebrated that its on it's knees due to Tory cut backs etc, etc, maybe then the naysayers would be happy? wink.gif

Yes it could have been perceived as a bit of a stereotypical view of our country as seen by the outside world and I did notice a lot of political correctness within the show, but hey! thats the way it is these days and after all it was only a light entertainment ceremony at the end of the day, you know a bit of fun. Making comparisons with China is a bit pointless IMHO. Beijing was spectacular no doubt about that, but to be honest I remember finding it a little bit boring after about half an hour, at least ours kept the attention of the viewer all the way through and was diverse, entertaining, factual, and funny with regards to our unique sense of humour. I thought the linking music / songs throughout the show were good and the 1000 drummers totally captivating, also the sets were very well done and the way it changed from rural to industrial revolution was very spectacular in it's own way. The copper kettles which made up the final Olympic flame center piece was very artistic I thought, so credit where it's due people.

I wasn't too impressed to see a German Mini being used though? surely they could have sourced a proper British Leyland Mini, although they will say it was to celebrate the fact that the German Mini is built here in the UK creating employment instead of in Germany, and that our workforce is still very skilled, blah blah, It was still a German Mini though sad.gif and didn't quite fit in with celebrating real Britishness and was a reminder that we don't really own any car manufacturers of significant size anymore.sad.gif

Not enough Bowie? excuse me! it wasn't the bloody David Bowie show you know, and what Bowie we did get was brilliant in the greater scheme of things. I agree Team GB walking out to Heroes was a master stroke and made me as a Bowie fan and Brit feel extremely proud.happy.gif The music segment was great and was a brilliant reminder that we lead the world in music and everyone else are really just pretenders wink.gif Oh! and what a great reminder that the Internet which we are all using now was a British invention, one of many!

I'm the first to admit that I can get real downers on when it comes to the state of the UK and the attitude of it's people these days, but I'm still proud to be British, I'm not adverse to celebrating our rich past and our diverse cultures. Despite current woes I do believe that ultimately we as a country will pull through, see sense, fuck Europe off, and get things back onto a realistic track. In the meantime I'm proud that we can still put on a great spectacular when needed and not spend a small fortune compared to others doing it. I've heard it's cost something like 27 million up to now? well look at it this way it's still cheaper than what Andy Carroll cost Liverpool F.C. sad.gifwink.gif

COME ON TEAM GB! happy.gif

Edit... I nearly forgot! Paul McCartney! what a joke, what an embarrassment! sad.gif I refer back to an earlier thread where I seemed to be mostly alone in saying music artists should know when to pack it in when they reach a certain age. Point well and truly!! proven. sad.gif

--------------------------------------------
REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]
---------------------------------------------

This message has been edited by trevorhalvo from IP address 92.0.111.204 on Jul 28, 2012 11:18 PM

Respond to this message   

Claude
(Login Claude2011)
BW Member

July 28 2012, 11:37 PM 

Meanwhile the poor people are starving!
It's disgusting!

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

Respond to this message   

BB1
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 12:09 AM 

Oh! Purleeeeeeze!

So the whole world stops and no one is allowed any fun anymore because the world is full of poor people many of whom are poor because they are too lazy to get off their backsides to improve things about their life, or as nations they would rather hold conflict against each other rather than work together to create a better life for themselves.

I've every sympathy for those less fortunate than myself and I do!! my bit in my own way to help them, but I'm damned if I'm going to put my short life on hold just because there are shit situations in this world.

Bleeding hearts, don't ya just love em.

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 12:19 AM 

My impression was that Mr. Boyle understood from the git-go that he wasn't going to be able to compete with China - the benefits of a command economy - so the ceremony emphasized the democracy, diversity and - I'd venture to say - personality of the venue.

I thought it was nutsy in a charming way. Splendid use of Bowie, too - the Chinese absolutely cannot compete in the field of pop music.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil, that takes religion." Steven Weinberg

Respond to this message   

Claude
(Login Claude2011)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 12:25 AM 

we are on the edge of the abyss

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 1:22 AM 

Well if your on the edge of the abyss of misery and doom and gloom Claude then may I respectfully suggest you go and take a running jump into it mate wink.gif and leave me and the rest of the world to enjoy what hopefully will be a fantastic Olympic Games including the opening and closing ceremony's. Something to help us escape our boring and humdrum lives for short while.happy.gif

Btw those in the know say the income from tourists etc that the games bring will more than offset the cost of staging them. There ya go a few more million in the UK plc coffers which will no doubt find its way to poorer countries via various UK aid projects.

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 1:37 AM 

These in the knowers are the same ones who say the royals bring in more tourism money than they cost.

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 1:50 AM 

Maybe they do maybe they don'? I'm not a fan of the Royals but they are part our identity and history, tourists love them, so until they are voted out by democratic means we are stuck with them aren't we.

I'm sure all the people who watched or attended the Olympic Games opening bash would democratically vote it a success and vote people like Claude miserable let's all kill ourselves now gits. wink.gif

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

This message has been edited by trevorhalvo from IP address 92.0.111.204 on Jul 29, 2012 1:53 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login jimmyosterberg)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 7:39 AM 

I agree almost 100% what BB1 wrote. I think the opening ceremony was great and I managed to watch it from the start to the finnish, which hasn't been the case in many other opening ceremonies including the last one in China. It was just too boring and bombastic and too long. Tho I don't know how big a role for me as a Bowie fan played the fact that I was secretly waiting for Mr. Bowie to show up, which of course I knew beforehand wouldn't happen. The show was all in all quite funny and let's face it sarcasm and irony, i.e. humor, is after all perhaps the best thing that has ever come out of Britain, at least as far as the rest of the world is concerned.
As for being proud of one's nationlaity, I really don't know how much one should be ashamed or proud of being born to a certain nationality. After all there's nothing much we can do about it, is there. it's just a fact of life. What we do and what we are as individuals is the only thing we can be proud of, not that we belong to a certain nationality, altho' a sound patriotism never hurts as long as it doesn't hurt or insult other nations.

Respond to this message   

popp
(Login idnks)

July 29 2012, 10:04 AM 

@BB1, trev

i agree on all your posts in this thread, amazing happy.gif

----------------------------------------
what a beautiful thread, tell the others.

Respond to this message   

BB1
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 10:08 AM 

(( As for being proud of one's nationlaity, I really don't know how much one should be ashamed or proud of being born to a certain nationality. After all there's nothing much we can do about it, is there. it's just a fact of life. What we do and what we are as individuals is the only thing we can be proud of, not that we belong to a certain nationality, altho' a sound patriotism never hurts as long as it doesn't hurt or insult other nations.))

I think one should always be proud of their nationality, it's things like nationality that gives us all as a group of people a sense of purpose as a collective group, it's one thing amongst many others which causes the human race to be able to strive for better and greater things whether it's inventing something or winning a gold medal at the Olympics.

Of course nationality should never be used as an excuse to kill others or to make others feel totally inferior. Having said that there is nothing wrong with a bit of honest rivalry between nations whether it's to strive to be better than other at things or even to have a friendly dig now and again wink.gif its what keeps us all individual. Keeping a specific identity is vitally important in preserving the diversity of our planet. happy.gif

An example of what I mean is the British / Germany rivalry in sport and life, yes it goes back to the wars etc but here's a thing ! I've visited Germany, I found it a beautiful country and the people love us Brits and made me feel vey welcome when I was there, in fact Germany is one of my favourite countries in the whole world ( just don't tell them I sad that wink.gif ) but that doesn't stop me wanting to be better than them as a Brit or wanting to leave the European Union in order to protect the UK wider interests. happy.gif

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 10:17 AM 

(( @BB1, trev

i agree on all your posts in this thread, amazing ))

I'm often miss understood by others popp LOL! wink.gifhappy.gif

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

@trev

July 29 2012, 10:43 AM 

Let me add my voice to your well written posts.

I loved the whole ceremony and parts made my spine tingle with national pride.

As for China!!! Fuck them and their terrible views on human and animal rights. They pollute the earth with their stinking cheap factories.

Bowie hate China...Ant hate China.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Claude
(Login Claude2011)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 12:34 PM 

I am not against the Olympic Games, but considering the serious crisis in the European Union, Great Britain could give a signal of moderation and simplicity.

-------------
*Claude*
-------------

Respond to this message   

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 1:09 PM 

I just thought the whole Boyle segment was a complete fuck up.
Is it even traditional that the host nation bigs up their own history? I can't remember any.
If you're gonna go down that route,then do it properly.
A rappy texty love story and inflatable house lifted to reveal the embarassed looking internet inventor didn't cut it.

Lloyd Webber should have been given the job.

This message has been edited by lestwh from IP address 86.149.73.91 on Jul 29, 2012 1:11 PM

Respond to this message   

BB1
(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 2:18 PM 

(( I am not against the Olympic Games, but considering the serious crisis in the European Union, Great Britain could give a signal of moderation and simplicity.))

Why the hell should we? Besides we did, because we never spent anywhere near what China did. Europe is in crisis so let's ruin a once in a lifetime opportunity for many in our country to host the Olympic Games.

Dream on!

@ Lee .... Some people will always find fault no matter what was organised. sad.gif

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

This message has been edited by trevorhalvo from IP address 92.0.106.139 on Jul 29, 2012 2:57 PM

Respond to this message   

Rednik
(Premier Login paulkinder)
Forum Owner

I thought...

July 29 2012, 3:22 PM 

it was awesome - especially the Bowie bits.

When "Heroes" kicked in - hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

Best quote I've read which asked people what they thought about the ceremony:

"I fucking fell asleep at Belgium. Was it any good?"

Respond to this message   

(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

Re: I thought...

July 29 2012, 3:41 PM 

I'm agreeing with Trev as well. A great spectacle and I don't really care what it costs when trillions are being lost through tax dodging.

You need to take your placard and demonstrate outside your own Government offices Claude. wink.gif

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

Re: I thought...

July 29 2012, 4:24 PM 

"When "Heroes" kicked in - hairs on the back of my neck stood up."

Me too! My whole spine tingled happy.gif

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Dash_Away
(Login Dash_Away)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 3:37 PM 

I thought for the most part Danny Boyle did a wonderful job. Wasn't too enamoured of the Mr Bean section and the text/love affair section was a bit off. Maybe he should've thrown in a little more reference to Dickens and the fallen of the two World Wars, but on the whole I thought it original, slightly eccentric, fantastical and funny. Well done Mr Boyle and all those ordinary folk who volunteered.

And, yes, we can moan about the cost, that it is all corporate nonsense, that there are more important things to be thinking about, spending our money on etc etc blah, blah, blah, yawny, yawny.....but at the end of the day the Olynpics ARE here, nothing's going to change that....so just enjoy them and all those who are anticipating; people who've dedicated years and years to get here.

Respond to this message   

(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 5:17 PM 

Cost us about 48p each apparently.

Respond to this message   

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 5:26 PM 

The dreaded word apparently.

If I don't want to pay,does the next person pay 96p?

This message has been edited by lestwh from IP address 86.149.73.91 on Jul 29, 2012 5:36 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 5:48 PM 

Yeah Mrs Brady old lady pays it for you Lee.

Respond to this message   

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 6:16 PM 

I'm more Norbert Colon Doc.happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 6:23 PM 

I will buy you a Mars bar if I see you at the next Bowie convention Lee as way of compensation.

Sheesh kebabs!

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Lee
(Login lestwh)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 7:19 PM 

Just talked the girls into going Trev.See you there.
Mine's a Marathon.

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

July 29 2012, 7:26 PM 

You will make do with a mini Mars and be happy wink.gif you only get a Marathon if you watch the entire ceremony again including all the teams coming out happy.gif

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

July 30 2012, 5:22 PM 

I missed it all as i was out of the country. I thought it was ok. Well it was cheesey but aren't all ceremonies like this cheesey? It's better than the Beijing opening? and even a bit of humour, why not? It's just all around entertainment. God knows what some countries far removed from the British culture think about it though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

Respond to this message   

(Login ajowen)
BW Member

August 1 2012, 11:25 AM 

For all those of you who keep wishing David will make a "Come Back" - just look at Paul McCartney's performance at the Opening Ceremony. DISMAL.
David has kept his integrity and his charisma intact.

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

August 1 2012, 12:27 PM 

Well said AJ.

Macca looked like Ken Dodd's twin ( unfunny ) brother

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

August 1 2012, 12:28 PM 

Oh and btw...Macca received a million pounds for that pathetic apperance.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Nick
(Login SoftVinyl)
BW Member

August 1 2012, 2:27 PM 

Not true, Ant!

Musical legend Paul McCartney once famously sang that all you need is love - and judging by the small amount of money he took in exchange for performing at the recent opening ceremony, he must really love the Olympics.

When the iconic former Beatle appeared in Danny Boyle's 4-hour opening extravaganza, he set aside his usual sky-high performance price. Instead, according to Britain's NME music site, he received one British pound, or $1.57 in American money.

Why the minuscule monetary arrangement? McCartney agreed to perform his 1968 classic "Hey Jude" and "The End" (the last song ever recorded by The Beatles) essentially for free, but a nominal fee had to be charged to make the Olympics contracts binding.

'You start out wrinkled and you cry...you end up wrinkled and you die.'

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

August 1 2012, 3:02 PM 

The really depressing thing for me is, had David Bowie made a live appearance like Macca and put in a similar dismal
performance, there would still be people coming on here saying he was brilliant, still the best and all the rest of it.

I mean it's like some peole live in some sort of parallel universe where they think the very thought of Bowie succumbing to the natural effects of age is totally unthinkable?

Thank God db had the sense to steer clear.

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

@Nick

August 1 2012, 3:09 PM 

I was going by what I read here:

Paul McCartney Paid $1.57 For Olympics Performance

http://wcbsfm.cbslocal.com/2012/07/31/paul-mccartney-paid-1-57-for-olympics-performance/

So what is the truth?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Brett
(Login BrettAnderson)
BW Member

Re: @Nick

August 1 2012, 3:13 PM 

Macca screwed up the beginning because the sound system was on some kind of delay...He began singing and the sound of his vocal came through the pa about a second later. This was quickly put right!!!

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

August 1 2012, 3:25 PM 

Maccas voice sounded weak and sounded old that's because he is. The cock up at the beginning I can make allowances for, a head in the sand attitude on Maccas part I can't .

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

This message has been edited by trevorhalvo from IP address 92.0.123.112 on Aug 1, 2012 3:31 PM

Respond to this message   

Nick
(Login SoftVinyl)
BW Member

August 1 2012, 3:39 PM 

That article says the same thing...$1.57.

'You start out wrinkled and you cry...you end up wrinkled and you die.'

Respond to this message   

Dunce
(Login DuncanNorvelle)

August 1 2012, 4:02 PM 

Ant is a Buffoon.

Bisous.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

@Dunce

August 1 2012, 5:24 PM 

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

@Nick

August 1 2012, 5:21 PM 

I do apologise. I misread the quote to be 1.000.00 blush

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Dash_Away
(Login Dash_Away)
BW Member

August 1 2012, 5:43 PM 

Macca was a bit off-form, definitely. Didn't really detract from a gloriously bonkers event though.

I just thank Christ it wasn't Coldplay ending the night's proceedings. Imagine dreary, dreary Chris Martin and that nasal, monotone, out of tune voice of his echoing all around the stadium.

Oh Lord.

Respond to this message   

sonofsilence
(Login ziggythecowboy)
BW Member

August 1 2012, 5:48 PM 

To be fair on McCartney's performance at the beginning of the song. The Backing singers screwed it up by starting the first verse too early. That kind of put him off synch.

Lee "Nothing obviously imperialistic like Spitfires,Nelson and Churchill."

I don't think any references to war would have gone down too well. The missile launches on the rooftops is enough.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Suspected of being a shoulder surfer
But he didn't know from shit
About challenge response systems"

This message has been edited by ziggythecowboy from IP address 86.169.107.174 on Aug 1, 2012 5:50 PM

Respond to this message   
lillybrinker
(Login lillybrinker)

Stephen Colbefrajilympic Expealacoverage!

August 3 2012, 12:23 AM 

This message has been edited by lillybrinker from IP address 24.91.164.239 on Aug 3, 2012 12:32 AM
This message has been edited by lillybrinker from IP address 24.91.164.239 on Aug 3, 2012 12:30 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login SpideyCat1)
BW Member

Loved it!

August 4 2012, 11:27 PM 

Especially loved the Industrial Revolution bit happy.gif

and this is sooo cute happy.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsw4ubRdMoc

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Olympic opening ceremony first impressions
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website