<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The New Elizabethans: David Bowie

July 29 2012 at 3:18 PM

Rednik  (Premier Login paulkinder)
Forum Owner
from IP address 81.98.218.233

The New Elizabethans: David Bowie

Broadcasting tomorrow on RADIO 4 - The New Elizabethans: David Bowie.

James Naughtie considers the musical influence of the man.

The New Elizabethans have been chosen by a panel of leading historians, chaired by Lord (Tony) Hall, Chief Executive of London's Royal Opera House. The panellists were Dominic Sandbrook, Bamber Gascoigne, Sally Alexander, Jonathan Agar, Maria Misra and Sir Max Hastings.

They were asked to choose: "Men and women whose actions during the reign of Elizabeth II have had a significant impact on lives in these islands and/or given the age its character, for better or worse."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l7pv9

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
sammy mcnight
(Login pleasecomeaway)
BW Member

Re: The New Elizabethans: David Bowie

July 30 2012, 5:29 PM 

This is actually quite important which probably helps explain the lack of interest up here. But again, it is a glossed chronology of career touchstones. The cultural import of Bowie may require the passage of more time when the baton passes from pop culture to enduring culture (unless the former has finally vanquished the latter).

Were those interview snips archival? Probably. Though conceivably he might be coaxed out for a few nuggets for something of this stature. Probably not though, alas.

This message has been edited by pleasecomeaway from IP address 68.100.104.97 on Jul 30, 2012 5:51 PM

Respond to this message   

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

July 30 2012, 7:56 PM 

A flying trip through about two-thirds of Mr. Bowie's career - although I must say I must violently disagree with Mr. Naughtie's appraisal of the Berlin period: They were arguably Mr. Bowie's best music and whether or not they charted is at this point in time irrelevant.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil, that takes religion." Steven Weinberg

Respond to this message   

(Login doctoroctopussy)
BW Member

July 30 2012, 8:04 PM 

He sang a duet with Bing in '82? I think with a bit more research they would have found that was when the record came out and he recorded it back in '77.

Tosh.

-----------------------------------------------

Respond to this message   

Alan Titchmarsh
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

August 1 2012, 11:05 PM 

Especially as Bing popped his clogs in '77!

New Elizabethans, I like that term. Allows me to comprehend how the present becomes history. My 6 year old daughter asked me "In the olden days, did they know it was the olden days?". "Do you realise that, in the future, now will be considered the olden days?" was my reply.

This message has been edited by BenderRodriguez from IP address 2.99.56.240 on Aug 1, 2012 11:09 PM

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The New Elizabethans: David Bowie
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website