<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Olympic Closing Ceremony - Bowie songs to feature

August 2 2012 at 4:13 PM
Brett  (Login BrettAnderson)
BW Member
from IP address 86.0.80.204

See below and THE WHO will be closing the show.

Stripping lollipop ladies, Russell Brand and ballet: This is London 2012's closing ceremony
The show, A Symphony of British Music, will see dozens of stars singing their hits in a multi-million-pound extravaganza

Closing: Take That will perform at the London 2012 closing ceremony

Stripping lollipop ladies, Russell Brand singing the Sex Pistols and ballet will all feature at the London Olympics closing ceremony, it was revealed yesterday.

The show, A Symphony of British Music, will see dozens of stars singing their hits in a multi-million-pound extravaganza.

Highlights include performances by Queen, Take That, Annie Lennox, George Michael, Ray Davies, The Pet Shop Boys and Madness. Emeli Sande is due to open the show and Kaiser Chiefs, Elbow, One Direction, Ed Sheeran, Tinie Tempah and Jessie J will all play.

The Who are scheduled to close the show and ballerina Darcey Bussell will dance as the Olympic Flame is put out.

Brand will sing a comedy version of the Sex Pistols song Pretty Vacant with Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders in punk gear.

The comic will also perform The Beatles hit I Am The Walrus.

Paying tribute to British design, ­supermodels Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Lily Cole and Georgia May Jagger will strut the catwalk to David Bowie songs Fashion and Rebel Rebel.

The opening moments of the ceremony will feature newspaper-wrapped models of London landmarks such as Big Ben and the London Eye being unveiled.

And 300 performers will take part in a dance based on the capitals rush hour, including lollipop ladies wearing Union Jack swimsuits.

The Notting Hill Carnival will be re-enacted and 160 Coldstream Guards will march to a rendition of Blurs Parklife.

Collaborating: Jessie J will perform with Queen
Rex

Madness will perform Our House, the hit they sang at Buckingham Palace for the Queens Diamond Jubilee concert last month.

Ray Davies is scheduled to sing his Kinks hit Waterloo Sunset and 270 children in costume will recreate the River Thames.

A procession of national flags will be accompanied by Elbow singing One Day Like This.

As well as a parade of 10,000 athletes, organisers will show highlights from the Games during a victory ceremony.

Then a blackout will be followed by Bohemian Rhapsody. A tribute to John Lennon will also be screened.

Other acts appearing near the finale are Take That, and Queen, who will perform We Will Rock You with Jessie J. London 2012 organisers stressed the set list was subject to change and a spokesman said: We wont comment. We want the line-up to be a surprise.

Kim Gavin, who directed the Diana memorial concert in 2007, is creative director for the ceremony.

He said: We want to create a fabulous emotional experience, something people will remember for years.

All the stars will be paid a token £1.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login 2HB)
BW Member

Can't wait

August 2 2012, 4:43 PM 

It sounds fantastic.

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

Re: Can't wait

August 2 2012, 4:56 PM 

Yes it does it should be a spectacular event. happy.gif

Of course there are going to be those who will find fault and be unhappy with the song / artist choices and the British humour aspects of it. sad.gif

--------------------------------------------
REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]
---------------------------------------------

Respond to this message   
Brett
(Login BrettAnderson)
BW Member

August 2 2012, 6:19 PM 

Yes, there will always be the moaners....I thought the opening ceremony was brillient and NOT just coz it featured Bowie songs.

I am right wing in my political views but had no problem with the NHS tribute unlike some idiots in the American press. My god, if you dont get it...a few strokes of your keyboard on google will educate you.

What was great about the opening ceremony was that it did actually challenge. Not many I would guess knew who the inventor of the web was before last friday or Bunnel's conribution to the architecture of the UK.

The closing ceremony will be a glowing tribute to british music...ok, so the Spice girls and George Michael are not my cup of tea but I wouldn't deny their musical contribution.

Can't wait to see the guards march to Parklife, or Madness or Pet Shop Boys, Ray Davies and the Who. Laim Gallagher performing Wonderwall should be good. Russell Brandt, Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French performing Pretty Vacant bu the Pistols makes me nervious though.

Didn't Bowie put in a line about the pistols in 'Goodbye Mr Ed?

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

August 2 2012, 6:26 PM 

This £1.00 token fee to the artists, does it extend to royalties? Does db only get a quid every time one of his songs are played.

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Ant
(Login earthling1O1O)

August 2 2012, 8:19 PM 

"I am right wing in my political views but had no problem with the NHS tribute unlike some idiots in the American press."

Why stop with the American press?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jul/28/olympics-opening-ceremony-multicultural-crap-tory-mp

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

popp
(Login idnks)

August 2 2012, 11:03 PM 

should be ok, if they leave out queen that is happy.gif

----------------------------------------
what a beautiful thread, tell the others.

Respond to this message   
Brett
(Login BrettAnderson)
BW Member

August 3 2012, 10:26 AM 

True Ant...The guy is a tosser.

Respond to this message   
lee
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

August 3 2012, 11:12 AM 

Queen not without mercury buf with jessie j fuckin embarassment.this is shit.better to be at hyde park.blur.

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

August 3 2012, 7:06 PM 

((this is shit.better to be at hyde park.blur.))

If you want to go to a serious music gig then yes. If you want some light entertainment then no. For crying out loud it's a
frigging Olympic Games closing ceremony not bloody Glastonbury.

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login SpideyCat1)
BW Member

Sounds great...

August 4 2012, 11:04 PM 

Just wish Bowie would be there to perform live!

Respond to this message   

(Login SpideyCat1)
BW Member

Opening Ceremony

August 4 2012, 11:07 PM 

I admit to being an Olympic sceptic, but I LOVED the opening ceremony too, esp the Industrial Revolution bit (and the Bowie bits of course)....BUT I am loving the games way more than I thought too!!!! Esp love the emotional/human side of it all, really I eat my words happy.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login iggyziggy3)
BW Member

Re: Opening Ceremony

August 5 2012, 9:56 AM 

it sounds godawful ... butlins entertainment on a billion dollar budget.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login trevorhalvo)
BW Member

Re: Opening Ceremony

August 5 2012, 1:35 PM 

Probably iZ3 but that's exactly what it is isn't it, entertainment for everyone which does cost a fortune these days to put on whoever gets the games.

Trust me not all of it appeals to me either but I will watch it in the spirit of the games otherwise I will simply watch or do something else.

It's easy being critical towards something like this but I'd love to see anyone on here try to do better bearing in mind you literally have to try and please everyone.

REALITY bites wink.gif
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Olympic Closing Ceremony - Bowie songs to feature
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website