<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Morrissey

February 27 2013 at 5:04 PM
Brett  (Login BrettAnderson)
BW Member
from IP address 82.20.87.41

Morrissey was once quoted as saying that no one over the age of 55 ever produced anything worthwhile (hence his planned retirement). I have a feeling that
Moz is going to be VERY jelous of The Next Day.

Incidentially...does anyone know when the video for Stars was filmed?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
gabe
(Login gabe_)
BW Member

Re: Morrissey

February 27 2013, 5:35 PM 

I hope he keeps his word. He can't turn 55 soon enough!!

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login SpookyElectric)
BW Member

No

February 27 2013, 5:42 PM 

Morrissey is literally a genius, despite the feud with David and such things.

Respond to this message   

(Login tintoy)
BW Member

February 27 2013, 5:43 PM 

me too, that statement is just stupid and ageist. Patti Smith? Lou Reed? Let's not even start on writers, artists, actors etc

Respond to this message   

Alan Titchmarsh
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

February 27 2013, 5:47 PM 

Perhaps a dig at Bowie. Bowie was 55 when Heathen came out, love that album!

Respond to this message   

Chilly-Eyes
(Login Chilly-Eyes)

February 27 2013, 5:56 PM 

What a drag.

Respond to this message   
gabe
(Login gabe_)
BW Member

February 27 2013, 6:10 PM 

"Morrissey is literally a genius, despite the feud with David and such things"

Yeah right. Running to multiple media sources crying because Bowie didn't let him use his photo on his new album, (which Bowie has absolutely nothing do with) isn't something genius a would do. It's something a classless attention seeker would do.

Look at the thousands of headlines Bowie has made the last few months and even the last decade. They have all been focused around his music. He never made headlines for taking shots at other artists, no racists remarks, no comparing meat eaters to Nazi's. Never shoved his political views down peoples throats. Bowie is classy and Moz is the playground bully.

Respond to this message   

tippidog
(Login tippidog)
BW Member

February 27 2013, 7:18 PM 

Moz is pretty essential for me. Very valuable in any discourse cos he takes an extreme or contrarian position and gets people to argue and think about it. He's blunt and not always right but he shakes things up...writes good songs too!

Genii aren't noted for playing by the rules or being consistently courteous either.

This message has been edited by tippidog from IP address 94.116.33.125 on Feb 27, 2013 7:19 PM

Respond to this message   

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 4:16 AM 

I gather he's got some kind of feud going with Jimmy Kimmel.

Revolution comes in the strangest ways

Respond to this message   
Brett
(Login BrettAnderson)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 7:44 AM 

Morrissey is pretty essential for me too.

I think the whole feud thing is overdone. Moz did put out a fantastic live version of Drive In Saturday a few years ago and Bowie has covered Moz on BTWN.

Respond to this message   

(Login SpookyElectric)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 9:05 AM 

I don't use the word genius lightly, either.

He's definitely rubbed his faire share of people up the wrong way in the past, but his heart is true and good and he has produced some incredible music. A great deal, in fact. And I don't think he compared meat eaters to Nazis - he compared the meat industry to Nazi death camps, didn't he?

I do wish they hadn't fallen out, though.

Respond to this message   

(Login TheLionheart)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 9:47 AM 

He used to be Spooky...but he's been releasing essentially the same song, never mind album, for the last 20 years.

And lest we forget his extreme bitchiness towards DB on Jonathan Ross:

JR: Imagine if David Bowie had [Latinos] as an audience.

M: I think he'd like ANY audience. [Audience oooohs and laughs]

JR: Now now, I know you had a tiff.

M: Well. Nothing like that happened. Now I know you love...

JR: I love David.

M: But do you know him, though?

JR: No, of course not. And I dont want to either, really.

M: Well, they do call him David Showie. Hes a business, you know. He's not really a person.

JR: You think so?

M: Trust me, Jonathan, I know. Why do you like him?

JR: I like him...

M: You like him because you liked him when you were 12.

JR: Yes. But I like his music now as well. Do you not like his new music?

M: Well my theory is that people fell in love with Ziggy Stardust and not really David Bowie. He doesnt realise that.

JR: I don't know. I liked the Lets Dance period as well. Did you like that?

M : No!

JR: You didn't like that?

M: No. Also, I think that when he was wonderful it was just the people around him in 71 & 72.

JR: No!

M: ...that gave him the hairstyle, that gave him the clothes, and gave him the...

JR: Morrissey. I think you're being unnecessarily bitchy about it now.

M: The entire audience agrees with me. [Audience laughs]

JR: That's not true. They've gone quiet. They're scared of you. They think you're going to shut the door and say, Thank God, they've gone.[Audience laughs]

JR: Do you find it in any way easy or impossible to forgive and forget people?

M: Which people?

JR: Like David, for example.

M: Not really. Not really. I could tell you stories, Jonathan, and you'd never listen to Let's Dance again.

Respond to this message   
David Buckley
(Login DavidKB)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 9:54 AM 

I don't take everything Mozza says as literal truth. He's mocking JR more than he is critiquing Bowie... Mozza is an obvious Bowie fan. There couldn't have been a Morrissey without Bowie first and he knows this.

Pop stars are all luvvies bitching and dissing each other and then falling in love with each other again. One day when all the rock stars are dead, and I am still alive, I'll do a book about what people told me 'off the record'!

Respond to this message   

KaDeWe
(Login KaDeWe)

February 28 2013, 10:06 AM 

All teenagers hate their parents!

Respond to this message   

(Login TheLionheart)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 10:09 AM 

Oh I agree there couldn't have been a Mozza without Bowie and I agree he knows this.

I've no doubt he's fan, at least of Ziggy.

Thing is, Mozza used to be quite subtle and clever in his put-downs i.e regarding Brett Anderson:

"Despite his claims to the contrary, I have never met Brett and wouldn't wish to; he seems like a deeply boring young man with Mr Kipling crumbs under his bed".

Now that's funny, withering and subtle.

Sadly, he seems to have lost that ability and just seems to bitch openly with no intelligence these days.

Respond to this message   

exploding man
(Login BossofYou)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 10:10 AM 

I'm less forgiving than you about Morrissey. Everybody did everything for Bowie indeed! Well everyone does everything for everybody. Johnny Marr did a fair bit for the Smiths. The point is that Bowie chooses his influences, his friends, his obsessions and makes something new with them. Bowie wrote All the Young Dudes - himself. He wrote Lust for Life. He wrote Ashes to Ashes. He wrote John I'm only Dancing. He wrote Sweet Thing. He wrote Hunkydory when he was only 24. As I've said before, it's tempting to think that just because Bowie very rarely plays instruments on stage that he wasn't involved in creating the music. He is much, much more of a craftsman than people give him credit for. He has been observed numerous times writing songs in front of people, the anecdote from Dave Grohl of Bowie constructing lyrics out of a collage he made on the spot is one of many testaments to this.

Respond to this message   

KaDeWe
(Login KaDeWe)

February 28 2013, 10:14 AM 

Bowie played virtually every instrument on Diamond Dogs, compare that to Mike Oldfield, Prince, Boston.

Albums are one thing, live shows are another, Bowie is one thing Moz is another.

Respond to this message   

iggyziggy3
(Login iggyziggy3)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 10:25 AM 

My response to people that say that other people are responsible for David's talent is this ... How many of them go on to make great records without him? Virtually none.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

KaDeWe
(Login KaDeWe)

February 28 2013, 10:34 AM 

Jimmy Page
Rick Wakeman
Brian Eno

Respond to this message   

(Login TheLionheart)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 10:51 AM 

Wakeman on Bowie:

"David Bowie is far and away the cleverest man I've ever worked with. Far and away. Absolute walking genius, David Bowie was, to work with. I did about 2,000 sessions in four years, and of all those sessions the person I learned more from, was David".

Respond to this message   

(Login EndloseAngst)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 11:03 AM 

I know that saying this is considered a huge crime in today's world. But I think that The Smiths is the most overrated band of the world. Their music sounds so boring to me. Morrissey's personality is not boring though. He seems like a terrible person but some things he says are quite entertaining.

Respond to this message   

Larranaga
(Login Larranaga)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 11:41 AM 

Morrissey obviously didn't think that quip through - he loved Sparks' Lil Beethoven and Ron Mael was 57 when they made that!

Respond to this message   
Fletcher Dax
(Login SomeAre)
BW Member

February 28 2013, 5:43 PM 

Morrissey has always talked too much. No class like his idol.
F.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Morrissey
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website