<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

David Bowie - A Christian?

October 6 2013 at 6:33 PM
No score for this post
Brett  (Login BrettAnderson)
BW Member
from IP address 109.150.154.24

I have been thinking recently whether David is a committed Christian. I was watching the excellent Five Years documentary and could not help noticing the discreet necklace with cross he was wearing in film taken around the time if low and heroes. People just don't wear crucifixes if they don't have religious conviction.

It is also notable that he was married in a church in Florence... Marriage promises in church are made in recognition of god and Jesus Christ. And then there was the courageous and some say bizarre moment during the Freddie Mercury concert when he dropped to his knees and said The Lord's Prayer. Coupled with appearances in The Last Temptation of Christ, overtly religios songs like Sunday and Loving the Alien and more recently portraying Jesus in The Next Day video!!!

The signs are all there !

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

MICHAEL FISH, UK HEIR
(Login LuisKantor)
BW Member

Re: David Bowie - A Christian?

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 7:57 PM 

I believe the crucifix he wears belonged to his father (I may be wrong).

But I'm sure Sam can find evidence in db's songs to answer your question definitively. Over to you, Sam.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Your days here are numbered...run along, dear"

This message has been edited by LuisKantor from IP address 109.73.65.155 on Oct 6, 2013 7:58 PM

Mt Obvious
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 8:18 PM 

This thread would indeed benefit from
a bit of Sam's ecumenical insight. Perhaps a
Sam/Em collaboration?

Sun, Rain, Fire, You, Me

richard
(Login ikonikon)
BW Member

Iman, Muslim woman and Jesus

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 11:49 PM 

I don't know about Iman and her beliefs, but I read many times/place that some schools of Islam accomodate Jesus and Yahweh.

FYI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_Islam

Christianity and Islam share a historical and traditional connection. The two faiths share a common origin in the Middle East[2] and Muslims consider Christians (and Jews) to be People of the Book. Belief in the Injil (the original Gospel of Jesus) is an important part of Islamic theology, although Muslims view the current Gospels as altered.

sam
(Login whitecaps)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 8:24 PM 

I would say Bowie is not a Christian. In fact, he used the crucifix he wore to explain it is not affiliated with any personal faith.

Regarding his role in Last Temptation, not at all evidence of a faith in Christ, nor being "married in a church, nor his songs, Sunday or Heathen.

In fact, a faithful Christian would not have been permitted to remarry after Angie, because the marriage was not dissolved due to his wife's adultery.

Regarding the Lord's Prayer, this might be evidence in a faith and obedience to Christ, but why then would he marry a Muslim, one who does not follow or believe in Christ at all?

In a relatively recent interview during Reality, Bowie described his religious stance as "not quite an atheist," which is not a strong declaration of a belief in Christ.

Possibly Bowie's greatest shortcoming is he does not fathom the beauty of the life of Christ, which may lend itself to a scribble from the Laugh Motel.

This message has been edited by whitecaps from IP address 71.114.15.141 on Oct 6, 2013 8:24 PM

gabe
(Login gabe_)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 8:33 PM 

He was a Christian but he's probably an atheist now.

Here is an interview from 2003

Q: After all these years of unsettling absolutes, you're calling your new album "Reality."

DB: It is ironic. You haven't seen the artwork yet, but there's a fakeness to the cover that undermines that. It's the old chestnut: What is real and what isn't? It's actually about who's stolen this world.

Q: Do you feel like your thinking about those questions has changed or deepened?

DB: I honestly believe that my initial questions haven't changed at all. There are far fewer of them these days, but they're really important. Questioning my spiritual life has always been germane to what I was writing. Always. It's because I'm not quite an atheist and it worries me. There's that little bit that holds on: "Well, I'm almost an atheist. Give me a couple of months." [Laughs]

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/2005/07/Im-Not-Quite-An-Atheist-And-It-Worries-Me.aspx

Ena_Sharples
(Login Call_yourself_a_prophet)

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 8:40 PM 

In what way is Bowie's presentation of the Lord's Prayer evidence of faith and obedience? He may as well of read Humpty Dumpty for all it was worth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heinz Kohut was right
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Psychodelicat_Grrr!
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 8:30 PM 

[linked image]

Michael
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 8:48 PM 

Bowie a christian? I wouldn't have thought so:

http://youtu.be/dssA5ApFbo0

Mist.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply posting on BWW." - Me.

MICHAEL FISH, UK HEIR
(Login LuisKantor)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 8:54 PM 

Oh, dear.

Not quite what we were hoping for, Sam! Where are the references to song lyrics???

I was hoping for lots of mention of false messiahs, "bullshit faith" and possibly the fact that "God's a young man too".

Can we have a full-scale, repeatedly-edited elditorial please and not just an impromptu collection of thoughts? Many thanks.

Sid
(Login Sidviscount)

David Bowie - A Christian?

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 10:13 PM 

"Regarding the Lord's Prayer, this might be evidence in a faith and obedience to Christ, but why then would he marry a Muslim, one who does not follow or believe in Christ at all?

TONY PARSONS: Why did you say the Lords Prayer at the Freddie Mercury tribute ?

DAVID BOWIE: I decided to do it about five minutes before I went on stage. Coco [Schwab, Bowie's long-term personal assistant] and I had a friend called Craig who was dying of AIDS. He was just dropping into a coma that day. And just before I went on stage something just told me to say the Lords Prayer. The great irony is that he died two days after the show.

In rock music, especially in the performance arena, there is no room for prayer, but I think that so many of the songs people write are prayers. A lot of my songs seem to be prayers for unity within myself. On a personal level, I have an undying belief in Gods existence. For me it is unquestionable.

Looking at what I have done in my life, in retrospect so much of what I thought was adventurism was searching for my tenuous connection with God. I was always investigating, always looking into why religions worked and what it was people found in them. And I was always fluctuating from one set of beliefs to another until a very low point in the mid-Seventies where I developed a fascination with black magic.

And although Im sure there was a satanic lead pulling me towards it, it wasn't a search for evil. It was in the hope that the signs might lead me somewhere. There seemed to be a path inherent in cabalistic religion. There seemed to be a path that one could follow. And of course it helped greatly that it was all so drug-induced. That really helped to blur the sense of reality of what I was getting involved in.

You could have done some research and included this in an elditorial. happy.gif

"The essay remains strong"

This message has been edited by Sidviscount from IP address 92.238.254.181 on Oct 6, 2013 10:15 PM

Mt Obvious
(Login Dr.Ink)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 6 2013, 10:26 PM 

That was great Sid! Sam is proving to
be an invaluable inspiration to you wink.gif ..neat.

Sun, Rain, Fire, You, Me

MICHAEL FISH, UK HEIR
(Login LuisKantor)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 7 2013, 12:25 AM 

Not a bad effort, Sid - but could have been improved by six more edits and references to chromatic scales and atonality.

Em
(Login crackedemerald)
BW Member

Re: Mr. Bowie and Christianity

No score for this post
October 7 2013, 12:46 AM 

Mr. Bowie has addressed the approximately Judeo-Christian God in some of his songs; he's also expressed Buddhist philosophy. My husband called himself "a Free-Lancer"; he had a relationship with God that had nothing to do with organized religion. I imagine Mr. Bowie's belief system runs along similar lines.

"Schtum!"

David Buckley
(Login DavidKB)
BW Member

Re: Mr. Bowie and Christianity

No score for this post
October 7 2013, 10:10 AM 

The crucifix was worn as a symbol of protection. There are interviews in the Seventies where he explains his reasoning but I cannot think of them off the top of my head. The cross represented some sort of power against the corrupting influences of the black magick he was becoming obsessed with at the time. 'Word On A Wing' is a prayer. It is as if Bowie's fragmented mind saw purity and protection in Christianity. I think Bowie is like many of us - spiritual without believing in organised religion so, not quite an atheist.

I used to wear a cross at the time too - just because Bowie wore one!

Brett
(Login BrettAnderson)
BW Member

Insight

No score for this post
October 7 2013, 12:36 PM 

Thank you everyone for your contributions. It seems clear to me that Bowie has a belief in God and in common with many of faith seeks a spiritual connection. He would definitely not seem to be an atheist. Incidentally being a Christian does not prevent you from marrying a non believer (atheist or other religion). Many people found themselves as Christians without actually going to church. I would put bowie in the category in the judo Christian tradition.

gabe
(Login gabe_)
BW Member

Re: Insight

No score for this post
October 7 2013, 2:13 PM 

judo Christian??? NO! Bowie himself said he is almost an atheist in 2003. He' probably agnostic.

MICHAEL FISH, UK HEIR
(Login LuisKantor)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 7 2013, 2:26 PM 

Judo or Judeo...?

[linked image]

Michael
(Login Mist001)
BW Member

No score for this post
October 7 2013, 2:32 PM 

Oh, go on then...............Just a quick game.............

[linked image]

Mist.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply posting on BWW." - Me.

Brett
(Login BrettAnderson)
BW Member

Can you be almost an athiest?

No score for this post
October 7 2013, 3:40 PM 

It's one of those things that either you are or are not? The implication is that he is actually NOT a athiest as being almost one means that actually he is not.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website