<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Who sang background vocals on Diamond Dogs?

March 23 2014 at 1:49 PM
No score for this post
sam  (Login whitecaps)
BW Member

Hi, who does the background singing on the Diamond Dogs album?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Mike
(Login mystertee)
BW Member

Re: Who sang background vocals on Diamond Dogs?

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 1:57 PM 

David himself?

sam
(Login whitecaps)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 1:59 PM 

Is he all?

Mike
(Login mystertee)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 2:14 PM 

I can't think of anyone else who did vocals, a clue might help.

Mike
(Login mystertee)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 2:01 PM 

A question back at ya sam. Whom did Bowie consult about laying down single performer multi-instrument recording before starting on Diamond Dogs?

sam
(Login whitecaps)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 2:03 PM 

Do you mean the way Bowie played rhythm guitar, saxophone, keyboards, and lead guitar on this album?

I don't know.

Mike
(Login mystertee)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 2:08 PM 

Yes, exactly. It was Todd Rundgren, who was no stranger to laying down all the instruments on some of his albums.

Mike
(Login mystertee)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 2:18 PM 

There is another Bowie / Rundgren connection in our hero's life circa 1978, what or who would that be?

sam
(Login whitecaps)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 2:27 PM 

He stole Bebe. I want to make it clear, I am not asking a trick question. I would like to know who sang background vocals on this album.

I never heard that Bowie consulted Todd before!

This message has been edited by whitecaps on Mar 23, 2014 2:28 PM

MGOSCH
(Login MGOSCH)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 3:49 PM 

War and Peace

Hwy101
(Login Highway101)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 4:36 PM 

Tony Levin too recent I suppose...
Earl Slick and Todd were connected to the all 'chick rocker' band Fanny...but...
The band Runt contained the Sales bro's...that's got to be it?

This message has been edited by Highway101 on Mar 23, 2014 4:49 PM

Mike
(Login mystertee)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 23 2014, 6:40 PM 

Roger Powell. He was Utopia's synth player and he was in Bowie's '78 Stage band.

sam
(Login whitecaps)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 24 2014, 1:26 PM 

Mike, are you forgetting the Bebe incident? She came with Todd, she left with Bowie.

CA
(Login CossacksAre)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 25 2014, 12:35 PM 

I just had a quick listen to the whole album, and as far as I can tell, it's only him. It's quite clear on most tracks, the one I had a doubt about was Rock'n'roll With Me, but the it also sounds like him. I thought the harmonies in the chorus were a lot bigger, but it seems it is mostly down to the use of reverbs.

He went at lengths to make it sound natural, and I must say - it really does. On the title track, the backings are quite heavily treated with a tremolo. On quite a few of the songs, he tames down his powerful vibrato and sings at both the extremes of his register. It is no mean feat to achieve that - for most singers, harmonizing with themselves tends to make the weak points of their singing stand out a bit more with every track they add on top of the others. I don't think anyone doubted about his supernatural ability to do this sort of stuff - just look at his singing on Satellite of Love - but it is impressive nevertheless.

Another thing - I think his having a hard time mixing the album is explained by the fact it was mostly recorded with overdubs. In his previous works, most of the songs were largely played live by the band before recording, and this tends to force the arrangements into different sonic frequencies - for instance, the guitars and the keyboards end up not playing in the exact same register, which makes the mixing a lot easier. On this one, a lot of the different parts step on each other's toes, especially the guitars and saxes. This would happen on any ambitiously orchestrated recording, but might at least partly explain why Bowie had to call Visconti in the end.

Mike
(Login mystertee)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 25 2014, 1:06 PM 

Sam, no I did not forget that. David's a sneaky little cuss ain't he. I wonder how many times they talked after that one happy.gif

Anonymous
(Login hang_man)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 25 2014, 1:13 PM 

No one has mentioned Rod Stewart yet?

sam
(Login whitecaps)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 25 2014, 1:40 PM 

CA, I'm not sure how to say this, but your wonderful contributions are a welcome addition to this board.

About Rod Stewart, yes the live crowd noise on Future Legend and the
"Yay" is Rod Stewart himself. Perhaps Bowie wanted to have a sloppy Faces feel on the title track?

Here's a question I have always had about Bowie's guitar playing on this album: does anyone know what kind of guitar Bowie used for this album?

A Strat? A Les Paul? Some type of other?

Leo
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 25 2014, 1:45 PM 

Interesting read that ca.
I'm in agreement with what you have said.
I believe it's all bowie and quite possibly warren peace on rock n roll with me, considering it's a co-write with him too it makes sense.
Don't know the rod stewart connection i thought it was ronnie wood who was knocking around about that time.

Rodriguez
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 25 2014, 4:07 PM 

That co-write is significant. I think it was Bowie's first one ever. From then on, his albums were littered with them. Iggy, Carlos, Reeves etc.. Buddha might be the only album since Aladdin Sane which has no co-writes.

Rodriguez
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 25 2014, 4:10 PM 

Thanks Wiki. It just confirmed what I wondered. Scary Monsters had no co-writes either!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website