<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Leo
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

Re: Who sang background vocals on Diamond Dogs?

No score for this post
March 25 2014, 6:01 PM 

And they are all the better for it bender.
Monsters and buddha are both class and the best of there relevant decades.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

Jack
(Login jackhalloween)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 27 2014, 5:39 AM 

"Don't know the rod stewart connection i thought it was ronnie wood who was knocking around about that time"

The crowd noise at the beginning of Diamond Dogs is lifted from a live Faces album,the "hey" is Rod Stewart.
Cheers,
Jack

CA
(Login CossacksAre)
BW Member

No score for this post
March 27 2014, 11:39 AM 

Shame there are no photographs of the sessions - none of Bowie actually playing instruments, that is. The guitar is definitely not equipped with single-coils - even through the heavy treatments (chorus, etc), the guitar sounds has too much grain to be anything Strat-like. My guess would be a Les Paul or an SG, at least, something with humbuckers an easy access to the top of the neck, with every part doubled or tripled-up to get that nice, George Harrison-type sound on Sweet Thing & We Are the Dead. But it's really hard to tell.

I found this http://www.freewebs.com/theyearofthediamonddog/diamonddogssessions.htm but I question the accuracy of some of the details; the author seems confused about Visconti making use of the Eventide Harmonizer on the album:

"The Eventide digital delay processing unit is one of the first of its kind, capable of changing the pitch of a signal without sacrificing the tempo. This means that a vocal or guitar can be fed into the Eventide enabling the pitch to be raised or lowered. This effect can be especially heard on David's lead vocal track during the 'Sweet Thing' suite."

(Only Bowie's tenor range - no electronics!)

Which reminds me - his saxophone playing throughout the album, although not too demonstrative, is really neat and interesting. It is not that easy to hit the low notes on a baritone sax with an untrained embouchure and stay in tune, which makes me think he hadn't been too out of practice on the instrument at this point.

Sorry, I hope I don't bore you guys with my musician spiel.

This message has been edited by CossacksAre on Mar 27, 2014 11:46 AM

Anonymous
(Login rickyowen)
BW Member

No score for this post
August 11 2017, 12:04 AM 

Yes that quote is wrong.The device Visconti used was an Eventide but the model was a 1745M digital delay.Apart from the Bro bro bro bro at the end of the album it was mainly used on Bowies guitar(alembic apparently) on sweet thing.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website