<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Which Bowie song touches you deepest?

April 22 2014 at 11:45 AM
No score for this post
Ena_Sharples  (Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Listening an article on Radio4 about Myfanwy. Cerys Matthews said "it is the perfect example of music and lyrics, the prefect marriage that touches her deeply.

I feel the same about Lady Grinning Soul. I actually think it may be David's finest ever song. I quite like Letter To Hermione, but as a composition I think Bowie created a near perfect track with LGS.
"I feel I may be the subject of The Prettiest Star"

https://godisimaginary.com/

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dash_Away
(Login Dash_Away)
BW Member

Re: Which Bowie song touches you deepest?

No score for this post
April 22 2014, 1:12 PM 

That's a pretty impossible question to answer, Ena. Where on earth do you start? Bewlay Brothers or Heroes? Life on Mars or Lady Grinning Soul? Word On A Wing or Where Are We Now? Absolute Beginners or Starman? Subterraneans or Moss Garden? The list goes on and on....

I suppose Where Are We Now? would be my current choice at the moment. A beautiful song, appearing - like Bowie himself - out of nowhere after 10 years of silence and rumour, it moved me greatly when I first heard it. Full of dust and memories of times gone by and a present and future that remains hopeful but uncertain, it's already a Bowie classic in my book. But like I say, tomorrow it could be The Bewlay Brothers or Heroes or Moss Garden or........................

This message has been edited by Dash_Away on Apr 22, 2014 1:14 PM

sweetythang
(Login sweetythang)
BW Member

I think I'm almost with you on Lady Grinning Soul...

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 22 2014, 1:15 PM 

Although the raw emotion found on Young Americans may just take the number one (and two) spot here... It's Gonna Be Me and Can You Hear Me are such absolute beauties, especially when played live.

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

Re: I think I'm almost with you on Lady Grinning Soul...

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 22 2014, 1:26 PM 

No necessarily on topic, but I would love to see in the future an older Bowie sing "Time". I think it would be great, in the same way Johnny Cash did "Hurt".

nick
(Login nickfa)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 22 2014, 5:58 PM 

what was his last cut ? surely that's the deepest

Ena_Sharples
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 22 2014, 6:52 PM 

I think Bowie does emotional and moving numbers so well. I particularly love Wild Is The Wind and his performance on Baal is sublime.

Good choices there.

nick
(Login nickfa)
BW Member

different songs at different times

No score for this post
April 22 2014, 7:19 PM 

To me letter to Hermione and conversation piece meant a lot at one time

chris
(Login desk32)
BW Member

Re: different songs at different times

No score for this post
April 22 2014, 10:20 PM 

Conversation piece hits me hard 2001 version. Im a thinker not a talker. Got no one to talk to anyway, also quicksand with the line, 'im not a prophet or a stone a man just a model with potential of a superman. Im living on' those lines are going to be on my gravestone.

Rodriguez
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 22 2014, 10:56 PM 

I think the lyrics are: "I'm not a prophet or a stone age man just a mortal with potential of a superman. I'm living on'"

Also, I agree with you about Conversation Piece 2001 version happy.gif

MGOSCH
(Login MGOSCH)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 22 2014, 11:34 PM 

Sweet Thing

Nemo
(Login whidbeyisland)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 23 2014, 12:32 AM 

"I suppose Where Are We Now? would be my current choice at the moment. A beautiful song, appearing - like Bowie himself - out of nowhere after 10 years of silence and rumour, it moved me greatly when I first heard it. Full of dust and memories of times gone by and a present and future that remains hopeful but uncertain, it's already a Bowie classic in my book. "

Succinctly stated by Dash_Away.

I consider it in the same category as Joan Baez's 'Diamonds and Rust.' There's a reason it was his first release from the new album.

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 23 2014, 3:00 AM 

Is it nice in your snow storm, freezing your brain?
Do you think that your face looks the same?
Then let it be, it's all I ever wanted
It's a street with a deal, and a taste
It's got claws, it's got me, it's got you..

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 23 2014, 2:57 AM 

Heathen is a more recent one that gets me every time. It is an incredibly powerful ballad without needing a lot of lyrics, and is deeply touches me every time. Especially when Bowie bellows "You say you'll leave me..."

I love it in concert too, but can't understand why everyone continuously clapped their hands? Perhaps the song is completely misunderstood? Anyways, I love it even if no one else does.

As for a more recent one, I have to go with "Heat". It isn't so much that I relate to the song, but the overall song just deeply moves me. I may be the only one here who is absolutely in love with "Heat" and put it as one of my favorites.

But as for my all time Bowie songs that move me, the winner is easily "Quicksand". I can't really give an explanation why, but it has become my new "Life On Mars" which would probably come in second. "Life On Mars" though has been so overplayed, that I feel like "Quicksand" has become my hidden treasure...

Now as for if I saw Bowie live one more time, the one song I would want to hear (yes I am going to get KILLED for this!) is Space Oddity. Speaking of overplayed (at least until 1990!) Well the first time I saw Bowie in 1990 S+V tour he of course opened the show with Space Oddity (if you don't count Beethoven's Fifth). Since then, he has rarely played it live. So I would like to hear him sing it one more time. It was one of my first favorite Bowie songs (not including any of the stuff available in the 80s). It was my introduction to Classic David Bowie. It was the start of a discovery of Bowie music for me. Listening to each album one by one old LPs. It was the first song I heard off the LP and I immediately fell in love with it. So for me, I want to hear his sing it one last time. "Can you hear me, Major Tom?"

Leo
(Login sylvianne)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 23 2014, 4:02 AM 

Uncle floyd for me.
Even more so than slip away.

sammy mcnight
(Login pleasecomeaway)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 23 2014, 4:57 AM 

"As for a more recent one, I have to go with "Heat". It isn't so much that I relate to the song, but the overall song just deeply moves me. I may be the only one here who is absolutely in love with "Heat" and put it as one of my favorites."

Deeply moving yes, for me too, but in the most foreboding way. The chilling account of a lost soul.

www.gettheebehind.me

Nonsuch42
(Login Nonsuch42)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 23 2014, 8:41 AM 

Word on a Wing or Uncle Floyd for me - both of them never fail to get to me.

Rodriguez
(Login BenderRodriguez)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 23 2014, 10:12 AM 

"Heathen is a more recent one that gets me every time. It is an incredibly powerful ballad without needing a lot of lyrics, and is deeply touches me every time. Especially when Bowie bellows "You say you'll leave me..."

I love it in concert too, but can't understand why everyone continuously clapped their hands? Perhaps the song is completely misunderstood? Anyways, I love it even if no one else does."

The clapping is because of the handclaps in the songs, the incongruous percussion making it even more unsettling, Bowie does it after he finishes singing and the audience follows him. It's no Radio Gaga, that's for sure.

I agree it's an incredible song. So moving. It's because of the chords that break down the pattern in the song about 3 or 4 times, so they're a little unexpected and work brilliantly with the vocal melody.

It's in the key of Ab, and oscillates between Db and Eb with an absolutely majestic yet ambient guitar solo intro shimmering over the extended opening bars on the live version. That alone makes it beautiful enough, but the addition of the accidentals makes it one of my favourite ever Bowie songs.

The main pattern is a slow Db then Eb , back and forth, with Ab Fm resolving and completing the cycle after (Coldplay's Viva la Vida uses that exact progression for the entire song) but then with the "waiting for something" section, Bowie drops in a Gb, and the Ab goes from major to minor before it reverts back to the normal pattern (Gb) waiting for (Ab) something (Abm) looking for (Db) someone. It sort of pulls you out of your comfort zone and adds a wonderful kick to the song.

Then it does a similar thing, but slightly differently "(Gb) Is there no (Eb) reason? (Ab) Have I stared too (Fm) long?", almost the original progression, but a Gb displacing the Db in the 4 chord cycle.

"(Db) oh oh (Eb) oh (Db) oh oh ( Eb) oh..."

And I agree, the next part is perhaps the most moving. Bowie drops in that Gb again, but sings higher, reaching Eb, which augments the chord to make it sound like a Gb6, (or a Ebm with Gb on the bass). So it's a major chord that ends up feeling like a minor one. Imbuing the song with even more emotion.

"You'll say you (Gb) leave me (Ab) (Fm) (C7)" A new chord added, C7, twisting the song even further from where it was originally, and another progression to wrap your ears around.

Then it reverts back to the original Db Eb Am Fm progression, but reordered to give a different emotional resonance, for when Bowie sings "and the rays high" the note is Eb on "rays" and, combined with the chord at the time (Db), it gives a temporary feeling of optimism, as though the Sun shines into the song as a glimpse of hope.

"And when the (Ab) Sun's low (Fm) and the (Db) rays high (Eb)"

I can (Gb)feel it now (Ab) I can (Fm) feel it die (C7) (Same as the "you'll say you'll leeeeave me" section) Bowie singing feel it die over a minor chord

Then the wonderfully understated Db Eb progression returns and Bowie slowly claps before being led away like a blind man by Gail as Gerry's guitar completes the outro.

So, throughout the song, Bowie keeps on changing and reordering it, yet not to the point of it becoming an incoherent mess, but a slowly shifting and moving song. So moving that Bowie said he had tears streaming down his face when he wrote it. I really had to listen to it 20 times to properly appreciate it as there was so much to take in.

MGOSCH
(Login MGOSCH)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 23 2014, 11:59 AM 

If you are talking about recent ones...THE NEXT DAY title track is the best and everyday i listen again.

Ena_Sharples
(Login betty_turpin)
BW Member

Score 5.0 (1 person)
April 23 2014, 12:57 PM 

Where Are We Now is beautiful. I wanted to weep when I first heard it.

V2David
(Login v2david)
BW Member

No score for this post
April 23 2014, 4:32 PM 

Thanks for your incredible breakdown of Heathen. I can feel the tears every time Bowie sings it.

What is amazing for me also is the fact there are so few words in Heathen, yet it emotes so much.

This message has been edited by v2david on Apr 23, 2014 4:34 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Back to BowieWonderworld website